Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

I must be seeing a different guy?

Still think he's a liability when gassed, too often dives on the ball, then handballs to anywhere with an empty tank.

Was more impressed with zerk after one game.

Would still entertain a move if the Sa clubs were coughing a 1st... Again I think he has great skills but lacks something in application. It may well click but I'm not sure

No one is coughing up a 1st rounder for Francis at this point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must be seeing a different guy?

Still think he's a liability when gassed, too often dives on the ball, then handballs to anywhere with an empty tank.

Was more impressed with zerk after one game.

Would still entertain a move if the Sa clubs were coughing a 1st... Again I think he has great skills but lacks something in application. It may well click but I'm not sure

I think you might be seeing what you want to see.

Francis has been very good since coming back into the side in round 15 and shifting back to in preferred position in the defensive half.

I think you might be seeing what you want to see.

Francis has been very good since coming back into the side in round 15 and shifting back to in preferred position in the defensive half.

We have some very impatient supporters when it comes to the kids. They look at the best in terms of quick impact like oliver and if our players arent at the same level right away then they get hyper critical of them.

Francis is no where near the finished product and is steadily improving all the time.

Im surprised people aren't seeing what he brings.
When he's in a pack, i have more faith the opposition aren't getting a mark than i do with any of our other defenders.
Could back himself to mark more often than he does, but for now im happy with the spoils.

His use of the ball is sublime too.

In his run back in the side playing defence, Francis has been ranked our 10th, 3rd, 5th, 3rd, 13th, 4th and 10th best performer on field according to the AFL player ratings.

4 performances in our top 5 from 7 games for a defender is a good run.

It's an indicator of something but they're the same ratings that had Langford elite in the competition.

I thought it was telling that he didn't play on McCarthy when he looked like Fremantle's only way of winning.

Reckon that's the source of tension between Francis camp and coaches.

Didn't seem to consider Francis as an option. Not sure the logic necessarily holds at our end but it seems to me that a point was being made at least indirectly (i.e. we trust a debutant to do a job on a dangerous forward more than you).

It's an indicator of something but they're the same ratings that had Langford elite in the competition.

I thought it was telling that he didn't play on McCarthy when he looked like Fremantle's only way of winning.

Didn't seem to consider Francis as an option. Not sure the logic necessarily holds at our end but it seems to me that a point was being made at least indirectly (i.e. we trust a debutant to do a job on a dangerous forward more than you).
Isn't that Zerk's thing though? And why Hooker keeps him out?

Francis was never in line to be our #1 or #2 defender.
He's an intercept 3rd tall.

Hooker/Zerk - #1 forward
Hurley - #2 forward (or Francis if Hurley is out)
Francis - #3 forward
Ambrose - im not sure anymore. Seems like the matchup you want on the monsters like Fyfe, Bont, Dusty...maybe Cripps if Clarke feels like sharing.

Isn't that Zerk's thing though? And why Hooker keeps him out?

Francis was never in line to be our #1 or #2 defender.
He's an intercept 3rd tall.

Hooker/Zerk - #1 forward
Hurley - #2 forward (or Francis if Hurley is out)
Francis - #3 forward
Ambrose - im not sure anymore. Seems like the matchup you want on the monsters like Fyfe, Bont, Dusty...maybe Cripps if Clarke feels like sharing.

That to me is the problem.

There appears to me to be a very narrow view of what role he can play.

It means he's not a best 22 player until 2021/2022 given that Hooker is contracted to the end or 2022.

It means he's not a best 22 player until 2021/2022 given that Hooker is contracted to the end or 2022.
Zerk replaces Hooker for me. Esp after what was seen on the weekend.

Francis is best 22.
Hooker, Hurley, Francis, Ambrose, Saad, McKenna....plus Redman who gets up the ground a bit

I wouldnt say its a narrow view.
In the event of a crisis, he could play on the #1 forward. Should Hooker, then Zerk, then Hurley, then Ambrose not be available.

His strength is his read of the ball, spoiling/marking and his distribution out of defence. Should be looking to use that more often than not

I think he really needs to try to build agility and try to play on smaller forwards, or mobile mediums as it is. Play similarly to Redman, Ridley and Gleeson (partially to release Mason and Jordan up the field).

I think he really needs to try to build agility and try to play on smaller forwards, or mobile mediums as it is. Play similarly to Redman, Ridley and Gleeson (partially to release Mason and Jordan up the field).

His strength is in the air - he’s far better than those three when it comes to marking.

If anybody is to play on smalls I’d go with Ambrose. He has the agility.

His strength is in the air - he’s far better than those three when it comes to marking.

I wouldn't say he's far better than Gleeson, who's an excellent aerialist despite his lean figure. And increasing his agility so he can play on those mediums/smalls will help in that he'd be far more effective at zoning off and cutting off attacks.

Ambrose has a tank, but I'd say agility would be his main weakness as a defender honestly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zerk on McCarthy was always going to be the go for me, he’s quicker and more agile and it simplifies his task down to ‘stop that dude’.

Francis was rolling between Sandi and Darcy and at times he was even on their smalls as well. Exactly what I would expect of him and certainly not any kind of ‘kid gloves’ move.

I don't see how that is a problem. Every team has a third tall or multiple mediums. Gleeson and Redman can play smaller but they can't play as tall as he can.

I don't see how that is a problem. Every team has a third tall or multiple mediums. Gleeson and Redman can play smaller but they can't play as tall as he can.

Francis has put contract talks on hold.

I'd also say we could do a lot better than a 190+cm intercept defender of questionable 1v1 defending.

Pearce, Andrews and Keath are examples of massive athletes that have become very accomplished defenders. Casboult looks a megastar back there as does Liam Jones.

Francis has put contract talks on hold.

I'd also say we could do a lot better than a 190+cm intercept defender of questionable 1v1 defending.

Pearce, Andrews and Keath are examples of massive athletes that have become very accomplished defenders. Casboult looks a megastar back there as does Liam Jones.

You don’t need to have a monster tall though. None of the last three premiers have had a key defender over 195cm. Ball use and ability to support spoil are more important.

I thought he was in our better players. Pretty sure him questioning his role is more to do with being switched forward or remaining back and not switching the roles all the time.

if so, why do we never see him being the long option coming out from the kick in?

they used zerk a few times in his first game, Brown alot - where is frang in this instance?

no tank to get out and back?

He's a 3rd tall intercepting defender

I'd just like to see him take more kick ins

He doesn't need to change just needs to improve. I'm surprised he hasn't quite kicked in as I expected this year. After watching him improve week by week last year and have a really good preseason of training load he'd be a better player by now

Interesting (in that it’s completely irrelevant) to note that he is currently one day older than McGovern was when he made his debut. He’s going well at the moment and he has time on his side

Interesting (in that it’s completely irrelevant) to note that he is currently one day older than McGovern was when he made his debut. He’s going well at the moment and he has time on his side

I'd say it's completely relevant. There seems to be an unrealistic expectation, and I'm not immune from it, that kids walk into the AFL system and are ready to go when they have so much growing to do both physically and mentally. While some seem to make the transition from juniors to seniors easily, most do not.

There is ample time for Francis to carve out a very good career, and he's tracking in the right direction. I'm sure West Coast supporters today don't care how old McGovern was when he debuted.

Reckon he’s made good progress this year in his reading of the play. Yes not as many intercepts as last season but since second half of this season he’s looked more assured.

That run he did against the Crows that resulted in him kicking to forward 50 where Guelfi marked and goaled, couldn’t imagine him doing that last year.

One on one still a work in progress, they showed a passage against Freo where he was marking Walters and then just let him go at a free kick where Walters marked uncontested.

I’d be more surprised if he doesn’t make it as a very good player.

Think he's fine, his major weakness was his endurance, which will take a while to build. Otherwise he's a solid 3rd defender at the moment, which we'd hope progresses to him being a solid 2nd defender, able to defend a man and provide that intercept marking and rebound.

His kicking, marking, read of the play and willingness to make / attempt difficult kicks to open the field are all strong points. Just needs to build his defensive work, tank, and experience.

He's kind of the anti-Ambrose. Ambrose is the negating stopper who can run all day but won't offer a huge amount offensively, Francis has the explosive burst and offensive side, but lacks the ability to shut down an opponent and can't run out games at 100%.

Hurley is actually a good role-model for Francis. At his best Hurley can shut down a player and offer that offensive side (even if he takes fairly safe options these days). I think Francis well and truly has that capability in him, just needs time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back