Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think we should be looking to set up

Reid and Laverde on 2 keys
Ridley and francis hbf/ intercepting
Hind, Redman, Hep and now Kelly rotating. Think we could see Redman push up at time too.
im a fan of Franga though. Not good one on one on the key forwards but a damn smart footballer

He was excellent first half of the year. He was sent forward because the other backs can't go forward.

We start fresh again next year and all spots are up for grabs. Hes from the same draft as Parish, but missed a lot more football. He clearly has lots of tricks. He clearly has mental health battles, but he'll get better and better at dealing with those as he matures and he's not being forces to isolate in a pandemic.

If hes struggling mentally you can see him unsure about himself, he still flies for the marks, but doesn't grab them as cleanly. He still has a penetrating kick, but he will shank the occasional kickas he over thinks it.

I think if you show him enough faith he'll be a super star.

He doesn't need to bulk up he needs to cut weight, working on agility and endurance. He is best served as an interceptor. I'd also like him to spend time up forward because I'd really like to have a genuine swing man in our side, not someone who can "do it in a pinch".

Also, because of difficulties and injuries he's trade value is so low compared to talent right now. We have three retirements and 2 delistings already, wirh one FA coming in. We have 4 spots on the list coming into this draft. Probably another one or two. That is still a 10% turnover of the list.

Only way I'd trade him is if he asked.

I don't think he's done too bad up forward given how little exposure he's had there. Even if he's not a star I think it's really handy having someone like him around the place who can play forward as well as fill a number of roles in defense.

What's the plan with him? I don't see him ever becoming a 35-40+ goal forward which is what we need him to be.
He kicked 2 against Bulldogs, but went goalless vs Sydney, Gold Coast, Collingwood and the EF. Not exactly filling me with confidence.

He's a defender and nothing about his form changes my mind. I can see him request a trade if we can't fit him in the backline.

There’ll be injuries but I think Kelly probably tips him out of the side.
I think it confirms him as a forward next year honestly. From the final we see Cutler and Gleeson go out with Kelly and Hind replace them as far as the back 7 go

What's the plan with him? I don't see him ever becoming a 35-40+ goal forward which is what we need him to be.
He kicked 2 against Bulldogs, but went goalless vs Sydney, Gold Coast, Collingwood and the EF. Not exactly filling me with confidence.

He's a defender and nothing about his form changes my mind. I can see him request a trade if we can't fit him in the backline.
He wasn’t set up for success to be a forward this year. The whole offseason he was training with the backline, and then got swung forward to fill a gap, Rutten said as much in a interview not long ago. He seems to be a confidence player, if he boots a bag he might explode. Worth holding onto as he’s worth peanuts atm

Hear me out...

If Aaron had a HUGE preseason, improved his tank a lot, could we play him on a wing?
Elite contested/Intercept mark. Elite kick (half of the time), and would help us out a lot defensively. He and Redman could rotate on a Wing.
The size and skill on our wings With Langford, Cox, Redman and Francis playing there would be Immense, and help us trap the ball in our forward half.

Hear me out...

If Aaron had a HUGE preseason, improved his tank a lot, could we play him on a wing?
Elite contested/Intercept mark. Elite kick (half of the time), and would help us out a lot defensively. He and Redman could rotate on a Wing.
The size and skill on our wings With Langford, Cox, Redman and Francis playing there would be Immense, and help us trap the ball in our forward half.
The 8 millionth post starting with "If Francis builds his tank"...

I think there's a role for him going forward but he's never going to be a match winner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hear me out...

No, don't think so. I don't think his tank would get to the level required. Also, he would have to overtake those you mentioned for that wing position.

Hear me out...

He's not managed to get the tank to play as a mobile CHF / CHB, let alone a true Wing.

That's not just a HUGE preseason away.

After a full pre season training with the forwards im confident he can be a 25-30 goal forward. Its all we need from him at this stage. Wright, Jones, Tippa and Stringer are good for 30 give or take as well. Not unreasonable to say they should aim for 150 goals between the 5 of them. Thats 3 Ben Kings people

Hear me out...

To be fair, he's from the same year as Parish and he only just got his tank sorted even coming from a midfield background. That said, it's just not the player he looks to be. I think he will keep improving and find his way back into defence at some point despite our spin doctoring

If you watch his last few games forward this season, he was doing all the 1%'s really well, blocking, shepherding, knock ons etc...We all know he has a beautiful kick and he can use that to his advantage more up forward, I think this time next year we'll look back and see that it was a good move. One day it's all going to click for him and it's going to be a thing of beauty.

Going to go out on a limb with one proviso and that is no injuries.
Will make it as a leading forward.
It’s his best shot.

Unluckily for him the emergence of Ridley and then Laverde has seen his opportunities to play in defence significantly diminished.

Up forward will be interesting. He actually did alright taking marks up forward but didn't make the most of his opportunities through kicking goals. In fact his goal kicking accuracy both from set shots and snaps was terrible.
I guess the question is will he be able to improve that if they give him a preseason forward?
He also faded in and out of games a lot up forward (tended to be better in first halfs) which personally i attributed to work rate which has always been a weakness of his.

I see the value in giving it a go. He doesn't really offer anything down back that we don't already have with Ridley and Laverde and he's not tall enough to complement them as you really need to pair them up with a taller defender eg Stewart/Reid (eventually).

At least I could see Jones, Wright and Francis making sense. Jones will roam further up the field with his bigger tank, Wright can hang around the 50 with his long kicking and Francis might do well closer to goal. Francis does have some pace so could be dangerous against some of the bigger slower defenders.

Up forward will be interesting. He actually did alright taking marks up forward but didn't make the most of his opportunities through kicking goals. In fact his goal kicking accuracy both from set shots and snaps was terrible.
I guess the question is will he be able to improve that if they give him a preseason forward?
He also faded in and out of games a lot up forward (tended to be better in first halfs) which personally i attributed to work rate which has always been a weakness of his.

I see the value in giving it a go. He doesn't really offer anything down back that we don't already have with Ridley and Laverde and he's not tall enough to complement them as you really need to pair them up with a taller defender eg Stewart/Reid (eventually).

At least I could see Jones, Wright and Francis making sense. Jones will roam further up the field with his bigger tank, Wright can hang around the 50 with his long kicking and Francis might do well closer to goal. Francis does have some pace so could be dangerous against some of the bigger slower defenders.

I also recall him getting his hands to a number of balls but not quite holding the mark.

Fix up the marking (we know he's capable of being a very good mark) and kick straight and he'll be capable enough. His kicking i50 can also be very good, and I like Wright playing deeper with a little more space with a guy like Jones capable of getting his defender out of the way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back