AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to distinguish between disappointment in a number 1 pick and the balance issue.

Sure it's underwhelming to play a #1 as a back pocket/half back but that's not really relevant because:

1. we could use him there and start to address the midfield balance. He may well go on and captain the side from defence where he could be one of the premier small defenders/half backs in the league; and

2. there is no point trading him for fair value, which would be a mid to late second round pick. How does that help?

If you can get a first round pick I understand. Though, who's stumping up a first round pick? I would be shocked.

Sure Saad landed a great pick after 3 years as the premier player in his position in the league.
You dont trade him for a mid to late 2nd. He's worth more. There's a correlation between salary and trade value. McGrath won't leave for less than a 4 x 650k. That will equal a mid to late 1st. I think he'll only want to leave if a team says 'we see you as a full time on baller'.

I think like others have said he can be a very good defender plus I think he appears to have very good character traits that you need around a club. Sensible, well spoken, but he also sticks up for players on the field (ok maybe not you Dylan) …good leadership qualities.

Unless we offer him a crap deal I think he stays (personal opinion) . This will be his first good contract opportunity so it will come down to dollars but what we know from his character he is the type of player who would stay for a bit less. I can not see us getting a first round pick for him. His form , injury aside , has been just just above average.

Injured during match sim apparently. Coping injuries during the bye round, all you can do is laugh 😂
well… playing funny buggers with his contract might have backfired then.

his dick?

I looked it up, and it's defined as the area between the abdomen and the upper thigh on either side of the body.... as you can see below.

groin2.gif

I looked it up, and it's defined as the area between the abdomen and the upper thigh on either side of the body.... as you can see below.

View attachment 1417522
disgusted homer simpson GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should ask him what the go is lmao.

No intention of leaving but it's St Kilda who is trying to bid up his contract

Andrew McGrath has told Essendon his future lies with them as St Kilda circles the former No.1 draft pick.

The Bombers are supremely confident of retaining McGrath, despite the player postponing talks on a new deal.

McGrath, 24, is being courted by the Saints, but the versatile midfielder has reassured the club he has no intention of leaving Tullamarine.

McGrath won’t be rushed on a new deal, however, and is determined to find form in the second half of the season before turning his attention to a contract negotiation.

He took his time signing his current contract, which wasn’t announced until October 2020.

McGrath remains in doubt for Friday night’s clash against Carlton after experiencing groin soreness during match simulation over the bye weekend.

I assume this is one of those media beat ups where they try and make something out of nothing. Some media dude asks some nobody at the Saints if they would be interested in McGrath if he was available. The guy says yes, of course. So, we now have a story the Saints are interested in McGrath. Presto.

Personally, unless a player is spotted having coffee with an old friend or "mentor" from another club, I don't believe the rumour. I call this the "Cup 'o Joe" test.

Confirmation of what we already knew really.
Joint vice-captain Andrew McGrath is still a chance to take his place in Essendon’s side to face Carlton in the club’s 150-year celebration game on Friday night.

McGrath tweaked his groin during the Bombers' main training session on Saturday morning as the club continued to maintain fitness over the bye weekend.

Head of high performance Sean Murphy said McGrath was giving himself every possibility to ensure he is fit and available for the blockbuster clash, with a clearer selection picture to appear after Wednesday's main session.

“We trained on the weekend and unfortunately Andy’s just tweaked that groin,” Murphy told Essendon FC’s Liberty Financial Performance Update.

“It’s not too bad, but we’ll use the week to assess how that comes up by main training later in the week and his availability for Friday.

“He’s still a chance at this point.”

Returns this week after illness and adductor strain
Essendon will welcome back deputy vice-captain Andrew McGrath for Friday night’s clash with the Saints.

McGrath was a late withdrawal last week after suffering an adductor strain in training during the Bombers’ bye week.

Head of high performance Sean Murphy said the 24-year-old had successfully rehabbed his strain and will return for round 14’s fixture.

“He (McGrath) had that lower adductor injury and just couldn’t quite get up for the game,” Murphy told Essendon FC’s Liberty Financial Performance Update.

“He’ll be available this weekend, it’ll be great to have him back in the team.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back