Player Watch Jack Ginnivan (Traded to P&W 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

He's getting back to the Jack of last year.
He's a normal 20 year old who has his ups and downs, not like another 20yo on our list.
I'd say even better than last year, as he is impacting the game more than the scoreboard. This new up the ground role.. not many thought he could do it, but the way he uses his skills, its working a treat. Once he gets more fitness another pre-season, it'll improve even more.

I'd say even better than last year, as he is impacting the game more than the scoreboard. This new up the ground role.. not many thought he could do it, but the way he uses his skills, its working a treat. Once he gets more fitness another pre-season, it'll improve even more.

I didn’t see any of the game today but I’ve heard you talk about this up the ground role before….. where was he actually playing? Was it high half forward or was he legitimately in the middle?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I didn’t see any of the game today but I’ve heard you talk about this up the ground role before….. where was he actually playing? Was it high half forward or was he legitimately in the middle?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
High half forward (those in his role tend to get up around the midfield anyway), but was in the middle toward the end.
Usually starts at CHF. In the middle of the F50 line.

His updated stats. 112 (highest on the ground) AF ranking points.
29 disposals. 5 tackles. 3 clearances. 2 goals (could have been 4-5)

His intent, aggression, work rate and fierce intensity on the ball was realy strong. The coaches would love what they saw from him today.

Hopefully he can keep it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aside from a few efforts early that looked shaky to me that was the Ginnivan that had me thinking we might have one in 2021. Stringing a month of those together might be enough to see him get a call up if Steele/ Pendles/ Adams/ Mitchell/ Lipinski pick up a niggle before the season’s out. Regardless of whether he gets that late season reward it’s the sort of platform he needs for the pre-season.

Didn't think he had a nose for the footy capable of getting that many touches, even in the 2nds.
It won’t translate at senior level, yet.

A guy like Lipinski playing the same role in the VFL is probably having a better impact than Jack yesterday because his running is way to much for non professional footballers and kids. When Lipinski goes up a level to where most mids have a similar enough running capacity to go with him he comes back to the pack impact wise. Now imagine Lipinski without his running power at the top level because that’s 2023 Ginnivan.

That nose for the footy is what’s going to keep him relevant and if I were him I’d be attached to IQ’s hip over the pre-season because that’s a Daicos pre-season which is his best shot, IMO.

Long term, I think he's a mid. Great spacial awareness. Really quick thinker. Skillful. And it's where he's most athletically suited.

So happy Ginni's hard work and determination resulted in a great game on the weekend. I have full faith he'll continue to work hard & develop into the best player he can be. At the Pies.

It won’t translate at senior level, yet.

A guy like Lipinski playing the same role in the VFL is probably having a better impact than Jack yesterday because his running is way to much for non professional footballers and kids. When Lipinski goes up a level to where most mids have a similar enough running capacity to go with him he comes back to the pack impact wise. Now imagine Lipinski without his running power at the top level because that’s 2023 Ginnivan.

That nose for the footy is what’s going to keep him relevant and if I were him I’d be attached to IQ’s hip over the pre-season because that’s a Daicos pre-season which is his best shot, IMO.
Agree with you on the midfield front, but Lipinski is unlikely to have 5 shots on goal in the 2s.

That’s the trade-off between them IMO, and on current form Lipinski is vulnerable, and Ginnivan playing a little like a poor man’s Toby Greene.

I’d take the extra scoring power in the 1’s as I think we’ve got sufficient runners that Lippers value is somewhat diminished in a team context.

Agree with you on the midfield front, but Lipinski is unlikely to have 5 shots on goal in the 2s.

That’s the trade-off between them IMO, and on current form Lipinski is vulnerable, and Ginnivan playing a little like a poor man’s Toby Greene.

I’d take the extra scoring power in the 1’s as I think we’ve got sufficient runners that Lippers value is somewhat diminished in a team context.
That’s the 1st time Ginnivan’s had 20+ possessions at that level and Lipinski has put up 5 SOG as a pure mid (Rd 10 2021) so in the same role I’d back him in.

Ginnivan and Lipinski are averaging 1 and .7 goals a game respectively at senior level in 2023 and whilst Ginnivan is in better form than when he was last in the 23 Lipinski is building. If we’re getting more scoring output from Ginnivan that lost run up and back in contests like Saturday night will hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back