Player Watch #11: Max Gawn (C) – 6 x All-Australian, 2 x Best & Fairest, AFLCA Champion Player and Premiership Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Even when he won the AFLCA award in 2018 he was eight votes off the Brownlow winner though. It’s a question of whether he’s able to have more impact around the ground this year with Jackson in the ruck, which should get him more votes.

Yep, if the Gawn/Jackson duo continues for the whole year he's just going to tear teams apart around the ground week in, week out. The big contested marks catch the eye.

Even when he won the AFLCA award in 2018 he was eight votes off the Brownlow winner though. It’s a question of whether he’s able to have more impact around the ground this year with Jackson in the ruck, which should get him more votes.
Leading the coaches votes again too.

Max should now be able to hit his midfielders with his eyes closed with his taps by now, why hasn't he progressed in this aspect of his play?
It doesn't look like he has much of a connection with any of the midfielders.
He's even doing taps behind his head to opposition players now, his ruckwork seems to have gone backwards.
I don't mind seeing him grab it out of the ruck and kick it though.

Last edited:
Max should now be able to hit his midfielders with his eyes closed with his taps by now, why hasn't he progressed in this aspect of his play?
It doesn't look like to has much of a connection with any of the midfielders.
He's even doing taps behind his head to opposition players now, his ruckwork seems to have gone backwards.
I don't mind seeing him grab it out of the ruck and kick it though.
He's better off just trying to belt if forward everytime. We'd have more chance of winning a stoppage than what we do now.

He's better off just trying to belt if forward everytime. We'd have more chance of winning a stoppage than what we do now.
I'd be inclined to agree with this. What do they practice at training though? He's had 3 years with these mids and there is still no relaible system for the hit outs. I'm starting to think Greg Stafford is the link here, he was the ruck coach and now the forward coach and both these areas of our game are not working.

I've been saying for years Gawns ruck work is overrated. He's never been a dominant ruck in terms of dangerous clearances. That dogs game in 18 is the only time I can remember stoppages being a huge weapon for us.
What's the answer? Jackson in ruck predominantly and Gawn up forward replacing Brown? Or maybe down back behind the ball allowing Lever or May to be more loose? Jackson looks like he could be running out of gas though but he'd give us literally another mid around the ball.

I've been saying for years Gawns ruck work is overrated. He's never been a dominant ruck in terms of dangerous clearances. That dogs game in 18 is the only time I can remember stoppages being a huge weapon for us.

Agree with this.

His work around the ground is the biggest factor in his ability as a player at the moment.

His ruckwork was better around stoppages when he was a bit heavier & had more strength, now he's slimmed down to be great around the ground his ruckwork has dropped off a bit.

Agree with this.

His work around the ground is the biggest factor in his ability as a player at the moment.

His ruckwork was better around stoppages when he was a bit heavier & had more strength, now he's slimmed down to be great around the ground his ruckwork has dropped off a bit.
He should either grab it out of the ruck and kick it forward or belt the s**t out of the ball to CHF from centre bounces. No worse than the dumb Hollywood s**t that oppo mids read off of the hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the answer? Jackson in ruck predominantly and Gawn up forward replacing Brown? Or maybe down back behind the ball allowing Lever or May to be more loose? Jackson looks like he could be running out of gas though but he'd give us literally another mid around the ball.

Increasing Jackson's ruck time is obviously the long-term solution but yeah, he's slowing down and needs a rest so it won't work just now.

Prefer seeing Gawn down back more than up forward. Freeing up May and Lever is critical to our game.

Gawn already goes down back we can't have Lever and Gawn playing on nobody as a starting point. maybe just maybe get gawn to tap it 12 3 6 9 fuvk the rest of the bullshit our mids only have to go to 4 spots and work off that. we already are willing to lose it in the contest to set up around the ground. * the thumping s**t or hitting it out in the open. KISS

Gawn already goes down back we can't have Lever and Gawn playing on nobody as a starting point. maybe just maybe get gawn to tap it 12 3 6 9 fuvk the rest of the bullshit our mids only have to go to 4 spots and work off that. we already are willing to lose it in the contest to set up around the ground. fu** the thumping sh*t or hitting it out in the open. KISS
This is basic ruckwork that hasn't improved in the last 3 years, why not? Do they not do these basic things at training, are the mids not involved in ruck drills, does Max think he's too good to be coached?

5 goals as the #1 ruck in a preliminary final.

Absolutely took the piss.

Snap on the run, running goal from 50, set shots, snap from a take out of the ruck on the boundary...

Geelong can count themselves unlucky in this respect.

God status.

Definitely never saw anything like this performance before. Each goal more ridiculous than the one before.

Shout out to the guy who slammed his beer and spiked the cup after the most absurd of them all- the snap out of the ruck.

The only ruck games I have seen that rival that is that legendary Gawn v Goldstein match in Tassie circa 2016. But that was off the chain. In a prelim too. Wow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back