Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL practice matches 2024: Dates, schedule, timetable, how to watch on live stream, every club’s burning question

NORTH MELBOURNE V COLLINGWOOD

Wednesday, February 21, 10am (AEDT) at AIA Centre

(4 x 25 minute periods plus 2 x 5 minute scenarios at conclusion)

Kangaroos’ burning question: Can this new-look key defensive set-up really match it with AFL forward lines?

The Roos’ defence will look vastly different in 2024. Following Ben McKay’s free agency departure to Essendon and Griffin Logue (ACL) being sidelined to start the season, the club will turn to the likes of recruit Toby Pink, Kallan Dawson and Charlie Comben to hold down its key backline posts, having appeared to settle on the trio in its intra-club match. The area of the ground where North appears most vulnerable, it’s new-look defence will get a mighty test first up (if only match simulation) against reigning premier Collingwood and its high-octane forward line. How both the Roos’ backs fare one-on-one, and how their system functions as a whole, will be an important watch.

Magpies’ burning question: Are the youngsters ready for more responsibility?

A few Collingwood younger players have put their hands up for more senior opportunities in 2024 as the reigning premiers consider turning to their next crop. So who’s ready for more responsibility? Finlay Macrae shined in the club’s intra-club match and would a veteran midfield with an injection of youth it may need from a long-term perspective. Meanwhile Dan McStay’s ACL injury has opened up a key-position spot, with Reef McInnes, who’s also impressed over the pre-season, and Ash Johnson considered to be in the mix. Such names will get their first real chance against proper competition to boost their prospects of a Round 1 berth.

Could have sworn I read this game was a six period game like Richmond last year?

Lord have mercy on us!
McDonald on Greene please Greene can be on the toilet 3 days before the game with the runs and still give McDonald a bath.
So for these Experts play McDonald who is under done in Round 1 and watch him continue to play like he did last year.
McDonald is no longer an automatic selection at AFL level and if the NMFC want to reward good pre season form then play guys who are doing that.
It’s time to wake up as a club as being on bottom is embarrassing and no good for our club and I can’t speak for others but I’m Fu:king sick of it I want to go games with the attitude we are going to win and not lose as iv seen enough of that.
Only way things will change is to keep all involved from The players,coaches,staff,board and supporters strong and if personal of the NMFC are giving a free auto selection and are performing it’s not good for culture of our club.
I don’t care how liked his liked by the players and don’t care who his old man was if your not performing and struggling play in the VFL for a bit recharge and play well there then get back into the AFL program and take that form with him.
As in my eyes McDonald would need to aiming for Top 5 in the NMFC B+F and an All Australian Selection with All Australian Selection Captaincy but if this doesn't happen and he starts playing poorly the pressure that will be on Clarkson and Selection committee to do something as this will be media and supporter driven.

I don't think Cadman gets a game

I agree, but hearing Barlow speak this morning about him I just think he's a lock if fit.

I didn't put to much thought into the rotations, becasue I don't think it really matters these days.
I’ve had a few ITK meets in recent days. A parent of a player that I know, they are a track watcher and good footy head, they say Colby is a R1 lock. I love it. Zane in the mix.

McDonald on Greene please Greene can be on the toilet 3 days before the game with the runs and still give McDonald a bath.
So for these Experts play McDonald who is under done in Round 1 and watch him continue to play like he did last year.
McDonald is no longer an automatic selection at AFL level and if the NMFC want to reward good pre season form then play guys who are doing that.
It’s time to wake up as a club as being on bottom is embarrassing and no good for our club and I can’t speak for others but I’m Fu:king sick of it I want to go games with the attitude we are going to win and not lose as iv seen enough of that.
Only way things will change is to keep all involved from The players,coaches,staff,board and supporters strong and if personal of the NMFC are giving a free auto selection and are performing it’s not good for culture of our club.
I don’t care how liked his liked by the players and don’t care who his old man was if your not performing and struggling play in the VFL for a bit recharge and play well there then get back into the AFL program and take that form with him.
As in my eyes McDonald would need to aiming for Top 5 in the NMFC B+F and an All Australian Selection with All Australian Selection Captaincy but if this doesn't happen and he starts playing poorly the pressure that will be on Clarkson and Selection committee to do something as this will be media and supporter driven.

Round 2 2020

McDonald plays on Toby Greene for 4 qrts and keeps him to 13 possessions and 0.2

Round 2 2020

McDonald plays on Toby Greene for 4 qrts and keeps him to 13 possessions and 0.2
That is now 4 years ago. And I can’t think of a player, who in the last 5 years, has had such a meteoric demise as McDonald. Even Cunnington’s exit after playing some stellar football in 2021 was not as harsh.

Meanwhile, Greene has further established himself as a top-2 forward in the league by almost dragging his team (after finishing 6th) to a grand final.

Nice melt dude...

That is now 4 years ago. And I can’t think of a player, who in the last 5 years, has had such a meteoric demise as McDonald. Even Cunnington’s exit after playing some stellar football in 2021 was not as harsh.

Meanwhile, Greene has further established himself as a top-2 forward in the league by almost dragging his team (after finishing 6th) to a grand final.

Which players got a hold of McDonald in 2023?

I have been critical of McDonald in the past for his basic defensive errors season after season, but I think people holding on to hate for him just because some of the best small forwards have taken him to town is kind of batshit crazy.

I hope he has a great season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We exist in the beautiful state of Schrödingers preseason, that sweet spot before we have actually played a preseason game against opposition.

Dare to dream
How dare you bring quantum physics and philosophical retrospection into our pre-season ramblings!!!

The idea of the ssp is to wait as long a possible incase an injury pops up that needs covering.
This also negates the risk of signing say sellers and him getting injured himself the next day.
That makes sense but I really want him in our side.

Call me crazy but I really don't think the media or supporters will be putting any pressure on Clarko if Luke McDonald isn't selected as the All Australian captain this year.

NMFC vs swans 2023

Papley - 0 goals
Heeney - 1 goal
Hayward - 1 goal

I’d imagine McDonald played on one of them.

NMFC vs Collingwood 2023

Hill - 0 goals
Elliot - 0 goals
Ginnivan - 2 goals

I’d imagine McDonald played on one of them
You’re right, but how many goals did he cost us from his turnovers lol. For an AFL captain who has been in the system for so long it’s borderline laughable

You’re right, but how many goals did he cost us from his turnovers lol. For an AFL captain who has been in the system for so long it’s borderline laughable
Okay, you're making the case - tell us how many goals were kicked as a result of Luke's turnovers. Exactly. Quote the stats, don't just make a vague assertion.

Okay, you're making the case - tell us how many goals were kicked as a result of Luke's turnovers. Exactly. Quote the stats, don't just make a vague assertion.
Are you paying me for my time? If not - don’t tell me what to do.

You can’t sit here and put him up on a pedestal saying how he kept X player goalless - yet his poor disposal kills us 70% of the time.

That makes sense but I really want him in our side.
North will have another player or 2 in mind just in case they miss out on him (if taken by another club) and while it would be nice to get Sellers this will go down to the wire on when and who they select...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back