Preview Round 2, 2024: St.Kilda v Collingwood - MCG, Thursday 21st March, 7:30PM AEDT *SPUD'S GAME* *ROSS 200TH* *BYRNES 50TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 33 48.5%
  • Magpies

Votes: 35 51.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blocking technique, Van Es put the coach on his arse. Very funny but his upper body strength and balance is really impressive

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
That’s the one I noticed last year. For a first year player Van Es appeared to be able to stand his ground against most of the senior players.

We have the same issues we have been battling with for years no. No match winners in the midfield.

Time for Seb Ross to be moved out of there. I think he's been a whipping boy for most of his career but he has offered nothing over the last 12 months and just takes up a spot we could be using on a kid.

Sinclair comes in for Ross

I know we said Butler would be coming back through the VFL but I think playing him as the sub makes sense.

Couple notes.

Think Sincs for collard
Ross/crouch the sub imo

Couple notes.

Really excited to see what Keeper can do this year. I almost think at some point we’re gonna just to play him. He’s just that gifted.

Same as Shooey. Could be a real weapon.

was very blustery. Skills were fine.

Real focus on defensive transition both attacking and defending.

Also a lot of time was the kids working it into the 50 from the 65 metres out.
Coops started forward. Think Ross really likes the idea of having someone who can swing back within games.

Couple more notes
- a lot been spoken about Pou. I do think he’s really worked on his kicking technique as it looks a lot more compact than last year. Also on his general attitude towards training and getting better. To me it’s always him and windy trying to do little extras between drills.

Lancey boy is seriously quick. Totally understand why Ross wants him in asap. He and butts will add a lot of pressure.

Others . Much the same.

Couple notes.

Think Sincs for collard
Ross/crouch the sub imo
Id say these are our only changes. Sucks for Collard but I feel it was a genuine "taste of footy" like Mitch Owens got in his first year.

Id say Ross for sub myself. I think he can play enough inside/outside to be more versatile. We need Crouch to just get that match fitness and start impacting.

Assuming Sinclair comes in for Collard, it'll be very interesting to see who goes out of the 22. For balance, it really needs to be one of Ross or Crouch. Ross ideally, unless Crouch physically isn't right to go. Would be good to see Garcia get the sub gig. Feels like a good fit for it.

Don’t love what we’ve done with Collard if he is presumably an out this week. Would’ve been nice to see him get a bigger chunk of that first game as a taste at least if that’s all it is for him for now. Not a big deal overall but just a view on it
100% , its a bit of a confidence buster to be given bugger all time on the ground with team mates burning him then getting dropped , at least give him another game.
Being a sub you're always on a hiding to nothing and in reality most likely under more pressure than anyone to perform

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Higgins I have this thing where if he misses his first set shot I just resign myself to "he’s going to have a poor night in front of goal".

It’s probably not even factual or based in reality but I just feel that way.

Membrey on the other hand looked razor sharp.

Apparently that’s true with Higgins.

Not a chance in hell Ross will be sub in his 200th game, and fair enough also. Often much maligned, I know he has his floors, but he has been one of a handful consistent contributors for the club through some very dark times since 2012. A 2x club champion, needs to be treated with some respect.

Would love us to get to the stage where owens/pou is only needed down there 20% as a power move.
Agree with everyone, midfield allows us to best use owens contested ball strengths. Add him and Sinclair into that midfield at the expense of Crouch or set makes us so much more dynamic.
Feel for collard but I think I he will settle in the team later in the season.
Thanks for the training updates.

So Higgins averages around 5.5 score involvements per game. Watching the goal highlights from Saturday night, he was more involved than it seemed. He had 9 score involvements on Saturday. It's an overreaction. Add Higgins being selected to your grieving process.

My perception of Higgins from my seat at the ground (as I have not watched any footage) was that he started poorly, but was better value when they had him play further up the ground more.

My perception of Higgins from my seat at the ground (as I have not watched any footage) was that he started poorly, but was better value when they had him play further up the ground more.

On the night at the game I didn't feel he was one of our better players. But I think there are a number of reasons calls for his omission are unreasonable. They are:

• on reflection, he made quite a contribution on Saturday
  • he doesn't play the same role as Butler (quoted by some as a like-for-like replacement)
  • there is not a similar type knocking down the door to take his place

Id say these are our only changes. Sucks for Collard but I feel it was a genuine "taste of footy" like Mitch Owens got in his first year.

Id say Ross for sub myself. I think he can play enough inside/outside to be more versatile. We need Crouch to just get that match fitness and start impacting.
I honestly think a move to half back wouldn't be a bad idea for Ross. Sinclair and him could swap roles, gives us a bit more in the midfield but also gives us an experienced head and good user coming out of the backline.

Great preview!
Some of my thoughts.
Nick Daicos killed us last year in our first loss and Ross said at that press conference we won't have him run free again, if Brad Crouch plays on Daicos that will be a disaster he couldn't keep up and has next to no hurt factor. Last week Tanner Bruhn was killing us with his movement and we put Windhager on him for a period in the third which helped stop his impact. IMO Windhager is the man with his power and running ability to play on Daicos or if we wanted to go head-to-head that would have to be Sinclair as our most damaging player.

Max King playing further up the ground last week helped us with the relieving mark when we needed to get out of defense, how many times last week did he either mark it, draw a free or bring it to ground... but yes him closer to goal would be our preference if we are able to have the ball played in our front half more.

Lastly I hope we don't see Steele, Crouch and Ross together in the midfield again :sweatsmile:. We aren't going to be dangerous around the ball or at center bounces with this setup!!!! As everyone is saying and wanting, we need a rotation of Owens, Windhager, Henry, Sinclair, Phillipou to make us more damaging in there.

Great preview!
Some of my thoughts.
Nick Daicos killed us last year in our first loss and Ross said at that press conference we won't have him run free again, if Brad Crouch plays on Daicos that will be a disaster he couldn't keep up and has next to no hurt factor. Last week Tanner Bruhn was killing us with his movement and we put Windhager on him for a period in the third which helped stop his impact. IMO Windhager is the man with his power and running ability to play on Daicos or if we wanted to go head-to-head that would have to be Sinclair as our most damaging player.

Max King playing further up the ground last week helped us with the relieving mark when we needed to get out of defense, how many times last week did he either mark it, draw a free or bring it to ground... but yes him closer to goal would be our preference if we are able to have the ball played in our front half more.

Lastly I hope we don't see Steele, Crouch and Ross together in the midfield again :sweatsmile:. We aren't going to be dangerous around the ball or at center bounces with this setup!!!! As everyone is saying and wanting, we need a rotation of Owens, Windhager, Henry, Sinclair, Phillipou to make us more damaging in there.
Windhager went to Holmes halfway through the third quarter. Ended up with only 5 more disposals in 1 1/2 quarters.

He was on 18 at the time the move was made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back