Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

ok all good i am looking at a larger picture than just the afl and in no way am i suggesting aaron is taking advantage, i am refering to the image it sends to other industries and in particular the opportunity it presents some of the community who may not have as high a moral compass as others. It may not be a big issue in the afl but in lesser paid positions like my own i can guarantee you the enticement to work two jobs for one or get paid to take time off is too good to pass off for a large number of people

but ill leave it at that and thank for your insights. hopefully we see aaron back one day ass he has alot of potential. or alternatively hopefully we see him succeed at whatever else he chooses to undertake.
Industries and communities create culture; the way they choose to treat issues like this is the way that perception about it changes individuals and the way they approach it. Victimising an ill person because the culture concerns itself more with preserving the bottom line, rather than collectively caring for the individual, seems to me more a sign of how ill the culture is.

ok all good i am looking at a larger picture than just the afl and in no way am i suggesting aaron is taking advantage, i am refering to the image it sends to other industries and in particular the opportunity it presents some of the community who may not have as high a moral compass as others. It may not be a big issue in the afl but in lesser paid positions like my own i can guarantee you the enticement to work two jobs for one or get paid to take time off is too good to pass off for a large number of people
People can and do. Work comes up at a higher paying job so they take sick leave (even unpaid) at their other job in order to pick up the higher paying shift. You see it all the time, but eventually the sick pay does run out, and it's all dependent on medical leave and such as well. Once you have a medical certificate to get time off work (stating you are "unfit for work") you are actually not allowed to work anywhere for the duration of the time specified on the medical certificate because it causes a liability issue for the employer (and I guess you if you knew about it? Not totally sure on the legal side of it).

In Aaron's case he is not so much "unfit for work" as he is essentially on 'light duties' or 'following medical advice' as far as his doctor is concerned.

yes i get that and valid points but put it into perspective.

how would you feel if you worked at a job and someone took personal leave. You picked up the slack as you understood they needed help and took on more work to cover them not being there. Then you see that they are working somewhere else and earning money whilst you slave away to cover them whilst they get paid not to attend your work.

its the principle of the fact that if you provide rewards for taking personal leave or punishment leave then what example does it set for the hard workers who are slogging their arses off on a day to day basis?

personal leave is an important aspect of proteccting the mental health of all individuals but i just think it opens a big can of worms if people see it as a way to get two wages for the price of one! (obviously in the afl the impact is minimal and the large wages mean people wont take advantage but for instance in the disability industry i have often seen people take personal leave for lets just say questionable reasons and this will only influence more people to follow suite)

Many years ago in a large office we worked with a guy who would always take a month off in winter to work as a ski instructor - Drama 5 is thinking outside the box and makes a valid argument

Its quite possible that the club has encouraged Francis to do non footy stuff as a way of helping him and at the same time keeping him active which is known to help people who are suffering mental health issues as the worst thing you can do is let them withdraw into themselves as the negative effects of that start to feed upon itself.

Its a bit like Ash Barty, she was bored with playing tennis, took a break, played cricket before returning to tennis and is now playing much better tennis and seems to be enjoying it as well.

Last edited:
Is it fair to say that after what Josh Green did on the weekend and what has happened with Francis that the club will be done with recruiting rangas?

They are more of a scourge than pokie machines.

Yeah I know, Darren Bewick - he was the pokie equivalent of winning the jackpot though and how often does that happen?

Is it fair to say that after what Josh Green did on the weekend and what has happened with Francis that the club will be done with recruiting rangas?

They are more of a scourge than pokie machines.

Yeah I know, Darren Bewick - he was the pokie equivalent of winning the jackpot though and how often does that happen?

Shane Harvey? I thought it would have stopped way back then

Getting paid twice, is that really going to enter the discussion, even as an analogy? The guy would be on north of $300k, how much perspective would teammates have lost to be concerned by a $100 supplement to his income?

I'd be stunned if any of Francis' teammates begrudged him for getting back into the swing of things by helping out with some basketball coaching.

When someone is in a cycle of what is clearly self-defeating or self-destructive behaviour in the way Francis is, at the end of the day he is a talented kid who is jeopardizing what would be a good AFL career at a minimum, it's about all of the objective confirmation that you need to know that he is clearly afflicted with some sort of mental health issue. It's especially the case when he is not going out and being a 'lad' and getting into trouble.

The only way I can see any of this becoming a problem is if Francis were to come back and then not be made to earn a game like everyone else does. The point at which he earns a game will depend on the condition he returns to the club in and the quality of VFL performances. If he returned in great condition and dominated a month of VFL footy I see no reason why he couldn't play. Either we're going to treat clearly mentally 'injured' people as injured or we're just stuffing around.

Last edited:
drama5 his peers would probably be happy - 1 less to compete with for a spot.

This is the first thing that came to mind, not so much that anyone would be happy as such - if they know Francis & he's a decent bloke (which I assume he is) then I'm sure they all wish him the best, but at the same time, one less body between yourself & your ultimate aim of a starting spot in the 22 or that juicy senior position at the office can make for sweet dreams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reading the last two pages of this thread has been a rollercoaster ride. I'm shitscared of rollercoasters, but I'm glad I went on this one.

Gleeson goes down for half a season next minute Francis back at the club.

I doubt it has any relation but hopefully he can see it as a big opportunity. If he really is in a good head space at the moment he could be playing AFL in a month or so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back