AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

He's such an odd study Andy. His first year defensively was scary good as a defender, as in he was a move ahead of a lot of his opponents in a contested sense, he'd track where they were planning to run on loose ball, win the contest, use exquisite hands and speed to bamboozle some of the best, rinse & repeat.

He can also rip it up in the midfield but it's like a lucky dip with him. I think it was a Hawks game where he was a mid and just decimated them... Flip the coin over and he wins the contests but then gives some of the ugliest hack it forward known to man...

Niggle, wrong role, confidence etc i just cant pick it...

I do love him and wow when he's on, but the ugly stuff is ugly and there in no denying it either.

I'm pretty sure he'll work it out but it is hard to analyse him sometimes.

Well said

Not only did he have 12 clearances, he had 7 from center bounces. Huge. People have been way too harsh on him given he's playing a role that he didn't train for in the preseason.

It's not like the Big Footy brains trust to be wrong about something and blow it completely out of proportion anyway.

They're all private school boys, public school kids don't get the opportunity that private school ones do. Footy included. Ergo, he's tough for a private school kid ;)

Mitch Robinson = Public School tough
Jason & Mark Moran would have been a tad tougher than Mitch Robinson, you'd think.

Ok, that dart he kicked into Jones is EXACTLY what he needs to do more. Someone should show him that bit of play/kick on loop for the week rather than spraying them high up and under thinking he's under pressure with every kick. Lower the eyes! He can do it, he just needs to realise he's not always under as much pressure as he thinks. Played pretty well today with Merrett get ran with, great support alongside Parish who went absolute beast mode again.

This is the kick I was talking about! This right here is exactly what he needs to do more of. He should be shown this piece of footage on loop, because he's capable of doing it. It would drastically change his game + disposal efficiency too, rather than those high up & under's he constantly throws out. One of the best kicks he's dished out all year.

31 disposals but even more so went at 100% efficency today. Huge. Looks to be not getting the previous attention now that Parish has come on as well as he has and Merrett at times gets the run with role from opposition. Seeing Merrett, McGrath and Parish in sync together feeding the ball off one another is a pretty exciting thing!

31 disposals but even more so went at 100% efficency today. Huge. Looks to be not getting the previous attention now that Parish has come on as well as he has and Merrett at times gets the run with role from opposition. Seeing Merrett, McGrath and Parish in sync together feeding the ball off one another is a pretty exciting thing!
Jumped on to post something similar. Looks to be doing less hack kicks forward, and more getting into space to hit a lead up target. I think big Harry just running straight at him gives an easy option. Signs of a good midfield group developing, that when one gets locked down, others can step up and damage the opposition.

Jumped on to post something similar. Looks to be doing less hack kicks forward, and more getting into space to hit a lead up target. I think big Harry just running straight at him gives an easy option. Signs of a good midfield group developing, that when one gets locked down, others can step up and damage the opposition.
Seeing Merrett, Parish and McGrath link up for disposal yesterday..... was exciting!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the development of Darcy will really help pidge a lot. Merret, and Parish atm are superstars and this makes him 3rd in the pecking order. If he was our main man it would be much harder for him. It's a bit like if you have 3 gun talls up fwd it is a lot easier for the bloke taking the opposition 3rd best defender. Yeah, it's a bit different being the midfield because they are pretty unaccountable....but say we were up against the blues...if he has to be better than Walsh...it's pretty hard....but he can do a lot more damage compared to their 3rd mid. Helps the other two are winning the ball to, makes it easier for him.

This is the kick I was talking about! This right here is exactly what he needs to do more of. He should be shown this piece of footage on loop, because he's capable of doing it. It would drastically change his game + disposal efficiency too, rather than those high up & under's he constantly throws out. One of the best kicks he's dished out all year.

Wow. Watch Fyfe watch Parish. Longmuir would have spewed.

As was pointed out to me when I dialled in yesterday, 9 kicks and 22 handballs speaks for his DE. That said, if it means we're controlling the ball better rather than throwing away our possessions, the practice is instructive.

As was pointed out to me when I dialled in yesterday, 9 kicks and 22 handballs speaks for his DE. That said, if it means we're controlling the ball better rather than throwing away our possessions, the practice is instructive.
Regardless of the kick to handball ratio, going at 100% for a full four quarters, as a midfielder and getting 31 touches is a feat and that's pretty special.

Last edited:
He was awesome obviously but I need to point out having watched the replay how much I loved that play when he was all alone blitzing into our F50. He could've easily pinned the ears and nailed the goal - which I have no doubt he would've done because he's a great shot when on the run.

Not only to have the composure and vision to hit up Jones; I think it speaks a lot about his character too. There's a few members in this team who wouldn't dream of passing up a shot at goal even if it were for the betterment of the team. Good to see McGrath isn't one of them (not that I really ever thought otherwise). I love how was keen to get his young team mates involved.

He was awesome obviously but I need to point out having watched the replay how much I loved that play when he was all alone blitzing into our F50. He could've easily pinned the ears and nailed the goal - which I have no doubt he would've done because he's a great shot when on the run.

Not only to have the composure and vision to hit up Jones; I think it speaks a lot about his character too. There's a few members in this team who wouldn't dream of passing up a shot at goal even if it were for the betterment of the team. Good to see McGrath isn't one of them, and I love how was keen to get his young team mates involved.
I think a large part of the mentality around going the option of kicking it to Jones was to also to get him involved more/giving him opportunity. Sure, he could've blazed away and likely kicked the goal seeing as though it was a fiesta of goals but bringing others into it I think was the correct mentality. Shows how he is thinking and how unselfish of a player/person he is. I think he is a very smart footballer, growing as a leader every game too.

I think a large part of the mentality around going the option of kicking it to Jones was to also to get him involved more/giving him opportunity. Sure, he could've blazed away and likely kicked the goal seeing as though it was a fiesta of goals but bringing others into it I think was the correct mentality. Shows how he is thinking and how unselfish of a player/person he is. I think he is a very smart footballer, growing as a leader every game too.

Also, if your forward has gone to the effort of leading, is in space, and directly in front - honour it. Simple team rule that all players should adhere to - McGrath is leading by example.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back