Player Watch #1: Hugh Greenwood

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, Snake would probably be the first to disagree with UG here. If he was consistent in one (footy) thing it was that you need old heads to help develop your team.
snakes definitely supportive of the call,

·
Nov 16

I stated last year that the Melbourne/Brown trade was a good match from a "symbiotic" perspective, not only by how Brown could improve the Dees, but how his place in the side would impact the other forwards. I see Hugh Greenwood as a similar "symbiotic" catalyst for North.

He is tipping someone out of the team who would have been in the coach's mind a week ago. More importantly though, looking at the numbers he produces, he's filling a role that we really wouldn't want the younger fellas in. Some will just never be tackling machines and others haven't got the size about them yet.

I've always been pretty ageist when it come to recruiting, but Greenwood looks to have one of those rangy type physiques that will age well. Plus he hasn't got a lot of K's on the body either.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get why you don't rate Will. He's everything you used to like in a footballer: hard, fast, skillful.

Now it seems you just want the skillful part in a team full of front-runners but with no hard and defensive edge. You don't win flags without guys who can go the other way both on the inside and outside, ie Viney and Brayshaw respectively for the most recent premiers. And right now that's a major deficiency in most of our young mids, particularly LDU, who we genuinely have to carry defensively atm.

Brayshaw was *everywhere* in Q3 of the grand final. Huge part of them clicking into gear and playing some of the most pure, fast, skilful attacking footy most would have witnessed, especially considering the stakes. You are 100% correct - to quote a former poster here, symbiosis is the key. This is what shits me about people who don’t rate Mahoney, Turner etc.

I’m not sure what Chad Warner’s year prior to getting drafted was like, but it would have to have been better than Will’s.

Yet Will smoked him in basically every way he could, stat wise

Comparing apples with oranges is never great for someone’s argument.
Your apples to apples comparison looks very good for young Will.
Nothing surer than him having a better career than the Chad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back