Player Watch #1: Hugh Greenwood

Remove this Banner Ad

With you on this, I'm thinking soft tissue injury or maybe didn't follow the game plan or even maybe we went for a different structure but it was very odd that he got dropped so quickly.:think:
was a gun that first game against the eagles, I was of the opinion at the time he was one of the main reasons we walked away with the win, really thought he found a position as the mobile ruck rover, he basically became another midfielder when the ball hit the deck.

He never played that role again, so what do I know either.

Last edited:
was a gun that first game against the eagles, I was of the opinion at the time he was one of the main reasons we walked away with the win, really thought he found a position as the mobile ruck rover, he basically became another midfielder when the ball hit the deck.

The thing is, at that point, Bailey Williams was absolutely rubbish. We won the clearances by 15 despite putting Greenwood and Comben up against him for the last three quarters. He's come on in leaps and bounds since.

You'd be hesitant to try that tactic again. Most of the ruckmen in the comp would win a thousand hitouts to advantage against him. Maybe he'd still have an influence at ground level with his tackling and extraction ability but I wouldn't be comfortable playing him in that role against 90% of opposition rucks

The thing is, at that point, Bailey Williams was absolutely rubbish. We won the clearances by 15 despite putting Greenwood and Comben up against him for the last three quarters. He's come on in leaps and bounds since.

You'd be hesitant to try that tactic again. Most of the ruckmen in the comp would win a thousand hitouts to advantage against him. Maybe he'd still have an influence at ground level with his tackling and extraction ability but I wouldn't be comfortable playing him in that role against 90% of opposition rucks
A lot of teams have successfully used the strategy, having one ruck for centre bounces and then have the ruck drop back to defence. sacrificing the hitout, to get numbers around the ball.

Richmond used it a lot in that three peat years. They basically just stacked the contest in the midfield and pushed a bunch of forwards up, to create a mismatch of numbers;
even to the point of having players like Edwards fore fill that ruck rover role. As soon as the ball hit the deck they were hard to stop.
The bulldogs also did it to much success during their premiership run.

A lot of teams have successfully used the strategy, having one ruck for centre bounces and then have the ruck drop back to defence. sacrificing the hitout, to get numbers around the ball.

Richmond used it a lot in that three peat years. They basically just stacked the contest in the midfield and pushed a bunch of forwards up, to create a mismatch of numbers;
even to the point of having players like Edwards fore fill that ruck rover role. As soon as the ball hit the deck they were hard to stop.
When you put it like that, fair enough. But fitness would be a pretty integral aspect of that style, and I struggle to believe we're gonna be in the upper echelons of the competition fitness-wise after a single preseason spent focusing on it.

The Bulldogs also had the umpires sucking them off to much success during their premiership run. I believe and hope that when our time comes, we'll win it on our merits

I think there is a lot to be said for that approach. Winning the hit out is really only of significant advantage if it is a hit out to genuine advantage. Too often there will be a dominant ruckman in terms of number of hit outs they win, but are actually not all that good at getting the ball to one of their players.

In those circumstances, having someone, as the second ruck option, who is not a genuine ruckman, can be of greater advantage, because once the ball hits the ground, they play more like a midfielder. (Which is what most others are saying here and I'm just repeating. o_O)

He got Nobled.

He looked good whenever and wherever he played, smashed tackle count as well.
I really questioned the new regime when he got dropped. There seemed the same bullish stubbornness to play the same hacks for the same results as existed during the Scott years. Howe and Turner ffs. Hugh also gave us much needed leadership out there, much more than one (if not both) of our captains who are automatic selections.
(Nothing against Jy though, I feel he got better in the role as the year progressed, unlike his partner unfortunately).
I was skeptical about the merits of bringing Greenwood in especially in his first year with us but he pleasantly surprised me last year.
And yep in the ruck rover role he was great and he would’ve been handy in defence too. Or anywhere really.
He’s got the guernsey he wanted. Now let’s see if he actually gets to play in it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’d help us out immediately.
Can’t have that.
Gotta keep getting thrashed and saying “o but tEh future wiLL bE beTTeR 🙏

He’d help us out immediately.
Can’t have that.
Gotta keep getting thrashed and saying “o but tEh future wiLL bE beTTeR 🙏
It's a shocker really isn't it - we get he is only going to be around this year but he ticks 3 boxes - experience, big bodied mid and can take 5 minutes a half as second ruck.

He should be playing in front of quite a few atm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back