Review Good/Bad vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Sat right behind Pedlar kicking 4 howlers in a row for maybe 1 point.

A week before our first game I had a really bad feeling about this year for some reason. Can't explain why except for getting the feeling that we may not see the linear progression of the players that we need, hence we'll stagnate or go backwards. Not great signs so far.

Dawson starting the year and horrible form doesn't help either.
It's been mentioned on our board, Dawson's performance has dropped away, coinciding with Crouch coming into the side .....many initally thought Dawson just tired towards the end of the season ....but I'm not so sure now

Talking about misses, and not concentrating ....the easy missed mark by Fog ....and kicking into the post, 15 mtrs out, just summed up the lack of concentration by a handful of players

Max M ....is also not reaching the heights of last year .....and out of character, has been showing signs of frustration

Supporting this flaccid excuse of a football club gets harder every year.
Not sure if you intended the wordplay, but it's the only thing that made me smile, tonight.

My support is totally flaccid; limp as a wet noodle.

Seriously: I'm considering NOT watching the Crows again until they get rid of Nicks, well,
AND
Sholl
Murphy/McHenry
Smith (I'm done with him after tonight, no more chances)
and ... and ... and... :sadv1:

So our formula for the whole 4 quarters this week, and for 3 and a half quarters last week has been slow methodical down the line footy then bomb into the forward line.

What genius came up with this game plan?

This is like watching the crows of the mid 1990’s befor blight. Bring McGuinness back, that bloke could hit the roof at Docklands.

I still think Gold Coast dropped.of a bit last week which gave a false impression. The first three quarters gave a better indication where we are at.

Anyone suggesting it's too smaller sample size to make a call on Broadie Smith didn't see him play last year.
His metres gained stat has flattered him

His stuff under pressure and in any sort of contest has been poor for a while and is getting worse

Simply cannot be picked next week

Bathwater, never drink your own bathwater.

I worry what we can do this season if Tex is in decline as his career best season last year was a major factor in our rise..

A number of players who shouldn't be featuring at senior level now or in the future seem to be fixtures in the team

As for Smith, tonight is a continuation of last years poor form and he won't recapture form at his age, so time to go

How far are we away from the quality of players and game style of current ladder leaders GWS and Swans? That's where we need to get to

Extending Nicks now was stupidity, we should have waited, no one else wanted him.

Work to do

It's been mentioned on our board, Dawson's performance has dropped away, coinciding with Crouch coming into the side .....many initally thought Dawson just tired towards the end of the season ....but I'm not so sure now

Talking about misses, and not concentrating ....the easy missed mark by Fog ....and kicking into the post, 15 mtrs out, just summed up the lack of concentration by a handful of players

Max M ....is also not reaching the heights of last year .....and out of character, has been showing signs of frustration
So Nicks managed to destroy our best player. Thats some effort. I agree by the way.

Nicks was actually a midfield coach though and we were the most attacking team last year, that would suggest he isn't a defensive coach. We had 66 inside 50s tonight, that's quite attacking.
Those numbers are massively inflated by our inefficiency though. And again, when you're playing slow and contested and down the line you're gonna move it in and out quite a lot.

Attacking football is playing quick and playing the angles. We've had more football under Nicks playing slow and methodical than fast and attacking.

Because Nicks went back to his true form that we saw in 2021/22.

He's a defensive coach, the first thing defensive coaches think. If you play quick and use the corridor you can turn it over and leave yourself vulnerable for easy scores against. So you play slow, go down the line, if you don't mark it you kill the ball, set up for a throw in and chuck numbers at the contest to win it.

They saw the numbers last year. Great at scores for, bad at scores against. We gotta stop getting scored against, so let's slow it down, don't let the opposition get good field position and keep it in a contest where we can win an arm wrestle.
Nicks used the same game plan as last year in 2021/22 but it wasn't executed as consistently those 2 years so I don't know why you would change what has worked very well for you last year all of a sudden. All good having a balance to the side and slowdown when you have too but you still need to kick a score to win and playing slow all the time mean you have less time to kick a winning score when you have possession.

McHenry good as the sub again, just has to be his position. Showed more urgency than most of our players and tried to move the ball with some pace, even though our structures were so bad ahead of the ball.
Running around like a headless chicken, getting the ball and then kicking it 10 m over the player leading towards you so that his direct opponent marks it is not…good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Running around like a headless chicken, getting the ball and then kicking it 10 m over the player leading towards you so that his direct opponent marks it is not…good.
His only strength is that he can hit a 15-20m pass, providing he's in acres of space and the receiver is also in acres of space

He got into good position and took some smart options, but apart from one kick inside 50 where he was maybe the only Crow who lowered his eyes and hit a leading target he generally missed every target by 3-5 metres.

Would be more help if he worked the merchandise booth.

I just don't get it. I can accept persisting with a younger more talented player but this is as good as he is going to get. What's the point.
Its a feel good story..

Thats what this club loves.. feel good story’s.. they matter.

This game ONCE AGAIN showed we have wasted 5-6 (actually 20) years drafting everything except what wins flags - elite midfielders.
Our last decent midfield was Ricciuto Goodwin McLeod Edwards. They finished nearly 20 years ago.

This isn’t all on Nicks at all. It’s on f****** Reid and Ogilvie!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back