Jacinta Allan - 49th Victorian Premier.

Remove this Banner Ad

If you have a look at housing density west of Spencer, it's quite high. East of Warrigal Road (beyond the trams) it's quite low. Train carriage crush (i.e. patronage by service) is also higher through North Melbourne than it is through Richmond. Yet they're enhancing the network beyond Richmond rather than the network through/beyond North Melbourne.
SRL will make density higher

"At least 500 protests have been staged across the city over the past six months, with an average of 21 protests held in the CBD weekly."

While cognisant of the importance of protests and the right to protest, is it getting out of hand? How much interference is reasonable?

Need to give the FRV boys something to do instead of playing table tennis all day and go out and do some practice on the monitors.

That's the problem with protesting everyone week. It's just turned into background noise
What this is showing is the media doesn't cover the majority of protests at all

What this is showing is the media doesn't cover the majority of protests at all
Given its on average of 1-2 a day it's hardly surprising.

To use the palestinian ones for example. They go around once a week. Sometimes a couple times a week.

First few times around its news. Now not so much. There just isn't anything to add from a news standpoint.

It was the same with the cookers and thier weekly walk around the city.
They became background noise.

That's the problem with protesting everyone week. It's just turned into background noise
I feel the same way. The only time I pay any attention is when they perform stunts that adversely affect the public such as blocking the Westgate bridge - it's not exactly the type of action that's going to win approval from the public, so it only serves to help the government and police gain support for crackdowns.

I feel the same way. The only time I pay any attention is when they perform stunts that adversely affect the public such as blocking the Westgate bridge - it's not exactly the type of action that's going to win approval from the public, so it only serves to help the government and police gain support for crackdowns.
Even then doing those stunts on a regular basis just dilutes the effect.

It is a waste of resources... There were 2 patrol cars tasked with following Sovereign Citizen numpties in the CBD on Saturday. The morons thought that walking down the tram tracks was the best way of getting noticed. :rolleyes:
You've mistaken me for someone who gives a s**t about cops time

Right to protest is a core pillar of a healthy democracy
Cops are largely an anti protest force and it's a core part of their job

They've been strike and protest busters from the start and that's not just a Victorian thing that's globally

They're the enforcement arm of the government when it comes to civilians and if you're protesting the government the cops are likely going to make your life difficult

More protests means more people dissatisfied with their circumstances

And it will mean more disruption because without disruption protests are largely in effective

The other side of that coin is more disruption through more protests makes each individual protest less newsworthy.

It is also worth noting that in 2024 we have essentially the same way of making a point as 1924.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've mistaken me for someone who gives a s**t about cops time

Right to protest is a core pillar of a healthy democracy
Cops are largely an anti protest force and it's a core part of their job

They've been strike and protest busters from the start and that's not just a Victorian thing that's globally

They're the enforcement arm of the government when it comes to civilians and if you're protesting the government the cops are likely going to make your life difficult

More protests means more people dissatisfied with their circumstances

And it will mean more disruption because without disruption protests are largely in effective
Protesters don't have the right to do whatever they want and disrupt those trying to go about their lives. There were trams banked up all along Collins Street because some rednecks mistakenly thought people wanted to hear the tripe that was coming out of their mouths.

I'm not really buying how dissatisfied people are with their circumstances, particularly with the bollocks I had to listen to on Saturday. A bunch of 40/50 somethings bemoaning how the government can facilitate kids transitioning is hardly stop the presses kind of stuff.

Some protests should be ineffective....

The other side of that coin is more disruption through more protests makes each individual protest less newsworthy.

It is also worth noting that in 2024 we have essentially the same way of making a point as 1924.
News decides what it wants to cover and how to cover it.
Like how climate change protests get covered vs Nazis marching in Melbourne for example

You have no control over who protests or what they protest beyond whether you join, you stay away or you organise a counter protest

1924 doesn't really come into it

Protesters don't have the right to do whatever they want and disrupt those trying to go about their lives. There were trams banked up all along Collins Street because some rednecks mistakenly thought people wanted to hear the tripe that was coming out of their mouths.

I'm not really buying how dissatisfied people are with their circumstances, particularly with the bollocks I had to listen to on Saturday. A bunch of 40/50 somethings bemoaning how the government can facilitate kids transitioning is hardly stop the presses kind of stuff.

Some protests should be ineffective....
Mouth breathers are going to do their thing, the temptation to change laws to stop them leads to reduced rights for everyone
You don't like their protest organise a counter protest
Happens all the time

Like how climate change protests get covered vs Nazis marching in Melbourne for example

You have no control over who protests or what they protest beyond whether you join, you stay away or you organise a counter protest

Mouth breathers are going to do their thing, the temptation to change laws to stop them leads to reduced rights gor everyone
You don't like their protest organise a counter protest
Happens all the time
Why should I need to arrange a counter protest to follow dropkicks around the city. I have no issue with them voicing their opinions, but do it somewhere like the steps of parliament (which given it's about law making would make sense) or Flinders St station.

Maintaining the right to protest doesn't have to be at the expense of maintaining people's rights to not be put out by it.

I'm not the one railing against protests - I understand the argument about the need to disrupt etc.

But there has been no development to a better, more effective way of getting a point across. The vaccination mandates held, Israel continues to act the way it is acting... perhaps the protests are at least a little bit performative.

Why should I need to arrange a counter protest to follow dropkicks around the city. I have no issue with them voicing their opinions, but do it somewhere like the steps of parliament (which given it's about law making would make sense) or Flinders St station.

Maintaining the right to protest doesn't have to be at the expense of maintaining people's rights to not be put out by it.
Yeah it does
Protests that don't impact anyone don't change anything
Like I said uf you're pushing for cops to solve the problem then you're pushing for the right to protest to be further eroded here and governments are looking for public support to do just that

I'm not the one railing against protests - I understand the argument about the need to disrupt etc.

But there has been no development to a better, more effective way of getting a point across. The vaccination mandates held, Israel continues to act the way it is acting... perhaps the protests are at least a little bit performative.
I think this last bit is a little unfair.

As you say how we can influence is limited, giving up certainly won't do anything

Continuing to be visible and raise the issue might not either but it's got a better chance than giving up

Visibility matters in shows of solidarity as well

Do you honestly think protests on repeat that disrupt will change anything?

Why is it that Victoria is the ONLY state not to introduce a permit system? Yes it is a democratic right to protest, but we've had 500+ already this year, and to borrow an old expression, nothing exceeds like excess

Do you honestly think protests on repeat that disrupt will change anything?

Why is it that Victoria is the ONLY state not to introduce a permit system? Yes it is a democratic right to protest, but we've had 500+ already this year, and to borrow an old expression, nothing exceeds like excess
Needing permission from the government to protest sounds a little fashy to me
Surprised Dan didn't do it tbh

Yeah it does
Like I said uf you're pushing for cops to solve the problem then you're pushing for the right to protest to be further eroded here and governments are looking for public support to do just that
That's a load of absolute s*. How many people are you going to sway by annoying the f out of them. This is just something people tell themselves to justify acting like absolute knobs...

I think this last bit is a little unfair.

As you say how we can influence is limited, giving up certainly won't do anything

Continuing to be visible and raise the issue might not either but it's got a better chance than giving up

Visibility matters in shows of solidarity as well
Of course it does. But stand somewhere and hand out flyers and engage in meaningful discussion with those who want to stop and listen. Don't wander down city streets holding everyone up, or glue yourself to a road... It's dumb and counter productive

That's a load of absolute s*. How many people are you going to sway by annoying the f out of them. This is just something people tell themselves to justify acting like absolute knobs...
the biggest lie modern liberalism has sold people is that peaceful non disruptive protests are the only way

they're pretty much the opposite of what has been successful in the past

go look at all the large movements that changed how western countries work and you wont find a bunch of people getting a permit to sit out of the way with a few signs patiently waiting for change

stop focusing on the sov cits, who gives a s**t about them, they're not going to enact real change, just because they are annoying isn't a good reason to erode the right to protest for actual relevant issues though

Of course it does. But stand somewhere and hand out flyers and engage in meaningful discussion with those who want to stop and listen. Don't wander down city streets holding everyone up, or glue yourself to a road... It's dumb and counter productive
you think they haven't spent decades handing out flyers which you ignore?

you think there haven't been decades of attempts to get meaningful action on climate change?

if that is what you think it really does show the lack of results doing that provides

Can only assume Gralin that you don't come into the City and have not been caught up / disrupted by protestors.

All I can say is that the Extinction Rebellion dickheads are lucky the woman who ended up giving birth on the Westgate Bridge did not lose her baby, or that the dickheads who tampered with the traffic lights did not cause a serious accident.

But this is what happens when you let these dickheads protest ad-infinitum. You give them an inch and they take a mile

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back