Adelaide's decline

Remove this Banner Ad

Our coaching panel is highly suspect, and we have too many very average footballers like Lachlan Murphy that we either choose to play, or have to play because there's no real alternative. Murphy has virtually no good attributes apart from effort, and he just played his 100th game. Most other clubs would have delisted him long ago.

Our coaching panel is highly suspect, and we have too many very average footballers like Lachlan Murphy that we either choose to play, or have to play because there's no real alternative. Murphy has virtually no good attributes apart from effort, and he just played his 100th game. Most other clubs would have delisted him long ago.
I just think the crows have been unlucky with choosing certain players in previous drafts.

Nicks is in his 5th year in addition to the last two Pyke years that yielded no finals. It's understandable the supporters are getting restless after they should have played finals last year. However, it cannot be underestimated just how bad a list Nicks walked into. Adelaide's 2020 was one of the most dreadful, limp seasons of the 21st century IMO, comparable to the recent West Coast seasons and some of the other memorable shockers. I think if you told any supporter it would likely take until 2023-24 at the earliest to be back in finals contention, they would have understood. I think Nicks can coach, but as a non-supporter I'm not exactly up to scratch with whom the most influential people are at the club, with regards to team selection, development and list management. Because whilst I think Adelaide have made admirable progress in 3-4 years, I do think they're arrived at where they are without a whole lot to continue to build on. Maybe Nicks is to shoulder the blame for a lot of this, but list management seems to be the consistent long-term problem at Adelaide.

They're continuing the cop the long-term consequences of using so many early picks on defenders, when they are the third of the ground it has always been easiest to find value in at the back ends of the draft. The problem is they don't have a very good defensive group, and it's nowhere near experienced enough. Brodie Smith has played a lot of football, but Wayne Milera and Jordon Butts are the 2nd and 3rd most experienced backs on the list with 98 and 62 games each, and none are great players. Nick Murray is underrated and they need him back. Jordan Dawson has been an exquisite pick-up but the rest of the midfield is still the same group of the last few years. They got pretty lucky with some Brisbane discards in Keays and Hinge. Hinge is alright, but Keays is struggling. Is there much upside with these two? After overinvesting in defenders for so many years, they now seem to be doing so with forwards. Rankine is a stud and worth the price, and Rachele can play. Using pick 11 on Luke Pedlar was a head scratcher at the time and still is. I'm told he's an explosive mid-forward prospect but I do not see it one bit. Daniel Curtin becoming an elite rebounding half-back is crucial to this team moving into the next stage, as is Thilthorpe coming back and being a gun #1 key forward.

There is also the very obvious elephant in the room that is how much reliance is still had on Tex. As bright and talented as their forward group appears, they looked awful without him last week and when he puts in solid 1-2 goal games or lesser games, they struggle to win. My ladder prediction of 11th was weighed on the expectation that Tex would regress to 40-50 goals this year (still terrific at his age) and they wouldn't be able to replace his influence. It took an outstanding Tex 2023 to make them the top scoring side but only secure 10th (granted, they should have played finals).

Lack of young midfield talent is a huge concern compared to the other rebuilding sides. Their emerging fwdline is very impressive but the ball has to get there first. Hopefully they can address this in FA.
Crows used Fisher McAsey with pick 6. Dockers then got caleb Serong and Hayden young just after him.

2016 the crows used a 1st rounder on Jordan Gallucci. Sam Powell pepper was taken just after him.

2018 draft crows got Chayce Jones pick 9 who is a solid defender. Port got Zac Butters atpick 12.

Crows then got Ned McHenry at pick 16, freo used pick 18 on sam sturt, Port got Xavier duursma with pick 19.

- Serong or Young

- Sam Powell Pepper

- Butters

- Duursma

those 4 blokes would be in the crows best 23.

• Campo turned our midfield into a bunch of one-way running, unaccountable softies.
  • Burton hiring CM who organised the camp clearly divided the playing group in 2018.
  • The rapid declining of senior players who excelled in 2017. Lynch, Laird, M. Crouch, you could even throw Tex into this mix who seems cooked, and no one has stepped up (or been selected) to replace them.
  • Hart's incompetent coaching of our defence and, then last year, our forward structures which didn't actually appear to have any structure at all.
  • Drafting. Ogilvie seems to be popular around here, but why? Since 2015, the only draftee worth anything has been Doedee. Milera has not come along at all, the 2016 crop is a complete bust (some very handy players were picked up after Gooch) and Fog needs to start offering more than a mark and nice set-shot. The 2018 crop needs a bit more time as only Jones has played but do they really scream elite to anyone? We had the upper hand on Port going into that draft yet they still ended up with Rozee while we sat and twiddled our thumbs. Which brings me to...
  • List management. Have only traded in rejects from other clubs and Gibbs which has been an utmost disaster.
Getting rid of Burton and Campo post-review was a nice start but that's all it was. There's a s**t load more trash that needs to be binned before the club goes anywhere. Chapman, Roo, Fagan and Hart all need to go, and tOgilvie and Reid are starting to skate on thin ice.
Good points

Nicks is in his 5th year in addition to the last two Pyke years that yielded no finals. It's understandable the supporters are getting restless after they should have played finals last year. However, it cannot be underestimated just how bad a list Nicks walked into. Adelaide's 2020 was one of the most dreadful, limp seasons of the 21st century IMO, comparable to the recent West Coast seasons and some of the other memorable shockers. I think if you told any supporter it would likely take until 2023-24 at the earliest to be back in finals contention, they would have understood. I think Nicks can coach, but as a non-supporter I'm not exactly up to scratch with whom the most influential people are at the club, with regards to team selection, development and list management. Because whilst I think Adelaide have made admirable progress in 3-4 years, I do think they're arrived at where they are without a whole lot to continue to build on. Maybe Nicks is to shoulder the blame for a lot of this, but list management seems to be the consistent long-term problem at Adelaide.

They're continuing the cop the long-term consequences of using so many early picks on defenders, when they are the third of the ground it has always been easiest to find value in at the back ends of the draft. The problem is they don't have a very good defensive group, and it's nowhere near experienced enough. Brodie Smith has played a lot of football, but Wayne Milera and Jordon Butts are the 2nd and 3rd most experienced backs on the list with 98 and 62 games each, and none are great players. Nick Murray is underrated and they need him back. Jordan Dawson has been an exquisite pick-up but the rest of the midfield is still the same group of the last few years. They got pretty lucky with some Brisbane discards in Keays and Hinge. Hinge is alright, but Keays is struggling. Is there much upside with these two? After overinvesting in defenders for so many years, they now seem to be doing so with forwards. Rankine is a stud and worth the price, and Rachele can play. Using pick 11 on Luke Pedlar was a head scratcher at the time and still is. I'm told he's an explosive mid-forward prospect but I do not see it one bit. Daniel Curtin becoming an elite rebounding half-back is crucial to this team moving into the next stage, as is Thilthorpe coming back and being a gun #1 key forward.

There is also the very obvious elephant in the room that is how much reliance is still had on Tex. As bright and talented as their forward group appears, they looked awful without him last week and when he puts in solid 1-2 goal games or lesser games, they struggle to win. My ladder prediction of 11th was weighed on the expectation that Tex would regress to 40-50 goals this year (still terrific at his age) and they wouldn't be able to replace his influence. It took an outstanding Tex 2023 to make them the top scoring side but only secure 10th (granted, they should have played finals).
To be honest.... Crows should of never finished bottom in 2020

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was some of the strangest coaching I seen for a while. The way they just adsorbed the clock as though they were the team in front with 10 minutes remaining.

Lose by 7 goals and try going for it or lose by 4 goals playing conservatively. Perhaps those 3 goals in percentage will play a part at seasons end.

There drafting has been trash since they bottomed out. 6 or so years into a rebuild and feels like they are really only 1-2 years into it based on the holes in their list still.

They have been somewhat saved by the fact Dawson and Rankine wanted to come home which has papered over the cracks. Remove them and they are in an absolute world of pain.

No one they have drafted since bottoming out is within their best players and pushing them forward. That’s a massive fail given the number of first round and high first round picks they’ve had.

lol what?

Geelong and gcs are not top 6 sides, at best either might sneak into finals. more likely to be 8th-14th.

both teams also played poorly and were very beatable.
Won the flag 2 years ago, missed finals twice in 16 years, start the season 2-0 against decent opposition and still written off.
🤦‍♂️

Crows used Fisher McAsey with pick 6. Dockers then got caleb Serong and Hayden young just after him.

2016 the crows used a 1st rounder on Jordan Gallucci. Sam Powell pepper was taken just after him.

2018 draft crows got Chayce Jones pick 9 who is a solid defender. Port got Zac Butters atpick 12.

Crows then got Ned McHenry at pick 16, freo used pick 18 on sam sturt, Port got Xavier duursma with pick 19.

- Serong or Young

- Sam Powell Pepper

- Butters

- Duursma

There are so many flaws in this argument I don’t even know where to start

I’m not sure what you’re talking about.

They obviously made a series of draft bungles in drafts where good to star players were available around their picks.
Please make a list of all the clubs and picks where players were taken ahead of other players that turned out better.

It will be a very long list, all clubs will be on the list.

I will wait.

- Serong or Young

- Sam Powell Pepper

- Butters

- Duursma

Serong/Young, SPP and Butters I'll give you.

I'm not fussed about missing out on Duursma, Rowbottom however...

Geelong are flying under the radar. Have the forwards and backs to trouble GWS/Sydney/Carlton. But we will find out in the next month or 2
I like it, people were writing us of in 2022 as well.
Cats always play better when people/media write them off.
Takes all the expectations out of the season and allows them to enjoy it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back