Player Watch #11 Max Gawn - 3 Time All Australian

TheCount

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Scully was, it took him nearly 7 years to develop his footy skills. He was like the big kid who dominates the 18s with his size except he did it with fitness.

From the first season he played with us I thought he was overrated.
Yeah, it’s a bit of an indictment on him that until like last season, his best game of his career was still that game against the Dogs where he went nuts in the last

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ABray10

Team Captain
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Scully was, it took him nearly 7 years to develop his footy skills. He was like the big kid who dominates the 18s with his size except he did it with fitness.

From the first season he played with us I thought he was overrated.
I seem to remember him having a degenerative knee or something like that from his second season. Probably slowed his development a lot, since he came into the AFL with his only real weapon being his running capability.

Topkent

Premium Platinum
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I seem to remember him having a degenerative knee or something like that from his second season. Probably slowed his development a lot, since he came into the AFL with his only real weapon being his running capability.
His kicking was terrible, he couldn't win clearances and doesn't mark the footy. He was an awesome runner and had decent vision by hand for a first year player but hid upside was always minimal. Hand on heart I thought James Harmes had more upside after his first few games than Scully.

Topkent

Premium Platinum
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
******* bigfooty geniuses everywhere! All you blokes need is a good agent to get you an in into an AFL club and you’ll revolutionise recruiting forever!

Scully was the concensus number 1 pick.
Righto and you base your opinion solely on what others think unable to form your own right?

Scully was the consensus number 1 because football departments are way too scared to take risks with those picks. The number 1 pick has won a club BNF in about 15 of 200 seasons. There's never a standout player just like there isn't a consensus best player in the comp every year.

schmuttt

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
West Ham United
Gotta love these harry hindsight posts

Who gives a s**t? If you want to debate pointless stuff from 8 years ago take it to PMs

stretcharmstrong

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2009
Australia
AFL Club
Melbourne
Righto and you base your opinion solely on what others think unable to form your own right?

Scully was the consensus number 1 because football departments are way too scared to take risks with those picks. The number 1 pick has won a club BNF in about 15 of 200 seasons. There's never a standout player just like there isn't a consensus best player in the comp every year.
It’s just that I’m inclined in most cases to (a) acknowledge that others know much more than me about most things and (b) understand that others have more evidence/information available to them than me to form judgements.

For example, professional recruiters who literally spend their 40+ hours per week trying to determine who to take with various picks.

Topkent

Premium Platinum
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
It’s just that I’m inclined in most cases to (a) acknowledge that others know much more than me about most things and (b) understand that others have more evidence/information available to them than me to form judgements.

For example, professional recruiters who literally spend their 40+ hours per week trying to determine who to take with various picks.
Pretty certain all recruiters are full time not part time, when was the last time the number 1 pick was the best player? There's almost nothing between the top 20 half the time but for the no 1 pick they take the safe option.

LeverPuller

BigFooty Tanker
Jun 23, 2011
Q49, Olympic Stand
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Newcastle United Seattle Seahawks
Pretty certain all recruiters are full time not part time, when was the last time the number 1 pick was the best player? There's almost nothing between the top 20 half the time but for the no 1 pick they take the safe option.
Outright best is Nick Riewoldt but you aren’t going to be able to anticipate every aspect of player development before they are in the front door.

That said, although he isn’t #1 in his draft (behind Macrae) Whitfield is definitely the second best player. Only Viney is comparable.

I think there are certain benchmarks you want out of players at certain picks in terms of games and standard. The problem is the KPF thing, where clubs will reach massively for sub standard key forwards - see McCartin and Boyd, and to a lesser extent Patton.

schmuttt

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
West Ham United
That said, although he isn’t #1 in his draft (behind Macrae) Whitfield is definitely the second best player. Only Viney is comparable.
Grundy and Daniher are same draft as Whitfield, he’d be lucky to crack the best 4 players from that draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Topkent

Premium Platinum
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Outright best is Nick Riewoldt but you aren’t going to be able to anticipate every aspect of player development before they are in the front door.

I think there are certain benchmarks you want out of players at certain picks in terms of games and standard. The problem is the KPF thing, where clubs will reach massively for sub standard key forwards - see McCartin and Boyd, and to a lesser extent Patton.
Whitfield isn't definently the 2nd best player at all.

Wines Vlastuin Daniher Grundy are all arguably up there. You also picked what looks like the worst draft in history.

Either way you have named 2 players in 25 years of drafting. The number 1 pick is the most over rated piece of s**t in the history off all sports.

LeverPuller

BigFooty Tanker
Jun 23, 2011
Q49, Olympic Stand
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Newcastle United Seattle Seahawks
Whitfield isn't definently the 2nd best player at all.

Wines Vlastuin Daniher Grundy are all arguably up there. You also picked what looks like the worst draft in history.

Either way you have named 2 players in 25 years of drafting. The number 1 pick is the most over rated piece of s**t in the history off all sports.
He’s better than Wines and Vlastuin. Grundy is a good point.

Hard to include father-son picks - they are nearly impossible to poach so criticising clubs for not picking them at 1 is tough.

The other thing though is you are laying into recruiters for not having a crystal ball...the question should always be ‘did this player deliver on the potential that saw them go as #1?’ Now that does give you grounds to lay into clubs for player development etc

Topkent

Premium Platinum
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
He’s better than Wines and Vlastuin. Grundy is a good point.

Hard to include father-son picks - they are nearly impossible to poach so criticising clubs for not picking them at 1 is tough.

The other thing though is you are laying into recruiters for not having a crystal ball...the question should always be ‘did this player deliver on the potential that saw them go as #1?’ Now that does give you grounds to lay into clubs for player development etc
Look I half agree with you, the only way to truly know would be if a good side somehow traded for the number 1 pick, often the no 1 has gone to a club in disarray so hasn't been developed well, natanui went to a well run club and has become a pretty good player.

Your likely to find good players in the top 10 no doubt, but it's far overrated the difference in quality between player 1-10

00Stinger

Duel Group 1 winner
May 8, 2007
@ HOME
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool & San Francisco 49ers
Whitfield?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Top Bottom