AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

His first year was on par with Selwoods. However he looks like he could be ahead of Selwood for the 2nd season comparison, admittedly we are only 1 game in and I'm joining the beautiful looking dots together.
Also don't forget Selwood had midfield full of Brownlow medalist to help him.
I love Pidgeon just as much as the next guy, but Joel Selwood was the best first year player I have ever seen.

The fact he was in a midfield with AA galore tells you how good he was to break into - and become an integral part of - that midfield.

Like I said, I love McGrath (especially when he takes the game on and breaks the lines like friday) but lets keep the lid on for just bit more eh....

His first year was on par with Selwoods. However he looks like he could be ahead of Selwood for the 2nd season comparison, admittedly we are only 1 game in and I'm joining the beautiful looking dots together.
Not even close. A great year from McGrath, but come off it!

Lid well and truly off there! :thumbsu:

Selwood has his haters but he's an incredible captain and player, and - in my opinion - very underrated on-field even given his profile.

In the minority but I see them as very different types of players. One is a nuggety, bustling player destined for the midfield.

The other was just silk who played a good portion of his career in the back pocket. Better comparisons out there. I just can't think of any.

He glides like Wanganeen ...has acute awareness of what’s around him...makes decisions in a micro second with sublime execution and rarely gets caught with ball in hand. :)

Surprisingly not! Old mate was in Sydney, so I was sitting by myself with the SEN app lagging 21 seconds behind play, raging at the fact that I needed a slash and General Admission is RUTHLESS for seating.

The bloke was abusing Langford for no reason though, so there's a high chance he's a BF user.

Surprisingly not! Old mate was in Sydney, so I was sitting by myself with the SEN app lagging 21 seconds behind play, raging at the fact that I needed a slash and General Admission is RUTHLESS for seating.

The bloke was abusing Langford for no reason though, so there's a high chance he's a BF user.
Kelvin.

Not sure he's sprayed a kick since being on the list, the poise he has for a teenager is absurd.
There was one. Hawthorn fans use it to justify why he shouldn't have gotten the Rising Star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All due respect..I would have to disagree with this. Don't get me wrong, McGrath had a really good year last year, but Selwood's first year was pretty special. Hard as nails, and stood up a couple of times early on when his highly talented colleagues didn't. To break into that midfield at 18, and on occasion show them how it was done...was pretty incredible.

And his second year...well you may want to look back & refresh your memory. State team, Sixth in the Leigh Matthews, fifth in the Brownlow, prelim All Australian Squad, polled in the Norm Smith..the guy had as good a first two seasons as you could imagine or want from a young player.

Since first years since 2000 IMO.

1. Selwood
2. Judd
3. Heppell

Rhys Palmer was really good in his first year too.

I was just watching the first quarter again, McGrath 1v1 seriously outplays everybody. He's so clutch. I don't remember the last time I thought of 1v1 ability when I thought of a non-defender.

Half tempted to suggest he spend some time playing forward.

Was coming out at a rate of knots against Freo - he'd be an awesome pressure player up front.

Wish we had three of him!

Since first years since 2000 IMO.

1. Selwood
2. Judd
3. Heppell

Rhys Palmer was really good in his first year too.

I was just watching the first quarter again, McGrath 1v1 seriously outplays everybody. He's so clutch. I don't remember the last time I thought of 1v1 ability when I thought of a non-defender.
Cyril Rioli?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back