Review Round 11 = Fremantle 75-75 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved Fly’s message - pure pride. Yes there will be things we can improve on. What is pleasing the result was in our control.

Umpire assisted momentum, home ground advantage, freakish goals, a high percentage of inexperienced players, no key forwards, out on our feet, plus a switch to slow down the game, some uncharastically poor goal kicking, all conspired to to pave the way for Freo’s unlikely comeback. The boys did us proud. 9 out of 10 times we win, even with the freakish stuff.

Darcy Cameron and Naicous from memory our 2 best. Mihocek mammoth until injured, Crisp stepped up big time in the second half. Josh pretty good all game. Pendles lifted in the third. Can’t recall but must have been some good performances all round from the more senior guys. Quanor seems to be finding form and Noble pretty good.

Kids:
Harvey Harrison and Joey Richards, have a place in our best 22. Not sure who goes out, but on that form they are best 22. Both project as potential top 15 players.
Parker, to me looked comfortable, showed very good signs. Given his history, composure, age, looks a likely prospect to become at least a top 22 player in the future.
Sullivan, came good in the second half. Currently projects as good depth player, however, he has only played 3 or 4 games. Who knows how much improvement is in him.
Dean, found it hard to judge his game. Probably solid. Didn’t see him do anything wrong and loved the tackle near the end when he won the free. I would say solid - hopefully something to build off.
Alan, some signs, but not there yet. If he can build strength to break tackles, watch out.

Overall, a game we should have one and one that bodes well for the future. Still haven’t lost since round 2 :), what a freakish team

Last edited:
I too thought he was surprisingly good for much of the night. He certainly seemed prolific with possessions and stood up well in the contests. If I was looking for our weakest link, my eyes wouldn't rest on him for more than a split second. He made some mistakes and maybe cost us the game but he more than played his role.
I’m certainly not blaming him for the free. Laying only ONE tackle puts his contest work in context.

You say 'when we are at full strength'. Problem is that as we are currently collecting more injuries each week than is balanced by returning players, we will be in a world of pain in the coming weeks and the losses we have avoided may become inevitable. The only player missing last night who is a chance to come back next week according to McRae is Howe.
And he's just about cooked. Few others out of form but can't really be dropped.
Need to tough it out for 3 weeks get a training block and hope most return. Win 2 of next 3 and can launch. Toughish run home but 7 of last 8 at the g.
Full strength we are one of 5 that can win it

Sullivan was very good last night, he has elite composure and decision making.
But boy did he fail some tests in the last two minutes. Leaving aside the free kick, didn't mark when he could have, twenty seconds later let the ball bounce out of his possession for the dockers to pick up. Not massive blues but noticeable.

You say 'when we are at full strength'. Problem is that as we are currently collecting more injuries each week than is balanced by returning players, we will be in a world of pain in the coming weeks and the losses we have avoided may become inevitable. The only player missing last night who is a chance to come back next week according to McRae is Howe.

What about McInnis?

Also we finished 4th in 2022

We were sitting 10th after round 11 on 24 points and 102.9%

It’s as even a comp as I can remember this year. Sydney are the clear stand out. Then there’s a pack of several.
Swans play a very different game to everyone else who play like we do.
I reckon after the 3rd gf loss swans have adapted to have a game plan for the g.

We can always rely on you for our daily dose of catastrophising.
There is 3 months to before the finals, plenty of time to get players back.
All we have to do is qualify.
What you call 'catastrophising' I call realism. I am not talking about having insufficient time to get players back - as you say we have 3 months. I am talking about the games we potentially lose now against better sides while we are in a severely weakened state, starting with last night. Our effort was impressive but in the end against the odds we struggled.

We have to bank winning games to make the finals. It's no use having players return to the side if we are not in a situation to compete for the premiership. Next week we have an even thinner list of available players from which to choose a team. The week after? We're experiencing a nightmare run of injuries.

Superb effort, we just didn’t have the silk at times last night. Also have a few inexperienced guys but largely they are all doing very well.

Mihocek keeps breaking down probably because of how much he carries us! Gutsiest Pie since Burns

I mean their seemed to be a flurry of frees, almost like the umpires were willing Freo over the line.

Frees that are let go during the match are suddenly paid in the closing stages of tight matches. Dubious free kicks can kick start a teams belief and momentum. It's the lack of consistency that people hate.

You can't blame people for being suspicious of umpiring. You would have to be completely naive if you think they don't influence results.

Before the game if someone said you’re going to draw with Freo when you have 6 players under 5 games, Cox will go down and Cameron will have to ruck on his own for the 2nd half against a genuine double ruck combo, Mihocek will do his hammy, you won’t have any talls up forward, Pendles will play the 4th qtr with 1 arm and for the 3rd week in a row you’ll be down to 1 or 2 on the bench with 6 day breaks in between. You’d take it.

But being 25 up with 7mins to go does hurt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really want to love Schultz but he's showing nothing offensively.

Richards and HH have gone past him with a bullet in the space of 3 weeks.
Let me preface my comment by saying I am not having a go at you.... Have you been to any live games or have you watched our games only via TV? Because on TV they only show the immediate vicinity of the ball

He is playing a different role to the one he played at Freo. However he has not been stationed deep forward until last night out of necessity after Brodie went off. He was significantly under sized What TV doesn't show is his constant gut running between deep forward and HB to assist with zone defence then run forward to apply offensive pressure. His offensive pressure contributed to turnovers and 2 goals last night but led to no recognition because he didn't kick them. People need to stop measuring his value solely on the goals he kicks

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Next day this feels way worse than ANZAC Day

ANZAC Day didn’t feel like a loss because we didn’t deserve to win that game even though we should have won

This feels like a loss

Deserved to win, should have won

Sullivan was very good last night, he has elite composure and decision making.

In general or last night?

Because last night he was anything but composed and didn’t make very good decisions at all

He did a couple of good things at the end which was unfortunately undone by the brain fade free

I've seen our draw to come. It's tough with our fully fit team in
Do you think no one else can see the draw?

If can win with the team we've had & under the injury circumstances, there's no reason we can't win with a full squad 😆

Particularly with majority of games at the G.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back