AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Why hasn’t his run and carry from his u18 years carried over to AFL? Lost a step so doesn’t have the wheels to do it at AFL level?
I thought he did use it in his first year at half back and into his first few years but since they have bulked him up he has lost a little of the zip. I presume that is why they are working on getting it back.

I thought he did use it in his first year at half back and into his first few years but since they have bulked him up he has lost a little of the zip. I presume that is why they are working on getting it back.
Personally, never thought he’s had a burst of speed over his opponent. Good speed but not line breaking.

Personally, never thought he’s had a burst of speed over his opponent. Good speed but not line breaking.
Not saying he is in the top bracket but he had always had some speed. None of the descriptions posted above are mine. All from various sources. The general consensus before the draft was he was the pick for us because he had decent pace and could break the lines at a time we lacked pace in the midfield. He was 100% a line breaker in his top age year. He may rate as above average pace wise rather than elite but he can still break the lines.

At 179cm, 75kg, McGrath is the best in the draft at providing run-and-carry with ball in hand and there are few juniors in recent memory who provide the overlap run in support that McGrath does.

From the Instagram link earlier, gives a sense of how he's tracking (Ridley also training with that group)

McGrath; 3rd over 10m, 1st over 60m, and by far the best top speed @ 37.11km/h
Ridley; 4th over 10m, 3rd over 60m, 2nd highest top speed @ 34.29 km/h

For comparison, as per the Telstra tracker, the top speed recorded during a game was 36.1 km/h by Nick Hind (Saad was 3rd at 35.7 km/h).

Looks to me like McGrath's issue is that whilst his top speed is exceptional, his acceleration over 10m isn't getting him there quick enough to get clear of congestion to really use it. If he's already on the move then very few players will be able to catch him.

Also Ridley is quicker than people probably would have expected.

Obviously that's just my thoughts based off a very superficial view of some data.

Foot injury, then a PCL, whilst trying to bulk up for a inside mid role. Makes sense that he’s been slower then usual.

A uninterrupted preseason focusing on speed will be massive for him. Boy if he gets to Parish/Merrett levels which he absolutely could do, we are flying!

His step and agility in and out of traffic is his absolute best asset in my opinion. I also think his 2nd best asset is probably his team minded ability to defend and do the right things for the side.

He will be a brilliant defensive onballer who avgs in the vicinity of 30 disp a game if given a go without injury.

We were tracking him as an inside mid until injury

I can see him being a small brute inside the contest similar to a viney/Libba but one who defends better and wins more consistent ball whilst also having both covered in acceleration and speed out of the contest

His 2020 season was very good. He started 2021 pretty damn well aswell.

I'd like to see him IN and Zac OUT

McGrath's biggest issue is his kicking which is one that may never be fixed - At best he could reach Parish's level of kicking which is a desirable outcome.

Has completed every session with the 1st-5th years (can you believe he's a 6th year player already??) :)

“McGrath has been a standout for me,” Murphy said.

“He’s actually partaken in the whole block with the young players, along with Ridley and Francis. He is coming off that injury last year where he got back to playing, but he’s just got confidence over the off-season and I’ve been impressed with his first three weeks.

“He’s got that power and that agility step is his weapon, and we’ve certainly seen that on the track.”

Power and agility but lets hang him out on a wing where those attributes arent best utilised

I hope we decide hes one of our full time onballers this year. He should be captain this year or next (likely 2023) and i want that happening as an inside mid.

Stringer, Shiel, Parish, Mcgrath as the main 4 CBA attenders

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Power and agility but lets hang him out on a wing where those attributes arent best utilised

I hope we decide hes one of our full time onballers this year. He should be captain this year or next (likely 2023) and i want that happening as an inside mid.

Stringer, Shiel, Parish, Mcgrath as the main 4 CBA attenders
i'd argue that agility is pretty important to the wing, as well as his defensive skills in ground-ball 1v1 situations. but i agree that he should be attending the CBs, and if not, should be in the back 6 (eg. picking up the dashing line-breaker role if Hind is injured, etc)

Short video interview - 2 minutes.

Got away to Queensland in his break.

Intense training at the moment.

Training to play finals football and be there at the end of the year. Game plan and intricacies of that are a focus.

Personally - tracking well, his main goal is to be out on the park as much as possible. A couple of years riddled with injury. Season goals, hasn't really figured it out yet but get the best out of himself and bring his team mates along with him.

January intense training, then practice games in February. 4 day break over Australia Day.

i'd argue that agility is pretty important to the wing, as well as his defensive skills in ground-ball 1v1 situations. but i agree that he should be attending the CBs, and if not, should be in the back 6 (eg. picking up the dashing line-breaker role if Hind is injured, etc)

I'd love to see McGrath playing back. We've got a lot of depth through the middle now. He's an ok Midfielder, but he'll make a top notch defender. In combination with Hind we have two line breakers running out of defense.

I like McGrath waxing with the defenders. Not only is he a better defender than midfielder but the fact that he can do both makes selection a bit more flexible, can potentially pick another midfield rotation.

I like McGrath waxing with the defenders. Not only is he a better defender than midfielder but the fact that he can do both makes selection a bit more flexible, can potentially pick another midfield rotation.
Agree and he generally made good quick decisions with the footy. Did not have any big blistering runs down the ground Hind style but looks like he has a bit of his pace of the mark back as a few times he used it to get out of trouble and then find a target.

McGrath could be the best small defender in the game or he could be like a top 30 midfielder. I prefer him down back. Racks it up, shuts down opposing players and makes really good decisions back there.

I'm sure he'll still be a part of midfield rotations but our backline would be so much stronger if he was back there whereas our midfield is deep enough to cover.

It’s almost as if as a young gun you have to aim to be a midfielder

Everyone wants a crack. No number one picks come in and say “hoping to be a premium small defender”

If we pick our best line up McGrath is a defender.

He is very high in the status pecking order at the club so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

It’s almost as if as a young gun you have to aim to be a midfielder

Everyone wants a crack. No number one picks come in and say “hoping to be a premium small defender”

If we pick our best line up McGrath is a defender.

He is very high in the status pecking order at the club so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

We need to get over the fact you don't really aim to take a small defender with the first pick in the draft due it being a a low impact position. McGrath can make it a high impact position. There are a few half backs that have balanced defensive/offensive games. There isn't a player in that position that can be as dominant defensively and offensively as McGrath can. He could be like if Nick Smith and Caleb Daniel had a love child. That will be a big point of difference for us.

We need to get over the fact you don't really aim to take a small defender with the first pick in the draft due it being a a low impact position. McGrath can make it a high impact position. There are a few half backs that have balanced defensive/offensive games. There isn't a player in that position that can be as dominant defensively and offensively as McGrath can. He could be like if Nick Smith and Caleb Daniel had a love child. That will be a big point of difference for us.
I think when Dodo picked him he knew McGrath was capable of having an impact all over the ground. He had obvious leadership qualities, had good athletic ability, and he seemed completely driven to get the absolute best out of himself. It was a safe pick. I dont think he picked him thinking that McGrath would definitely be the best midfielder. McGrath himself has obviously always wanted to play midfield but he has so much impact at half back, i just hope he himself is happy to spend more time back there. All his best attributes are on display there. He is deputy vice captain and a highly regarded leader so im sure he is just happy to do whats best for the team. Id love to see him do his thing at half back and then just have bursts through the middle to mix things up when/if we need a spark in there

Its year 6 of his career.

His value to the team is no longer based on draft position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back