AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Almost exclusively inside mid next year

No more of this wing sh*t, that position doesn't suit any of his attributes
Pace and running with the footy does not suit wing ?
I am opposite. Do not see him as inside midfield as his best spot. In fact I am with eDPS in that he would be a good half forward / midfield.
Personally I think he is a much better player when he is running with the footy and not kicking around corners under pressure.

Pace and running with the footy does not suit wing ?
I am opposite. Do not see him as inside midfield as his best spot. In fact I am with eDPS in that he would be a good half forward / midfield.
Personally I think he is a much better player when he is running with the footy and not kicking around corners under pressure.
His pace is over estimated. He's great off the mark and has super agility and step which all talks to inside game. He's also now built like a bull, low COG, thick wide hips perfect for the inside work.

On the wing your 3 main requirements are really endurance, kicking penetration and a bit of height helps with intercepting down back or getting one v ones on the fat side forward. Mcgrath has none of these

His pace is over estimated. He's great off the mark and has super agility and step which all talks to inside game. He's also now built like a bull, low COG, thick wide hips perfect for the inside work.

On the wing your 3 main requirements are really endurance, kicking penetration and a bit of height helps with intercepting down back or getting one v ones on the fat side forward. Mcgrath has none of these

I would argue he certainly does have endurance. Would also argue his kicking on the run is good and he hits targets. Height is a plus and an advantage he does not have.
He had enough pace to break the lines at under 18 level and when he came into the system. That pace of the mark is all you need to be able to run 10 to 15 meters and kick it 50.
Yes he is thicker but my opinion is it has been to the determent of his game and when he plays inside he more often than not kicks around the corner. His inside game is not at the same level as Parish , McGrath , Shiel or even what Caldwell has shown.
What he has shown in the past is he is good around goals and when he was playing back half he was good by foot and creative. His one wood in the under 18 was being the bloke moving the footy off half back.
My opinion is they have made a mistake beefing him up. Before his injury he was struggling to defend parts of the ground as he had no zip at all. That was not the case previously.
Did not intend to imply I thought wing was his go. I think half forward / half back is his go with some midfield time and maybe some wing. Just do not think he is the inside midfield option.

Last edited:
I would argue he certainly does have endurance. Would also argue his kicking on the run is good and he hits targets. Height is a plus and an advantage he does not have.
He had enough pace to break the lines at under 18 level and when he came into the system. That pace of the mark is all you need to be able to run 10 to 15 meters and kick it 50.
Yes he is thicker but my opinion is it has been to the determent of his game and when he plays inside he more often than not kicks around the corner. His inside game is not at the same level as Parish , McGrath , Shiel or even what Caldwell has shown.
What he has shown in the past is he is good around goals and when he was playing back half he was good by foot and creative. His one wood in the under 18 was being the bloke moving the footy off half back.
My opinion is they have made a mistake beefing him up. Before his injury he was struggling to defend parts of the ground as he had no zip at all. That was not the case previously.
Did not intend to imply I thought wing was his go. I think half forward / half back is his go with some midfield time and maybe some wing. Just do not think he is the inside midfield option.
He might be ok endurance wise but the best wingers are winning the time trials Stanton, I.Smith, Hill, Gaff, Sidebottom ect. I've never seen him in the top 10 and as a club I don't think we've had the best endurance athletes of the past

I think too many underestimated part of his 2020 year predominantly as an inside mid. It was of very high level. I actually think his inside game is better than Shiel and Caldwell for now he is still early in his career.

There aren't many/any times acceleration plays its part on the wing and very limited when it does. It's more about top end speed and maintaining a high end speed for a longer period of time.

We will have to play a genuine mid at half forward who takes over from Stringer after the CBA but I probably see Caldwell as perfect for that

The main 4 CBA attendances I'd like to see come from Parish, Stringer, Shiel and McGrath with small stints from Caldwell

Last edited:
He might be ok endurance wise but the best wingers are winning the time trials Stanton, I.Smith, Hill, Gaff, Sidebottom ect. I've never seen him in the top 10 and as a club I don't think we've had the best endurance athletes of the past

I think too many underestimated part of his 2018 year predominantly as an inside mid. It was of very high level. I actually think his inside game is better than Shiel and Caldwell for now he is still early in his career.

There aren't many/any times acceleration plays its part on the wing and very limited when it does. It's more about top end speed and maintaining a high end speed for a longer period of time.

We will have to play a genuine mid at half forward who takes over from Stringer after the CBA but I probably see Caldwell as perfect for that

The main 4 CBA attendances I'd like to see come from Parish, Stringer, Shiel and McGrath with small stints from Caldwell

I thought I addressed the wing comment. I do not see wing as his position. My remark was more based on McGrath actually having some attributes that suit wingers. Actually do not agree at all with some of your wing comments. There are many different styles of wingers. I will say flat out that you need as much endurance to play midfield as you do wing as you have to get to as many contests as possible hence Parish putting in a big effort into his running in pre season. Anyway.

You have to be mistaken with 2018 as he only 3 games with 4 or more clearances and in those games it was stoppage clearances that produced the numbers. Even in 2019 he only had one game with 4 clearances. His 2020 work was a lot better.
Opinions are opinions . Not going down the Shiel rabbit hole again.

Last edited:
You blokes are trying to PIDGEon-hole him into one spot

Personally I want to focus on midfield craft, with a focus towards to shutting down an opponent. There will be times when we need someone to play midfield in a run-with role and I think he'd do it better than our other top 6 mids. He might lack the height to go on a really tall mid (bont, cripps) but he's got the strength and stamina to match it with most mids.

Last edited:
I’d look at using McGrath forward with stints through the midfield, we have enough wing options and McGrath could also offer genuine speed and pressure inside 50. Could also help him refine his attacking game and show he can be a damaging player forward of centre.
Been saying for a couple of years now that we should look at him forward.

Looks like he is spending the offseason working on his Speed 🤷

Excellent. One of Pigeons greatest qualities as a player, he will never stop trying to improve. If he can use his run out of a contested situation rather than the no look dump kick/ hospital handpass next year, we will see another Parish type rise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like he is spending the offseason working on his Speed 🤷

Exactly what I said he should be doing . Has line breaking ability even if he is not an outright jet.

Exactly what I said he should be doing . Has line breaking ability even if he is not an outright jet.
Hasn't used that pace or agility as a weapon since year 1.
Hoping he finds a way to use it for smart running patterns to find clear air out of congestion. Walsh is very good at it. Time and space should see an end to the rushed dump kicks he's been employing lately.

I do love this bloke - has his limitations but you know he’ll leave no stone unturned. Whatever level em gets to, he’ll max out his ability.

Can’t really ask for more than that.

Truck - can we get a look at him playing small forward???

We always said he was limited when we drafted him compared to the 2 behind him who had the higher scope

His speed is very over rated. Think his PB was 10.94 before stacking on serious weight and not training aths. I like his agility and ability to change direction and I like he's improving his acceleration/power will be hopefully to get out of congestion

Let's give him a serious stint as a midfielder without injury and if that ain't working than happy for him to be the AA small defender

I don’t get the play him in the backline calls. He wasn’t creative by foot and didn’t break lines ball in hand.

Yes he’s a great lockdown player but that’s a waste of his ball winning talent imo and excellent hands in tight.

POS: Midfielder, Ht 179cm, Wt 75kg, DOB 2/6/98
From Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

McGrath catapulted himself into the top-10 with a brilliant NAB AFL Under-18 Championships for Vic Metro and never really stopped rising. He edged himself to the top of the draft board with his dash and dare out of defense. The small half-back takes the game on using his elite pace and agility, and is trusted to set up the play and gain meterage for his team. He can also shut down dangerous forwards of different sizes, and then move into the midfield and be a damaging clearance winner. McGrath matches his outstanding athleticism with a tough, aggressive approach on the field, and he captained Brighton Grammar and Vic Metro throughout the year. He is considered a leader of the future but a player who will be able to make an impact right away.

Pick 1: Andrew McGrath
McGrath capped a brilliant debut season by winning the NAB AFL Rising Star award, following captain Dyson Heppell as the only Bombers to take out the honour. McGrath played mostly as a small defender in 2017, locking down some of the competition's best goalkickers, including Adelaide star Eddie Betts. McGrath seems likely to move into the midfield more next year where his sharp movement, quick decisions and poise under pressure will thrive.

Callum Twomey's verdict: The Bombers couldn't go wrong at No.1, particularly when their need was pace and goalkickers. They went with the speedy option in McGrath over Hugh McCluggage, and he'll play right away. They added some class off half-back with Ridley, who had plenty of fans in the second round, and then went for some attacking prowess in Begley. He is an unusual type of half forward but has an uncanny knack for goals. They closed out their night by successfully bidding on GWS academy product Mutch, who is a ball-winner and can find the footy at will, and another inside midfielder in Dylan Clarke. But this draft will be remembered for Essendon having its first No.1 pick in its history, and the Bombers went with a player who should be a long-term part of their push for its next flag.

ESSENDON has crowned Sandringham Dragons speedster Andrew McGrath as the No.1 pick in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft, ending a week of a secrecy and anticipation.

At national level he co-captained Vic Metro to its division one under-18 title and was named an All Australian defender. In the TAC Cup, he starred with 38 disposals in the Grand Final to be named best afield in the Sandringham Dragons' premiership. And at school he captained Brighton Grammar to another flag.
With every game, McGrath pushed himself up the draft board to finish the year as one of the leading contenders for the No.1 choice. Quick (he ran 10.95 seconds in the 100-metre sprint for his school), hard and professional, McGrath's end to the season saw him collect 40 disposals in a game against the Oakleigh Chargers and continue his charge up the rankings.
The former hurdler and 400-metre junior star had little to prove by last month's NAB AFL Draft Combine, but that didn't stop him from blitzing anyway. He came second in the repeat sprints test (24.44 seconds), top 10 in agility and running jumps, and was also good in the endurance tests (13.10 in the beep test and 10:42 in

McGrath has identified Jason Johannisen as the AFL player he'd like to develop into, and it's a good comparison. Johannisen showed the importance of run, speed and dash off half-back with his Norm Smith Medal-winning performance in the Dogs' Grand Final victory. They are also about the same shape and dimensions. In terms of his first year, he could be expected to have the same impact as Swan Callum Mills did in his debut season.

Where McGrath did his damage, as he so often does, is when he shifted to a half-back flank. Down back, he has shown the capability to shut down a dangerous opponent and take intercept marks. What he does better than everyone else though is provide meaningful run and carry.

McGrath often ran 10-plus metres with ball in hand, drawing an opponent, then handballing forward to a target on the move and running forward in support.

In these running sequences, he often starts by winning the ball around the defensive 50m arc and on the offensive drives he generates, he regularly runs in support all the way into the forward 50m, demonstrating his supreme work rate.

POS: Midfielder, Ht 179cm, Wt 75kg, DOB 2/6/98
From Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

McGrath catapulted himself into the top-10 with a brilliant NAB AFL Under-18 Championships for Vic Metro and never really stopped rising. He edged himself to the top of the draft board with his dash and dare out of defense. The small half-back takes the game on using his elite pace and agility, and is trusted to set up the play and gain meterage for his team. He can also shut down dangerous forwards of different sizes, and then move into the midfield and be a damaging clearance winner. McGrath matches his outstanding athleticism with a tough, aggressive approach on the field, and he captained Brighton Grammar and Vic Metro throughout the year. He is considered a leader of the future but a player who will be able to make an impact right away.

Pick 1: Andrew McGrath
McGrath capped a brilliant debut season by winning the NAB AFL Rising Star award, following captain Dyson Heppell as the only Bombers to take out the honour. McGrath played mostly as a small defender in 2017, locking down some of the competition's best goalkickers, including Adelaide star Eddie Betts. McGrath seems likely to move into the midfield more next year where his sharp movement, quick decisions and poise under pressure will thrive.

Callum Twomey's verdict: The Bombers couldn't go wrong at No.1, particularly when their need was pace and goalkickers. They went with the speedy option in McGrath over Hugh McCluggage, and he'll play right away. They added some class off half-back with Ridley, who had plenty of fans in the second round, and then went for some attacking prowess in Begley. He is an unusual type of half forward but has an uncanny knack for goals. They closed out their night by successfully bidding on GWS academy product Mutch, who is a ball-winner and can find the footy at will, and another inside midfielder in Dylan Clarke. But this draft will be remembered for Essendon having its first No.1 pick in its history, and the Bombers went with a player who should be a long-term part of their push for its next flag.

ESSENDON has crowned Sandringham Dragons speedster Andrew McGrath as the No.1 pick in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft, ending a week of a secrecy and anticipation.

At national level he co-captained Vic Metro to its division one under-18 title and was named an All Australian defender. In the TAC Cup, he starred with 38 disposals in the Grand Final to be named best afield in the Sandringham Dragons' premiership. And at school he captained Brighton Grammar to another flag.
With every game, McGrath pushed himself up the draft board to finish the year as one of the leading contenders for the No.1 choice. Quick (he ran 10.95 seconds in the 100-metre sprint for his school), hard and professional, McGrath's end to the season saw him collect 40 disposals in a game against the Oakleigh Chargers and continue his charge up the rankings.
The former hurdler and 400-metre junior star had little to prove by last month's NAB AFL Draft Combine, but that didn't stop him from blitzing anyway. He came second in the repeat sprints test (24.44 seconds), top 10 in agility and running jumps, and was also good in the endurance tests (13.10 in the beep test and 10:42 in

McGrath has identified Jason Johannisen as the AFL player he'd like to develop into, and it's a good comparison. Johannisen showed the importance of run, speed and dash off half-back with his Norm Smith Medal-winning performance in the Dogs' Grand Final victory. They are also about the same shape and dimensions. In terms of his first year, he could be expected to have the same impact as Swan Callum Mills did in his debut season.

Where McGrath did his damage, as he so often does, is when he shifted to a half-back flank. Down back, he has shown the capability to shut down a dangerous opponent and take intercept marks. What he does better than everyone else though is provide meaningful run and carry.

McGrath often ran 10-plus metres with ball in hand, drawing an opponent, then handballing forward to a target on the move and running forward in support.

In these running sequences, he often starts by winning the ball around the defensive 50m arc and on the offensive drives he generates, he regularly runs in support all the way into the forward 50m, demonstrating his supreme work rate.

Why hasn’t his run and carry from his u18 years carried over to AFL? Lost a step so doesn’t have the wheels to do it at AFL level?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back