Toast Ross Lyon returns to St.Kilda #UnfinishedBusiness

Happy?

• Yes

Votes: 225 86.2%
  • No

Votes: 36 13.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Guthrie gets undersold as well. He’s an All Australian midfielder which only one guy on our team can say.

Guthrie has had great years but he's an A grader not a star. It's also a lot easier to be AA in a team that plays finals. Would you straight swap Steele for him and think we were upgrading?

We wanted degoey because he is a match winner on his day. As good as Steele is he isn’t a match winner. The reason gresh played there is he is a match winner. The balance is average at best unless of course the media haven’t got a clue. Our midfield isn’t in the top 8 by any footy persons standard. Clutching at straws mentioning jones who was dropped. No idea why McCrae is mentioned. If you think our forward line is the main issue then we have no hope of playing finals because on paper it could actually be worse than this season depending if you rate Marshall as a forward. Luckily it’s the midfield and we hopefully already have the players to make that better in the next year or two.

The media write stories based on very little. When we were playing finals we got hyped and as soon as we went back to being s**t we were ridiculed. This year midfields with very little depth of talent made deep finals. The rule changes designed to speed up the game have changed the way midfields are set up and play.

I guess we'll see won't we. I think we have plenty of true mids and it's more the outside players that we lack quality in. Most of the good sides have very good end to end runners who play off a high half forward and flanks and fold back to cover holes in defence. Wings the same. As good as Dmac and Wood were they are probably the roles we need to look at. DMac probably plays one side on a wing, Hill the other. Wood maybe a high half forward and perhaps some run from Nas types, but these roles are almost more important than true mids now.

At the end of the day structures under a new coach might actually do more to improve us than players though.

I think our issue was largely lack of funds or quality applicants.
He dumped Richo and gave the list and Footy dpt a good churn.
Not every appointment worked out but they've been substantially better than who we had in place and l suspect Finnis was also a limiting factor in all of it.

He gets s**t done. It might not all work but we were atrophied under Finnis. It was like we were in a sedative coma for a decade. We look on the right path now and actually got more done in one off season than in 10 years put together.

Is he replacing Gil ?
I don’t rate his time at our club think he has done a pretty ordinary job and find it weird that Ratts is the only one to get the chop

Yeah, not sure if that was just a media thing because he was high up in the organisation and it made his dismissal sound more dramatic.

Really? He was on the list of people to replace Gil wasn't he?
I wish l was that unsuccessful....
He was being groomed for the top slot in the corporation, couldn't keep his pants zipped and was made to resign.
We got him and in my opinion we are lucky to have him.
I reckon he is a very good operator and will make an excellent CEO.

That's not what he said....stop twisting things....

He said he was in line to replace gil when he was at AFL house...

On SM-F711B using BigFooty.com mobile app
So he didn’t replace Gil ?
Who said he was in line to replace Gil ?
Dickhead journos
Didn’t twist anything stated a fact
So pull your head in

Yeah, not sure if that was just a media thing because he was high up in the organisation and it made his dismissal sound more dramatic.
Exactly
Everyone was saying Brendon Gale was a lock for the job
After watching him at our club the last few years seems clear he hasn’t the skills to head the AFL not even close

He gets s**t done. It might not all work but we were atrophied under Finnis. It was like we were in a sedative coma for a decade. We look on the right path now and actually got more done in one off season than in 10 years put together.

Finnis was way too focussed on keeping the club on the straight and narrow after the NZ booze up and the Duthie saga. It was all about getting in a group of 'very nice boys' from 'very nice families'.

That did more harm than good.

They they tried their best but, in the words of the immortal Sean Connery:

"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and * the prom queen."

The media write stories based on very little. When we were playing finals we got hyped and as soon as we went back to being s**t we were ridiculed. This year midfields with very little depth of talent made deep finals. The rule changes designed to speed up the game have changed the way midfields are set up and play.

I guess we'll see won't we. I think we have plenty of true mids and it's more the outside players that we lack quality in. Most of the good sides have very good end to end runners who play off a high half forward and flanks and fold back to cover holes in defence. Wings the same. As good as Dmac and Wood were they are probably the roles we need to look at. DMac probably plays one side on a wing, Hill the other. Wood maybe a high half forward and perhaps some run from Nas types, but these roles are almost more important than true mids now.

At the end of the day structures under a new coach might actually do more to improve us than players though.
The media include players who have no bias as well. Of course they are wrong occasionally but as a generalisation they get more right than people on a saints website. The midfield is clearly badly balanced and that’s proven by having to play our best small forward in there and you having jones in there. Never said wings aren’t part of our issue and that’s why I’ve mentioned Milera as important. I’m not even going to mention smac as he hasn’t proven a thing yet. If the midfield isn’t different next year we are going no where. Why do you think they wanted degoey so much.

Finnis got the Moorabbin rebuild going which I give him credit for.

I wish he had of followed through with a few other football orientated "promises" like a standalone VFL team.

Article states - Abandoned the plans for a standalone team but now plan a pool at Moorabbin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finnis was way too focussed on keeping the club on the straight and narrow after the NZ booze up and the Duthie saga. It was all about getting in a group of 'very nice boys' from 'very nice families'.

That did more harm than good.

They they tried their best but, in the words of the immortal Sean Connery:

"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and * the prom queen."

I don't know how you can claim Finnis cleaning up the club did more harm than good... we lost what would have been the biggest sponsorship in the club's history thanks to the Duthie BS.

We were absolute poison to sponsors and government support until Finnis came along. You can kid yourself by thinking that we would have been fine if he didn't clean up the club & set high behavioural standards.

We'd probably still be stuck in Seaford with a Tassie target firmly on us if not for what Finnis & his admin achieved.

I don't know how you can claim Finnis cleaning up the club did more harm than good... we lost what would have been the biggest sponsorship in the club's history thanks to the Duthie BS.

We were absolute poison to sponsors and government support until Finnis came along. You can kid yourself by thinking that we would have been fine if he didn't clean up the club & set high behavioural standards.

We'd probably still be stuck in Seaford with a Tassie target firmly on us if not for what Finnis & his admin achieved.
Which sponsor was that?

Playing competitive footy would have made up for one sponsor easily.

We were going to get Holden sponsorship?

Really?
Nah, it was a Lada sponsorship.

LADA_Niva_lg.jpg

Back