Draft Expert PMBangers' 2021 Draft Board - Come for the R1 phantom (post #1591), stay for the Simpsons references

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt on him not being as good as some previous talls, I don't think he necessarily goes higher than any of the guys taken in last years top 10, maybe Reid? but even in comparison to Reid he's probably not as athletic. Personally, and it's probably a little bias given VIC footy is what I watch the most of, I can't think of champs team with a proper answer for Darcy in terms of personnel outside of Gibcus, as a team WA have a strong backline and might be able to negate him that way but I don't think SA or the Allies quite have it in them to stop him

I've always said the SA and WA teams are better coached than the Vic ones. Might not have the depth of talent, but they play a strong game at the Champs. They'd no doubt employ a stronger defensive structure than Darcy would have faced at school level or in trial games, with increased midfield pressure.

Speaking just on SA, I'd probably go with Oscar Adams as the direct match up. Better athlete, not giving up much size. Even if he isn't as good a defender as others. Look to expose his speed off the mark and just limit his obvious height advantage. And you'd then have Cooper Beecken as the loose intercept defender and Zac Becker getting across to help out and minimise the one on ones.

Think I'm getting more into coaching than my original point now...

Think I'm getting more into coaching than my original point now...
Staying in your lane isn't a notable trait of draft watchers :p

I've always said the SA and WA teams are better coached than the Vic ones. Might not have the depth of talent, but they play a strong game at the Champs. They'd no doubt employ a stronger defensive structure than Darcy would have faced at school level or in trial games, with increased midfield pressure.

Speaking just on SA, I'd probably go with Oscar Adams as the direct match up. Better athlete, not giving up much size. Even if he isn't as good a defender as others. Look to expose his speed off the mark and just limit his obvious height advantage. And you'd then have Cooper Beecken as the loose intercept defender and Zac Becker getting across to help out and minimise the one on ones.
And I agree on that, also feels like often VIC teams will be the best 25 kids selected rather than the best in each position at times, which is a tricky balance given you want to showcase the likely talents but also don't want to run out with 18 midfielders and 4 tall blokes, but without seeing WA or SA against another champs side it's difficult to say with confidence they'd be able to negate it. The thing working against Darcy though is probably the fact that he's the only consistent target up forward for Metro, Paea can be good but really needs the first contest of the day to go his way or he seems to struggle, whereas say in WA's circumstance, if you focus your defence on negating an Amiss then Williams or Van Rooyen are going to capitalise. I hope we get a Champs as everyone does though, I think WA would walk in an undefeated run tbh

Just finished the first half of Central Districts v South Adelaide to see the Horne performance and wow, I think anyone waiting for a genuinely dominant display from Horne still complaining after that will have some eyebrows raised in their direction. I haven't watched as much Horne this year as I should have, because I didn't think there was anything else he really had to show, but after watching this and seeing the attention he cops it's not difficult to see why his numbers have plateaued. I've also liked the look of Leek Alleer in defense who I know has been mentioned around here a bit, a lot to work with given his leap and closing speed, could sharpen up his disposal but in an AFL system I don't think it'd be that detrimental if you played the right style. It's also good to see Grubb handle the step up so well

Just finished the first half of Central Districts v South Adelaide to see the Horne performance and wow, I think anyone waiting for a genuinely dominant display from Horne still complaining after that will have some eyebrows raised in their direction. I haven't watched as much Horne this year as I should have, because I didn't think there was anything else he really had to show, but after watching this and seeing the attention he cops it's not difficult to see why his numbers have plateaued. I've also liked the look of Leek Alleer in defense who I know has been mentioned around here a bit, a lot to work with given his leap and closing speed, could sharpen up his disposal but in an AFL system I don't think it'd be that detrimental if you played the right style. It's also good to see Grubb handle the step up so well
Leek Aleer. What are your thoughts on what his specific role will be, and where do you think he's likely to go in the draft?

Leek Aleer. What are your thoughts on what his specific role will be, and where do you think he's likely to go in the draft?
second or third KPD would be my guess, not that he couldn't take the main forward but is probably at his bets when given some freedom to push off and take intercept marks. AS a lazy comparison he could probably play a Haynes type of role for a side. Hard to tell on draft range given he's a mature ager, but I'd be comfortable using a pick from 25 onwards for him depending on who's on the board

I've also liked the look of Leek Alleer in defense who I know has been mentioned around here a bit

Probably 95% of which has been by me. Top mature aged prospect in the draft. I’d love Alleer at Fremantle.

Thoughts on Hayden Sampson? I’ve wanted him drafted the last couple of years. Just improves that little bit each week. Wish he was a little bigger, but more talented than some of the mature aged guys taken out of the SANFL recently.

Thoughts on Hayden Sampson? I’ve wanted him drafted the last couple of years. Just improves that little bit each week. Wish he was a little bigger, but more talented than some of the mature aged guys taken out of the SANFL recently.
You would've seen much more than me, but I like him for a state league player, just not seeing what the standout AFL trait is (again from limited viewing)

I’d argue a lack of champs could help Darcy. His stocks have never been higher. And without them, he’d go unchallenged as the top tall.

But I don’t think he’s as good as some of the highly rated talls from previous drafts. Playing against better opposition and better defensive structures at the champs potentially could expose his weaknesses. The Bulldogs aren’t passing on him, so clubs might not bother bidding on someone who’s good, not great.
So he’s more of a Schache clone dominant against smaller opponents but unlike Schac may actually be capable of playing good football as a key forward

You would've seen much more than me, but I like him for a state league player, just not seeing what the standout AFL trait is (again from limited viewing)

I don't think he really has a standout AFL trait, but neither do a lot of AFL players. I just think he could be a decent fringe player, always around the best 25. Sort of like a David Mackay...which means Adelaide fans will instantly hate him.

I don't think he really has a standout AFL trait, but neither do a lot of AFL players. I just think he could be a decent fringe player, always around the best 25. Sort of like a David Mackay...which means Adelaide fans will instantly hate him.

Yeah, please, 200 games for that kind of player is enough for one lifetime.

I'm pretty optimistic about Alleer as a prospect too and in hindsight I wish I'd spoken about him on the podcast. I think it's looking more and more likely that he's on a list next year with the only question being whether it's through the National, Rookie or SSP. You're spot on re his disposal - it kind of makes me a little uneasy but more times that not gets to where it's intended.

I'm pretty optimistic about Alleer as a prospect too and in hindsight I wish I'd spoken about him on the podcast. I think it's looking more and more likely that he's on a list next year with the only question being whether it's through the National, Rookie or SSP. You're spot on re his disposal - it kind of makes me a little uneasy but more times that not gets to where it's intended.
He's got the burst of speed and leap to play as a forward too I think, so the sort that any club could do with. It'll be interesting, if you compare him to Schlensog who's been getting a bit of love, whilst Alleer isn't quite that product yet, I think he's got a lot more to like from a development POV, so would be going for him if given the option of one or the other

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the South Adelaide v Central Districts reserves, not surprise at Draper and Roberts being impressive despite the long term lay offs, some thoughts;
- I've been critical of Drapers work rate, I may have exaggerated that on revision. I still don't think it's great, but he definitely pushes to get to every stoppage and will lay a tackle if it's there to be laid, he just isn't a gut runner. Still needs improvement but I don't think it's the achilles heel I was convinced it was. His work forward of the ball was really good as well, dropped a couple of marks he should've held and got infringed a few times, but the option he presents as is really dangerous. Speaking to eDPS I think we both agree that seeing him play at SANFL league level or champs as a more permanent forward would be great, that's the role he's likely to play at the next level and he's got the skillset for it.
-Roberts was good, had more of it and probably was more consistent quarter-to-quarter and worked hard both ways, I don't think he'll really rise from where he is for me, and if he does it won't be a dramatic rise into the top 10 or something (unless he has some really good performances from here, which is a very real possibility). Most people have said it, he's just a natural footballer, one of the safer picks this year which may see him go top 10, but don't think he's got the ceiling of a lot of others
-Dudley didn't win a whole heap of the ball but he played really well imo, just put on an incredible amount of pressure through the midfield, to the point where he was effecting disposals from the South ruck purely from being around. He won first possession a few times as well from ruck hands, but was wrapped up due to how South players positioned around the stoppages. He's another one I want to see some more of against bigger bodies
- Austin McDonald is 2022 eligible and a big disposal getter in the midfield, has a below average kick but does most other things well, especially providing as a switch option from the backline, worked hard to be that option a few times. I was impressed with his physicality around stoppages, it caught a few opponents off guard and got him a couple of clearances/ first possession gets

2 games to go so probs round 20.PNG
Phantoms are getting harder which is always a great sign at this point in the year! The seemingly rapid rise from Rachele and Draper isn't a sign of my rankings changing, but it seems to be more and more obvious that they're rated as potential top 10 picks amongst recruiters.

View attachment 1201548
Phantoms are getting harder which is always a great sign at this point in the year! The seemingly rapid rise from Rachele and Draper isn't a sign of my rankings changing, but it seems to be more and more obvious that they're rated as potential top 10 picks amongst recruiters.
Am curious- what do you see as being the real strengths of Hobbs that would lead to us picking him over someone like Erasmus or Rachele? For mine both probably fill a role with less depth than Hobbs does (given our midfield is 95% inside mids)

Am curious- what do you see as being the real strengths of Hobbs that would lead to us picking him over someone like Erasmus or Rachele? For mine both probably fill a role with less depth than Hobbs does (given our midfield is 95% inside mids)
I think Hobbs is likely to be a better contested ball winner than majority of your current mids (I say this having watched maybe 3 games of Hawthorn this year), and really for what his role is he's a decent user of the ball, so shouldn't be a traditional sort that is a liability when they have to kick it/ get in space. In the specific context of Rachele/ Erasmus v Hobbs, I did consider Erasmus strongly, along with Goater, given both can fill roles in the forward line as well and are more outside leaning than Hobbs so could fit with that current group more seamlessly, it just came down to Hobbs being safer from my view as an AFL player and the fact I think you'll spend some years down the bottom yet. As for Rachele, I've moved him up in my phantom because it seems he's considered in that range, but I'm still not convinced clubs are picking him as a midfielder given we've seen him play predominantly forward even at NAB League level, and you guys don't have a massive need for a small forward to the point where you'd use a top end pick on one, I think

I'd be happy with that as draft haul for us.
Is Mac Andrew going to go that high though??
I'd have thought the Suns would go for someone far less risky. They cant afford to burn a top 5(ish) pick
Suns have enough young talent on the list they can go for who they project to be the highest ceiling talent, which I think is Andrew at that stage, it helps that if it pays off he fills two roles they need reinforcement in. I think they should be trying to trade it for a mature KPP though tbh, they dont need more picks.

As for how high he goes, I wouldn't be shocked, I've said it on our board I'd be happy for us to take him if Gibcus is gone, very rare to get a player that tall with his mobility and general athleticism, he'll need some time to bulk up but his skills are actually really good already, so one less thing to worry about with his development

View attachment 1201548
Where do I sign as a freo fan?

View attachment 1201548
Erasmus :hearteyes:

Give us a general defender and the Freo board would come for your head
Congratulations on your top 10 selection of Bodhi Uwland!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back