AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the replay last night, was at the game but have average eyesight so miss things, he played forward so much more frequently yesterday, that's when he's damaging.

Having said that if we don't have structure ahead he'll look worse than he actually is, he's trying to make plays, hopefully the team can find it's groove all the time.
Same. His short kicks to then run and receive and go again can be quite damaging when he gets going. And when he goes up the ground he's like an extra mid. Gets so much of the ball. I probably need to look a bit more closely when i watch McGrath.

Has to start looking up the ground more and dare I say it take a few more safe options . Attack is great but not when you run yourself into corners.
Needs to watch the howler momentum killers. Or the team need to learn when to ignore him and go long to contest. that wing play was never on.

But he had a very good game for mine. Good running. Less dump kicks.
Will assess on a less hot day, but was jogging about still when he needed to sprint after opponents.

it was glaringly noticeable that on a number of occasions he didn't take the very first option to dish off but rather assessed and took responsibility himself. I've been so critical of this habit of his, which often looks like (and sometimes is) panicking. But on Saturday he didn't do it all the time and he was soooo much better and more impactful as a result

He's generally a pretty boring one for an interview, but the nice thing about this one is Nathan Buckley is asking the questions, and a former coach asks very different questions. Asking about Nic Martin and what he's like to play with (it's insightful Beerfish). About Sicily getting a week for kicking McGrath and that McGrath doesn't even have a bruise from it... Reidy's injury.

Kornes even said nice things about the 84/85 anniversary stuff at the game 👀

it was glaringly noticeable that on a number of occasions he didn't take the very first option to dish off but rather assessed and took responsibility himself. I've been so critical of this habit of his, which often looks like (and sometimes is) panicking. But on Saturday he didn't do it all the time and he was soooo much better and more impactful as a result
All of THIS

McGrath was great. Needs to drop the sidestep from his game though. Don't think I've ever seen him successfully step someone, seems to get caught every time. Much better when he straightlines the ball/runs his angles and dishes off before he hits trouble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Seemed far more composed than usual.

love that he'll go to bat for siciliy, he's a man of great character i think.

hopefully the same goes for redman and his defence
This was most unexpected, and welcome. My opinion of him ( and actually lots of us on the Hawks board ) has been elevated to a whole new level.

Kudos to him - best wishes to him for the year ahead.

Now to get Sicily to stop exercising his right to be a d!ckhead.
Cheers all

On the news last night showed arriving back in a moon boot. They said only pre cautionary and expect his to be right this week. I guess that means 6-8 weeks

On the news last night showed arriving back in a moon boot. They said only pre cautionary and expect his to be right this week. I guess that means 6-8 weeks
Precautionary moonboot? Wtf?
We cannot catch a break, next stringer will rock upto training in a precautionary neck cone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back