Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

He should be getting extra fit just to play his position as a medium defender. He's never shown any ability to play as a midfielder, it would be a waste of years of development trying to turn him into one. Time that he should be using to perfect his current role.
How have the years of development worked for him so far as defender?

I think he's regressed the last two seasons and Ridley is basically a better version of him in the same role.

He should be getting extra fit just to play his position as a medium defender. He's never shown any ability to play as a midfielder, it would be a waste of years of development trying to turn him into one. Time that he should be using to perfect his current role.
It doesn’t take that long to become a midfielder if you can read the play well. He could do it in one off season. Not saying to do it just don’t think it’s as difficult as you’re suggesting.

I think he's regressed the last two seasons and Ridley is basically a better version of him in the same role.
Its not a secret that he's struggled and has played only 35 games still. He has played some elite games amongst those though as a 3rd or 4th tall. He has been tried forward at times, battled injury/fitness and form, been asked to play above his weight as a true KP and also battled depression. Not a smooth start but no reason to now try and turn him into a midfielder. He'll settle in defence. I agree Ridley is better. They can both play in the same side though.

Well he missed the first couple years of development and he has not regressed for two years. He was good in 2019. He had an average year this year.
Only played 35 games and is only 23. He can bounce back to his 2019 form .

Over 3-4 games in fairness.
He only played 5 games and it was the last one against Port where he looked very good. The two games leading in where decent. Not outstanding. He would have had 8 or 9 far more superior games in 2019 than the other 2018 games which was my point. He was very good in 2019 and had not regressed for two years.

His best game by a huge margin was the final

The game against port with the screamer and season high from anyone Intercept Marks was also very impressive but a bit of a dead rubber from memory? which Laverde also took advantage of

I feel like he rises to big moments and its motivation within that he battles with. I think that comes from mental issues

He looks alot bigger than 192 and far heavier than 90 kegs when at training up against the rest of the group

Now that Ridleys come on its finding a role where both can use their best asset of intercepting and kicking. I think Ridley hurt him as much as any

He only played 5 games and it was the last one against Port where he looked very good. The two games leading in where decent. Not outstanding. He would have had 8 or 9 far more superior games in 2019 than the other 2018 games which was my point. He was very good in 2019 and had not regressed for two years.

His Richmond game was excellent directly preceding the Port game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His Richmond game was excellent directly preceding the Port game.
I am not going to argue over 1 game being excellent or very good or just good. So 2 excellent games. My point still is he had 9 plus very good games in 2019 so he did not regress from 2018.

I am not going to argue over 1 game being excellent or very good or just good. So 2 excellent games. My point still is he had 9 plus very good games in 2019 so he did not regress from 2018.

Nah, lets argue over one game. What else have we got to argue over now the draft is done? :p

Think he and Ridley will be best played as those rebounding medium defender types, Francis should be able to play on someone like a DeGoey type but was being asked to play on genuine KPPs which he struggled on.

He's very good by foot, and aggressive in the air. Let him play on guys that allow him to attack the footy and rebound by foot. Similar with Ridley.

Long-term I think BZT is the most impacted by Reid + Brand coming in, as he really needed to be a FB or CHB to have a role.

Redman - Brand - <insert small defender>
Francis - Reid - Ridley

That's a backline that has a good mix of size, with most of those guys being reasonable intercept players, mobile, and good by foot.

We may not miss the run of McKenna and Saad if we've got an array of guys back there that can rebound with their kicking.

West Coast's backline basically doesn't bother running it out, they just intercept mark then move it by foot up to their wingers / half-forwards.

Think he and Ridley will be best played as those rebounding medium defender types, Francis should be able to play on someone like a DeGoey type but was being asked to play on genuine KPPs which he struggled on.

He's very good by foot, and aggressive in the air. Let him play on guys that allow him to attack the footy and rebound by foot. Similar with Ridley.

Long-term I think BZT is the most impacted by Reid + Brand coming in, as he really needed to be a FB or CHB to have a role.

Redman - Brand - <insert small defender>
Francis - Reid - Ridley

That's a backline that has a good mix of size, with most of those guys being reasonable intercept players, mobile, and good by foot.

We may not miss the run of McKenna and Saad if we've got an array of guys back there that can rebound with their kicking.

West Coast's backline basically doesn't bother running it out, they just intercept mark then move it by foot up to their wingers / half-forwards.

Like this... agree

Have a feeling his go home factor is still there even though hes contracted for 2 more

Hes in a position where hes shown enough that hed be guaranteed solid money for another 4 years minimum at an AFL club whether ours or a SA team

Just whether he wants to take his game to 2 levels up and get paid really good coin. I think thats a big mental hurdle for him now and not talent impacted

I think he will develop into a quality 2nd tall/big defender but is also suited to those explosive mid/forward with low centre of gravity

Id like to see the club give him far more kick in duties he has the ability to hit targets like Lewis Jetta through the zone defense and across the body kicks that are unexpecting

Cant see how hed lack too much against guys like Darling, Riewoldt, Gunston, Mihocek, J.Cameron

But also take guys like Dusty, Danger, Rohan, Petracca, Dangerfield, Degoey, M.Wallis, Fyfe when they go deep

Hes no shorter than Gardiner, Grimes, Kolo, Harry T and probably has weight on his side

He probably needs to buy into being a better one vs one defender and i cant see why he cant be very good at this whilst still getting his IPs he has the attributes with speed, strength, size. Similar to say a Maynard plays now but bigger

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back