Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ll wear the consequences of his endurance not being up to it, we won’t make finals and playing Francis won’t change that outcome at all, atleast give the supporters something to look forward too for the future.

The media wouldn’t bring him up if his form didn’t warrant selection, I can tell you right now teams like Geelong and Sydney would be giving him a go at the very least because they have shown a willingness to reward the form of younger players in the Reserves and most of them have repaid the faith.

Sydney wouldn't . Alir Alir spent almost a season in the seconds after playing a few games. Had pretty much the same issue that Francis has in that he was a bit of a ball watcher after the initial contest.

So we are telling BJ to retire . Thanks for all your efforts. Sorry we ****** you over because of our past. Thanks for holding the side together in 2016 but you best give it away now despite making a massive effort to improve the weak parts of your game. We are going to play a young bloke who is not ready.

Happens to the best of them, mate. Terry Daniher and Simon Madden both got dropped & had to be told to retire. Jack Clarke got the tap on the shoulder. & wasn't happy. All in the Champions of Essendon list, and the team of the century.

When a player is nearing the end, the club needs to ask - is this player going to: a) be in our next premiership; b) be a good role model/teacher for the up & comers; and c) stop the development of a potentially very, very good player?

The answers in Goddard's case are a) no, b) no, and c) yes.

Francis needs games, and plenty of them. It's not like he hasn't been close, and earned them. We are not going to make the finals, so guys like him & Ridley should be playing.

The difference between Goddard's best & worst is getting wider, seemingly be the day. IMO, he should retire with dignity.

Happens to the best of them, mate. Terry Daniher and Simon Madden both got dropped & had to be told to retire. Jack Clarke got the tap on the shoulder. & wasn't happy. All in the Champions of Essendon list, and the team of the century.

When a player is nearing the end, the club needs to ask - is this player going to: a) be in our next premiership; b) be a good role model/teacher for the up & comers; and c) stop the development of a potentially very, very good player?

Francis needs games, and plenty of them. It's not like he hasn't been close, and earned them. We are not going to make the finals, so guys like him & Ridley should be playing.

The difference between Goddard's best & worst is getting wider, seemingly be the day. IMO, he should retire with dignity.
Ambrose injury should have solved our issue of getting games in to Francis without giving Goddard a spell anyway.
Not sure Goddard will retire, think it's entirely plausible Goddard plays on next year at another club if we don't offer him a contract.

Francis has to want selection as well. That has been part of his comeback to footy. His selection is not as straight up and down as a normal situation.
As far as BJ goes for mine he has the runs on the board. He gets to finished the year before we say thanks BJ. Now it is over to the next generation.

No issue with most of this....but to suggest he’s not a good role model is just wrong.

Have never heard any member of the playing group say otherwise and have heard plenty confirm that he is. If anyone was ever going to support this theory it was Cooney...and even he said Godard was a positive influence on the group and that even the parts of his demeanour that were less than ideal came from a good place.

No issue with most of this....but to suggest he’s not a good role model is just wrong.

I like your work, but disagree with this. I have mentioned previously that I played with a guy like Goddard. Nice guy, but it sucked playing footy with him.

This year, more than ever, I don't think he is setting the example he expects from others... and I think he is rapidly losing the ability to set an example purely from a playing standpoint.

IMO... Guys like Jobe - good role model. BJ? Not so much.

I like your work, but disagree with this. I have mentioned previously that I played with a guy like Goddard. Nice guy, but it sucked playing footy with him.

This year, more than ever, I don't think he is setting the example he expects from others... and I think he is rapidly losing the ability to set an example purely from a playing standpoint.

Fair enough. I agree he’s slipping as a player but everything I hear suggests he’s a strong and positive influence.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And yet everyone who has played with him says the opposite to you.

And yet everyone who has played with him says the opposite to you.

Carlisle and Chappy are two who made public their dislike.

Smoke/ fire.

Not diminishing the amazing work he has done but let’s not play pretends.

Smoke/ fire.

Have they?

Genuinely didnt know that.

And I'll concede smoke fire theory on Chapman. ;) Carlisle I'll be more suspicious.

Smoke/ fire.

They are hardly the best blokes themselves though. Not that that means goddard is perfect but even the best of them will have people who dont like em

In a team with over 40 players it is unrealistic that you will get on with everyone. Carlisle and Chappy not liking BJ doesn't mean that BJ isn't a good bloke or leader. There are probably people who played with Jobe who think he was a w***er too. It's just the nature of office politics, it's bad enough when everyone is on a level playing field, but it is only amplified further when each player earns a vastly different salary.

Everything I've seen and heard indicates that Goddard has been a good leader throughout his tenure at the Bombers. Often during particularly trying circumstances. Furthermore, despite declining in 2018, his form still warrants a spot in the best-22. We continue to carry a range of players vastly less capable than Goddard.

I believe Francis deserves an opportunity. I also believe there is room for Francis and Goddard. Goddard is still a player who can play a variety of roles at a pretty high standard.

Last edited:
In a team with over 40 players it is unrealistic that you will get on with everyone. Carlisle and Chappy not like BJ doesn't mean that BJ isn't a good bloke or leader. There are probably people who played with Jobe who think he was a w***er too. It's just the nature of office politics, it's bad enough when everyone is on a level playing field, but it is only amplified further when each player earns a vastly different salary.

Everything I've seen and heard indicates that Goddard has been a good leader throughout his tenure at the Bombers. Often during particularly trying circumstances. Furthermore, despite declining in 2018, his form still warrants a spot in the best-22. We continue to carry a range of players vastly less capable than Goddard.

I believe Francis deserves an opportunity. I also believe there is room for Francis and Goddard. Goddard is still a player who can play a variety of roles at a pretty high standard.

I'll be sure to forward this on to John Worsfold and the coaching staff.:thumbsu:

In a team with over 40 players it is unrealistic that you will get on with everyone. Carlisle and Chappy not liking BJ doesn't mean that BJ isn't a good bloke or leader. There are probably people who played with Jobe who think he was a w***er too. It's just the nature of office politics, it's bad enough when everyone is on a level playing field, but it is only amplified further when each player earns a vastly different salary.

Myers misses, stick Goddard on the ball.
Ridley in for Ambrose, Francis for Myers
:)
and bring in Parish!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back