Autopsy Swans tarnish Saints Halo by 51 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon we're being a bit harsh on Max King. Kicked 35 goals for the year, top 5 in the comp, one of the youngest members of a team that was diabolical, gave him s**t supply and didn't look like they cared. Same age as Rowbottom who was a non-factor last night and McInerney who some on here don't even have in our team next week.

King's a quality player and a hard working forward who had a stinker. Big deal.
I was agreeing with you all the way, even clicked like... and then got to the bolded line!

Rowbottom had 13 touches, 8 tackles (team highest), 2 score involvements, 2 intercepts and 3 clearances... and you think he was a non-factor?!

And you reckon they're being harsh on King???!!!

I was agreeing with you all the way, even clicked like... and then got the bolded line!

Rowbottom had 13 touches, 8 tackles (team highest), 2 score involvements, 2 intercepts and 3 clearances... and you think he was a non-factor?!

And you reckon they're being harsh on King???!!!

That is fair KS. I didn't mean it to be harsh. I didn't think he was bad. He just had no impact (which as a mid, you could argue is being bad.)

6 of those touches came in the last quarter when the game was well and truly curtains and he actually started, y'know... going for the ball.

Up to that point he'd had 7 touches, 2 tackles, 0 score involvements and 1 clearance. I really don't think I was being unreasonable saying he was a non-factor. The kid's a gun. Hate the role.

That is fair KS. I didn't mean it to be harsh. I didn't think he was bad. He just had no impact (which as a mid, you could argue is being bad.)

6 of those touches came in the last quarter when the game was well and truly curtains and he actually started, y'know... going for the ball.

Up to that point he'd had 7 touches, 2 tackles, 0 score involvements and 1 clearance. I really don't think I was being unreasonable saying he was a non-factor. The kid's a gun. Hate the role.
Okay, still think you are wrong... I'll accept your numbers as I can't be arsed going to have a look, but saying he was a non-factor is just wrong imo. He played his role and played it well. No brain farts, no missed tackles (that I remember), no dumb fifties or frees. I think you are completely underestimating the discipline in takes to play your role.

The whole team played their roles today. They played four quarters of high intensity, high pressure, gritty, determined footy. If they don't, either we don't win or if we do, we scrape on in. This type of game is exactly what we want, week in, week out! No heroes, no superstars, just the boys hunting in packs, putting pressure on every opposition ball movement, strangling their game and allowing us to play ours. If we can kick a little straighter, we start slaughtering teams.

We play like this week in, week out for the next 7 rounds, we are top 4!

He has been fantastic playing as the relief ruckman in the last month, it will be harsh but we have to give Hickey and Ladhams an extended run together to see if it will work.
I don't see why we need to do that.

Reid is playing well. To play two rucks we'd need to drop he or McDonald, otherwise we'd be top heavy.
Neither Hickey or Ladhams strike me as natural forwards and as with most ruckmen would probably prefer to ruck solo the majority of the time.

The set up with Reid as the back up ruck is working fine, I'd prefer not to experiment, particularly as I don't think a Hickey/Ladhams combo is a natural fit.

Why aren't people taking about 3-4 weeks for Jones?

Elected to bump and hit Parker square in the nose.

It was intentional, high, and high impact. What am I missing?

Why aren't people taking about 3-4 weeks for Jones?

Elected to bump and hit Parker square in the nose.

It was intentional, high, and high impact. What am I missing?
Jones stood his ground and braced for contact so it wasn't intentional. Low impact as Parker played out the game

Okay, still think you are wrong... I'll accept your numbers as I can't be arsed going to have a look, but saying he was a non-factor is just wrong imo. He played his role and played it well. No brain farts, no missed tackles (that I remember), no dumb fifties or frees. I think you are completely underestimating the discipline in takes to play your role.

The whole team played their roles today. They played four quarters of high intensity, high pressure, gritty, determined footy. If they don't, either we don't win or if we do, we scrape on in. This type of game is exactly what we want, week in, week out! No heroes, no superstars, just the boys hunting in packs, putting pressure on every opposition ball movement, strangling their game and allowing us to play ours. If we can kick a little straighter, we start slaughtering teams.

We play like this week in, week out for the next 7 rounds, we are top 4!

I know what's involved in the defensive mid role. If there is one part of footy that I'm scrupulously attentive to, it is the midfield and every role within it. I am the kind of nuffy who pauses the game before and after each bounce of the ball so I can get a read of where the mids are positioned, what their role seems to be, do they spread or hold their position etc. I'm an unapologetic, absolute geek in this regard.

I will say what I have said over and over: Never confuse a mid who is very good defensively with a defensive mid. They are two very different things that require two very different set of qualities. Rowbottom's not suited to it one bit. Literally none of his best footy has ever come when playing defensive mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've given our back 6 a bit of a pasting over the last few months. This is probably the best game they've played a unit all season.

Fox is best 22 and I don't give a frack how many runs Cunningham has on the board. Yes he's come back from Covid and injury - he needs to play in VFL until he gets his form back.

IMO Jones shouldn't go for his incident but Rowbottom & JPK were suspended for less, so if there's any equality then he will go for his knock on Parker.

"Equality" hahahahahahahakillmenowhahahahaha

I know it's your obsession this season, but JPK most definitely didn't go for less. Go re-watch the incident if you've forgotten just how severely he hit Docherty.

I know it's your obsession this season, but JPK most definitely didn't go for less. Go re-watch the incident if you've forgotten just how severely he hit Docherty.

I have watched it over and over. It was an accident. I'm not denying the severity of the contact, I'm denying the intent behind it. Because I think that is what we should be suspending players for. Intent, not outcomes.

I have watched it over and over. It was an accident. I'm not denying the severity of the contact, I'm denying the intent behind it. Because I think that is what we should be suspending players for. Intent, not outcomes.

You said JPK was suspended for "less" his contact was more though. Much more. Intent only forms part of the judgement, even if we disagree on how deliberate it was.

Fox, Stephens & Clarke take a bow. You all earned your places, now you have to hang onto them. I've long thought that Fox plays a lot like a (slightly) younger Dane Rampe and should be playing more. He's got Cunningham's speed with Rampe's desperation and leap. His disposals are very clean. I've also said before that Clarke should be played as a Mid/Forward. He's not a defender. IMO Stephens' performance was his best to date. Hard tackling, hard running and sharp delivery. If he brings that every week he's going to be a beauty.

Lloyd. I take back every time I've bagged your game. That was vintage.
Rampe. I thought you may be coming to the end of the road. That performance says otherwise.
Florent. Your best is brilliant, when you seem to channel the spirit of Chris Judd, dodging and weaving, dancing through traffic.
Hickey. Thanks for coming back in. We've missed you badly.

Good to see Papley going into centre bounces. It seemed to help him get into the game. I'd rather see Papley playing mid/forward and Heeney as a pure forward.

Blakey. More of the same please. Great game.

Warner. Only one small criticism. I love your intensity, I really do, but f... me, you need to practise kicking goals on the run. Last year you were blasting them from long range, this year you're missing too many of the same shots you used to nail.

McDonald. Not your best game but I thought you gelled better with the other forwards and you created opportunities. A for effort. B- for accuracy

Reid. Playing with an intensity that sets a high bar for your teammates. Good to see your versatility being used.

Defence - The big Macs blanketed poor King and the entire back 6 were on.

Coaches - Smart coaching. The Saints' options were well held. Clarke's role was particularly clever.

Team - four quarter effort. Not always pretty but consistent and unstoppable. No passengers. Same again please. No changes needed.

i can't recall the last time i went on another team's board but a quick look at the st kilda autopsy thread is pretty amusing

some of the best quotes:

"We are lucky shame relegation isn’t a thing."

"I think if i was Ratten i'd walk into the press conference with a turd on a plate and say that by next week i'll have 21 more to pick before that lot."

"Delist/Trade/Retire:
Jones
Hanners
Clark
Crouch
Geary
Billings.
Billings!
BILLINGS
Butler
Long
Bytel