Review Good/Bad vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Odd for any doctor to be discussing a patient with a " rep" or member of the public especially without their express permission?
Sorry, should have clarified…

Spoke with another surgeon (not the one who performed the procedure), who made the comment based on the devices ordered/used for the procedure. Also just an educated comment based on the type of procedure and Thilly’s size. Harder for big men to come back from these. Particularly those who run and jump a lot.

Unfortunately not one of them is a truly elite mid.

The game starts there. It is where we get burnt.

Thanks Hamish Ogilvie.

And yes Rachele/Sog/Rankine will be midfielders. But Sog is more outside/wing Rach and Rankine mid forwards.

Curtin is probably our only truly elite midfield prospect.

But he will spend his first few seasons being a defender.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We s**t the bed early on giving them time in the middle

Sorry, should have clarified…

Spoke with another surgeon (not the one who performed the procedure), who made the comment based on the devices ordered/used for the procedure. Also just an educated comment based on the type of procedure and Thilly’s size. Harder for big men to come back from these. Particularly those who run and jump a lot.
Ah, so you’re making it up then

That’s a relief

I felt we were in trouble once we announced the leadership team

you can’t have elite performance when your leadership team smells of mediocracy, this is on the players as well for voting in the likes of Murphy and Smith

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If we had a Malcolm Blight style clean out, most of that leadership team would be playing Saturday ammos.

Is it the midfielders fault we sat the ball on Tom Stewarts head all night? We have zero outside class right now aside from Soligo coming back from injury. The game is all about ball movement now, everyone knows this. We don't have anyone who can reliably kick inside 50 or reliably move it from half back. Yes a bit of pace would be great in the midfield. There needs to be some change in the midfield (Rotate Dawson wing a bit, Laird a bit off hf) but but one else is close to ready to take a full time mid role. Soligo/Rankine/Rachele need a bit of time in there but outside ball use is a much, much bigger issue.
I'm not blaming the midfield, I'm blaming the couches selection of that midfield group.

Is it their fault they are slow and can only really execute when in space ? No. But the coaches should know this.

Why did we bomb into Stewart? It's absolutely because of the limited skills of the midfield especially when under pressure. They either pass it to someone else under pressure who has to hack it or they hack it themselves.

You need a midfield that can break and spread. You can't have an extract only midfield group rely on the perfect runner to go past that you can pass to. You need midfielders that can do this themselves, or if the opportunity presents pass it off. This setup makes it oh so easy for the opposition. They sit a tagger on Dawson and just pressure the others who will eventually cough it up or turn it over.

I don't know why we are so talking about this as it's been an issue for so many seasons.

Clean ball and back movement absolutely starts with the ability to win the ball and break away.

I'm not blaming the midfield, I'm blaming the couches selection of that midfield group.

Is it their fault they are slow and can only really execute when in space ? No. But the coaches should know this.

Why did we bomb into Stewart? It's absolutely because of the limited skills of the midfield especially when under pressure. They either pass it to someone else under pressure who has to hack it or they hack it themselves.

You need a midfield that can break and spread. You can't have an extract only midfield group rely on the perfect runner to go past that you can pass to. You need midfielders that can do this themselves, or if the opportunity presents pass it off. This setup makes it oh so easy for the opposition. They sit a tagger on Dawson and just pressure the others who will eventually cough it up or turn it over.

I don't know why we are so talking about this as it's been an issue for so many seasons.

Clean ball and back movement absolutely starts with the ability to win the ball and break away.
What I seriously don’t get is that the above is so simple and obvious and has been for some time, yet the coaches do nothing to rectify it.

Rachele and Ranks, and to a degree Soligo, are options sitting there to use to rectify this issue yet they get * all on ball time.

Rachele's first 7 weeks last year playing in the midfield averaged 20 disposals and kicked 10.10.
As good as Crouch has been, right now our best mid and pretty good standard, he has taken time from Rachele.

The obvious move is Laird HB/wing.

Pedlar is a mid.

Rachele mid/forward.
Rankine the run through mid but mainly forward.
Bring in Curtin.

Midfield rotations
Crouch Dawson Pedlar Rachele Rankine Curtin

Was at the game in the nosebleed seats. I watched chayce Jones really closely during the game. He is a complete non entity out there. He offers nothing. On a couple of a occasions I witnessed him trying to direct traffic with his back to the play! not realising the ball was coming into his area only to be caught off guard and miles off his opponent. He looks like a guy scared to actually do anything but run around out there. It's bizzare that he keeps getting games to be honest.

The frustrating thing is there is zero scrutiny on the coaches for this. In fact, let’s extend nicks contract despite achieving Jack s**t

it will take 5-6 horror games for a member of our leadership team to be axed from the 22, at the moment Smith is useless and Murphy is having zero impact

the coaches have the criteria all wrong, it’s about prioritising others but the first criteria should be performing and impacting on game day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As good as Crouch has been, right now our best mid and pretty good standard, he has taken time from Rachele.

Pedlar is a mid.

Rachele mid/forward.
Bring in Curtin.

Midfield rotations

Strangely, Rankine started in the midfield last week against GCS and was good but he also didn't get a look last night and this is with no changes to the midfield playing group from the previous week.

Was at the game in the nosebleed seats. I watched chayce Jones really closely during the game. He is a complete non entity out there. He offers nothing. On a couple of a occasions I witnessed him trying to direct traffic with his back to the play! not realising the ball was coming into his area only to be caught off guard and miles off his opponent. He looks like a guy scared to actually do anything but run around out there. It's bizzare that he keeps getting games to be honest.
He was good in the 2nd quarter when we played well.

Pedlar is a mid.

Rachele mid/forward.
Bring in Curtin.

Midfield rotations

I'm not sure how well Laird will be as a defender anymore but am happy to give that a go. I don't have a massive issue with Laird being part of the rotation but to start him alongside couch is stupid.

The HB line is desperate for actual run, it has been for a while. If only Hamil didn't have the concussions. Hopefully Nank can be that option too.

Dare I say it we are missing flexibility and threat of a McAdam. He can hurt you so many ways and be a pressure reliever by coming up and taking marks. This sometimes hides the poor long bomb delivery. We getting nothing from Murphy really. This forward line needs to be rejigged a little especially at the half forward line.

Rankine is more needed in the midfield right now. We just need to play him where we need him most.

Did Pedlar spend any time in the midfield?

Strangely, Rankine started in the midfield last week against GCS and was good but he also didn't get a look last night and this is with no changes to the midfield playing group from last week.

Wonder if Nick’s logic was that they lost some players in there so try dominate them with our experienced guys, and our forwards struggled last week so chuck ranks down there.

Our best bit of play was when ranks and rachele flicked it round on the boundary before getting it to the Burgess mark.

Last edited:
Something is wrong here.

Why are all our players off?

There just looks to be no joy out there, no play with your natural instincts, so much double guessing and fear.

Skills disappeared.

Dawson is fumbling, can’t hit a target, bad decisions.

Worrell lost his spark his dare.

Pedler can’t kick.

Milera getting caught.

Everyone failing over.

Even Max, who would normally just go go go has been stopping and waiting.

It’s like all of the individual strengths players had … have been dulled if not surgically removed!! I’ve seen that before, not letting players play.

Who puts Pedlar, a creative hard nosed ball winner, in a defensive role on the best zone off defender in the league? Reminded me of Massie on Buddy.

The coaching is diabolical. Our players look lost, they look confused.

I’m not liking what I’ve seen in our first two games this year. One bad one you can write off, this is looking like a scary trend and just dead set awful setup and play style … that’s on the coach and the, dare I say, leadership group.

Play finals? I’m expecting to hear some “it’s a long season” quotes soon.

Clear message to the club that singing Can't Fight The Feeling by Timberlake has worn off.

I'm not sure how well Laird will be as a defender anymore but am happy to give that a go. I don't have a massive issue with Laird being part of the rotation but to start him alongside couch is stupid.

The HB line is desperate for actual run, it has been for a while. If only Hamil didn't have the concussions. Hopefully Nank can be that option too.

Dare I say it we are missing flexibility and threat of a McAdam. He can hurt you so many ways and be a pressure reliever by coming up and taking marks. This sometimes hides the poor long bomb delivery. We getting nothing from Murphy really. This forward line needs to be rejigged a little especially at the half forward line.

Rankine is more needed in the midfield right now. We just need to play him where we need him most.

Did Pedlar spend any time in the midfield?
I thought Burgess did well enough that McAdam wasn’t missed at all

Remove this Banner Ad

Back