Draft Expert PMBangers' 2021 Draft Board - Come for the R1 phantom (post #1591), stay for the Simpsons references

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 1160643
View attachment 1160645

So idea stolen from eDPS here's my shot at a top 50 phantom draft if it were to happen today, please note that it's not necessarily indicative of my rankings, there's guys I've got going here who as it stands probably wouldn't be in my top 50-60 if I was to do one, it's more trying to address club need/ guess where clubs might take a punt on a guy that might have a few things to iron out (Mitch Knevitt a good example).

There's some value late as it stands for me, but it's hard to have a clear picture prior to the champs to compare these kids to the rest of the draft class, and get a better read of their traits v other genuine prospects rather than their home competition opponents

I would have preferred for Richmond with our first 3 picks
Williams
Bazzo
Draper

Bazzo & Williams to replace an ageing Riewoldt & Astbury

I would have preferred for Richmond with our first 3 picks
Williams
Bazzo
Draper

Bazzo & Williams to replace an ageing Riewoldt & Astbury
Nah, Andrew projects to be better than both KPP's imo and matches more of what Richmond traditionally go for in their big men as of late, and Draper doesn't have a great defensive side of his game which is another thing Richmond don't recruit really

View attachment 1160643
View attachment 1160645

So idea stolen from eDPS here's my shot at a top 50 phantom draft if it were to happen today, please note that it's not necessarily indicative of my rankings, there's guys I've got going here who as it stands probably wouldn't be in my top 50-60 if I was to do one, it's more trying to address club need/ guess where clubs might take a punt on a guy that might have a few things to iron out (Mitch Knevitt a good example).

There's some value late as it stands for me, but it's hard to have a clear picture prior to the champs to compare these kids to the rest of the draft class, and get a better read of their traits v other genuine prospects rather than their home competition opponents

I see both lists have Geelong picking Mitch Knevitt ... something in that? I suspect he would suit needs.

Geelong have a few NON - Father Sons this year. I see Brewer mention in the press. Any chance.

I see both lists have Geelong picking Mitch Knevitt ... something in that? I suspect he would suit needs.

Geelong have a few NON - Father Sons this year. I see Brewer mention in the press. Any chance.
Athletic big bodied midfielder, the sort of player/ profile that's likely to see him rise as a possible first rounder with some more good performances. I've liked the patches where he's looked switched on but they're not frequent or long enough right now to confidently say he'll go first round, but certainly one to watch at the champs! As for Geelong specifically, without doing a deep dive into your list I don't see a massive hole, so that developmental type might suit, and obviously the Falcons link helps.

Breuer is certainly a chance, I haven't really focused on him when he's gone through the guts yet so that's on my to do list, but certainly from what's been described to me by other watchers (i.e. eDPS mostly) he's putting in good enough performances to suggest that he is.

What do you make of Joel Trudgeon?
Strong inside mid that just has it on a string most weeks, clean enough disposal as well which is one of the main things that gets inside mids overlooked. I don't know what to make of his athleticism though, never really see him reach top speed or weave through traffic or fly high for a mark, which sort of brings me to the 'vanilla' conclusion unfortunately, but as far as 'vanilla' mids go in the NAB League he's up there as arguably the best

Horne & Rachelle would be quite the combination.

When you factor in the rumours of Brady Rawlings brewing up some big deals via the PSD/FA, it looks as a pretty exciting offseason for North supporters.

With all the recent talk around Sam Darcy, feel it's worth putting in my write up on his performance vs Northern Knights from Saturday

#14 Sam Darcy

The rapidly rising Western Bulldogs father-son prospect further solidified his claims to the best key position prospect in the pool, with a strong display where he was put into a few different spots. Starting the day in the defensive 50, Darcy looked clean throughout, showing off some clean pick-ups below his knees early on where he followed up with good use by foot, usually into central spots to keep the ground open for Oakleigh up ahead. In the second quarter he seemingly couldn’t drop anything, holding onto the ball overhead even when there was heavy contact, or in pack situations. It was impressive to see his confidence to take the game on following his marks, happy to play on and get past or around opponents to get extra distance and penetration on his kicks. He played a little more in the ruck in the third term where his height was too much to deal with for Northern, directing the ball well from the taps clear from his opposition ruck. In the forwardline, he presented well even with a heavy lockdown focus from the opposition, getting himself a goal in the fourth term.

(other write ups here) https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/2021/06/23/scouting-notes-2021-nab-league-boys-round-9/

Sandringham have this week promoted Finn Callaghan to joint vice captain of the Dragons team this year. Another sign of his rapid rise this year

With Birchall probably retiring and Rich closer to the end than the beginning we will need a very good kick out of the backhalf. Which players do you rate as the best kicks in the draft, don’t have to be specifically HBF as Rich was drafted as a mid?

With Birchall probably retiring and Rich closer to the end than the beginning we will need a very good kick out of the backhalf. Which players do you rate as the best kicks in the draft, don’t have to be specifically HBF as Rich was drafted as a mid?
For the range of Brisbane's two first picks I think two half back flankers, Sam Banks and Lewis Rayson, would be up there with the best kicks available. A left field one would be Blake Howes who's currently a wing/ half forward, but he gets a fair amount of penetration on his long distance kicks.

Darcy Wilmot I'm a fan of, like many, as one of the better HBF prospects in the pool, and whilst his kicking probably isn't as good as the first two his top line speed is pretty good for making up the difference

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the range of Brisbane's two first picks I think two half back flankers, Sam Banks and Lewis Rayson, would be up there with the best kicks available. A left field one would be Blake Howes who's currently a wing/ half forward, but he gets a fair amount of penetration on his long distance kicks.

Darcy Wilmot I'm a fan of, like many, as one of the better HBF prospects in the pool, and whilst his kicking probably isn't as good as the first two his top line speed is pretty good for making up the difference
I like the sound of Sam Banks and he looks like a good size as well from some of the measurements, what's his actual defending like? Does he have any intercept marking potential?

I like the sound of Sam Banks and he looks like a good size as well from some of the measurements, what's his actual defending like? Does he have any intercept marking potential?
He positions well and can take a grab pretty reliably without pressure, but he's not going to be a massive intercept marking threat consistently unless a team is essentially feeding them to him

PMBangers & eDPS do any of the players either you mentioned have the booming kick Rich does?

Thoughts on De Bolfo and Fitzgerald at Knights, I only watched their match against Gippsland but thought they were both excellent rebounding/intercepting defenders. I was equally as impressed with them as I was with Wilmot.

Thoughts on De Bolfo and Fitzgerald at Knights, I only watched their match against Gippsland but thought they were both excellent rebounding/intercepting defenders. I was equally as impressed with them as I was with Wilmot.
They are both good players, Wilmot is just more consistently better at contests and decision making ect which gives him the edge on the other 2, I think its the difference between mid draft and rookie, maybe missing out from my PoV, seeing as only the best 40 approx from the NAB League get drafted.

I don't think either are particularly damging enough, or have much of a difference from most defenders to be considered overly highly in the draft. De Bolfo in particularly really needs a 'wow' factor as a 19 year old, further than collecting higher numbers or just being capable

PMBangers ... do you see the split of talent tomorrow as being reasonably even? How is missing from the games... I saw sinn was playing today.
Sonsie, Long, Sinn, Chesser, Brown, Butler, Serong and Andrew are missing through injury. Game 1 should be pretty competitive with an even split across both sides, but game 2 will likely be a Metro slaughter, they're just stacked comparative to Country

Did you see the Sandringham v oakleigh game ? If so how did sinn look , I was surprised to see him finish with only 13 poss in such a dominant win.
Playing half back on return from an injury with limited minutes, nothing out if the ordinary

Banks is supposedly playing a half against Sandringham next Saturday in his first hit out since breaking his wrist.
A big Allies campaign could see his stocks rise considerably. Probably the best dual sided player in the draft. Elite.

I wonder how much the Allies would be affected by the Covid situation with the NSW boys??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back