Player Watch #11: Max Gawn (C) – 6 x All-Australian, 2 x Best & Fairest, AFLCA Champion Player and Premiership Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

He's only been at the club for 3 years. A body like that takes time to grow into, and there is bound to be some teething problems.

Still hang on to him. Long way to go yet. 208cm ruckmen don't come along too often.
Evans on the other hand would be easily replaced.

If he can't start getting a few games this year then maybe. Ruckmen develop differently to other players. Sure some are superstars from the beginning but most take until at least the age of 24 to really come into their own. We had Jamar for years without much of a peep and he did eventually come good. I'm willing to be patient with Gawn, especially considering we don't have much variety when it comes to ruckmen.

You don't think that the constant leg issues over the past 3 yrs are anything to worry about?

I worry about scar tissue, his knees popping again because once they go, they're never the same, that sort of thing.

The problem for me is his knees too. If he does it again that will probably be it for him...look at the problems Max Bailey has had.

It just makes me wonder which direction the club will take if this year turns out to be another write off for him. Neeld has a no nonsense way about him, and if you're going to be on the list for 3 yrs and only show a glimpse here and there of what you can do but spend the majority on the side lines, I'd think He'd perhaps lose patients with the situation.

It would be a shame if that were to happen, I just wish the guy would catch a break and get back on the park.

No Puns about the use of 'break' either. :p

It just makes me wonder which direction the club will take if this year turns out to be another write off for him. Neeld has a no nonsense way about him, and if you're going to be on the list for 3 yrs and only show a glimpse here and there of what you can do but spend the majority on the side lines, I'd think He'd perhaps lose patients with the situation.

It would be a shame if that were to happen, I just wish the guy would catch a break and get back on the park.

No Puns about the use of 'break' either. :p
Are you familiar with the developmental trends of ruckmen? Gawn sitting on the list and developing has absolutely nothing to do with any "no nonsense" policies that Neeld might have.

I see where you are coming from SM but, like others have said, Gawn is a different case being a ruckman. There is still plenty of development left in him and he is still young.

However, if he were to come back from this injury but go down with another serious one after that you would have to seriously question his durability. I don't have a great deal of faith in Spencer or Fitzpatrick as potential starting ruckmen down the track so I'd like to persist with Big Max as much as we can.

You don't think that the constant leg issues over the past 3 yrs are anything to worry about?

I worry about scar tissue, his knees popping again because once they go, they're never the same, that sort of thing.
Nope.

It just takes a long long time for the little muscles and all the other stabilizing bits and pieces to build up enough strength to allow guys that tall and heavy to do what they need to do in AFL.

It is far and away the most demanding sport in the world for the really big guys. Humans are just not meant to be that big and the increase in stress on knees in particular is more than linear when you start getting over 200cm.

I would have no problem extending max's contract until the end of 2015, even if he didn't play a single game this year.

I've said this before on here, it's really difficult to actually appreciate and understand how much time hell need. You need to pretty much forget about him. Don't have any expectations, and just be content that if he ever gets enough strength into those legs to support him, we will have a weapon.

Until then, I'm sure he's not costing us much, and I'm sure that if he isn't playing games he won't be expecting much from the club.

I certainly think he is worth holding onto. Injuries are a big concern but I think with the conservative approach the medico team have taken with his rehabilitation, he should be almost as good as new. He wasn't needed to come back into the team quickly so there was no pressure. Also I think he is a loved figure around the club; a positive guy who doesn't mind a laugh. Even when he is not on the field he is having some sort of impact at the club.

Plus, if he was shafted there would be no more 'Gawn in 60 Seconds'!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Evans was already on the senior list - he didn't replace Gawn.

Also, I don't think Gawn has exacerbated his current injury - he just won't be ready for another 10 weeks so why not free up a spot.

That all said, I am no longer a fan of the young project ruck man, who takes up a spot for 7 years whilst he develops.

Hey all,

Now that Evans has been promoted to the senior List, I've started to question whether or not Max is worth hanging on to. Don't get me wrong, I know the guy is a quality ruckman, and having him fit and firing would be fantastic for us, but he's spending more time out of the game than he'll wind up playing, and we're paying him to do so. every year it's the same thing - Max is firing, max is killing it, max is injured, max is on the LTI list. I know Evans has had injury concerns, but as it stands, he seems to be over it, where as Max just seems to be an injury magnet.

Anyway, many of you may think what I've said is stupid, many may agree to one extent or another, either way, post your thoughts without out being disrespectful, I would really like to know where everyones head is at regarding this issue.

Thanks.

The only reason Gawn's on the LTI list is that the coaching team weren't sure if he'd be ready for round 1.

They like Magner and this would give them the opportunity to promote him.

Expect Gawn to play the majority of the season if all goes well.

Evans was already on the senior list - he didn't replace Gawn.

Also, I don't think Gawn has exacerbated his current injury - he just won't be ready for another 10 weeks so why not free up a spot.

That all said, I am no longer a fan of the young project ruck man, who takes up a spot for 7 years whilst he develops.
I think seven years is too long. But rucks are almost automatically project players.
Cox - Rookie
Sandi - Rookie
Jacobs - had to be traded
Mumford - had to be traded
Giles - was delisted by Port, played 2nds
Leuey - still coming on
Smith - Still coming on
HMac - Proven, but took 2 years to get a game
Goldstein - Proven, but took 2 years to get a game
Hale - Proven, didn't get a game til 2nd season
Jamar - Rookie
Kreuzer - I'd argue still unproven
Jolly - had to be traded to Sydney (although I thought he was good enough; Daniher was a silly)
Bellchambers - Only really proved himself last year
Ryder - still inconsistent
Hille - Didn't prove himself til the last few years due to injury
McEvoy - Only the last couple of years despite kicking around for ages
Minson - Only the last couple of years despite kicking around for ages

I think a ruck is generally best if they're getting regular games by their 3rd or 4th year. They seem to be the most dominant ones.

Hey all,

Now that Evans has been promoted to the senior List, I've started to question whether or not Max is worth hanging on to. Don't get me wrong, I know the guy is a quality ruckman, and having him fit and firing would be fantastic for us, but he's spending more time out of the game than he'll wind up playing, and we're paying him to do so. every year it's the same thing - Max is firing, max is killing it, max is injured, max is on the LTI list. I know Evans has had injury concerns, but as it stands, he seems to be over it, where as Max just seems to be an injury magnet.

Anyway, many of you may think what I've said is stupid, many may agree to one extent or another, either way, post your thoughts without out being disrespectful, I would really like to know where everyones head is at regarding this issue.

Thanks.

Definitely worth keeping and persisting with until the end of 2014 as a minimum. Fair enough to raise the point about his spot on the list but ask yourself whose spot is he taking up? Is there a better option out there either at VFL, WAFL, SANFL level. He is a better option than a skinny 17 yr old playing TAC level. Until there is a better option to draft a player from outside the club or someone like Fitzy really improves, Gawn's spot on the list is safe. I am hoping he comes good as he showed some great promise in his 4 games played so far.

Definitely worth keeping and persisting with until the end of 2014 as a minimum. Fair enough to raise the point about his spot on the list but ask yourself whose spot is he taking up? Is there a better option out there either at VFL, WAFL, SANFL level. He is a better option than a skinny 17 yr old playing TAC level. Until there is a better option to draft a player from outside the club or someone like Fitzy really improves, Gawn's spot on the list is safe. I am hoping he comes good as he showed some great promise in his 4 games played so far.

I totally understand the development side of things, The fact he's a skyscraper, and I think that he will hopefully be a weapon for us, But Someone like Magner would be nice to have getting regular games. Don't get me wrong, I don't WANT to give max the flick, I was just thinking about the whole situation. Watched the Misson video just now and saw that Gawn is actually coming along well. As mentioned earlier by Striker and CFH, I too would have to re-evaluate his position on the playing list if he were to go down with another knee injury after he clears this hammy issue up.

I totally understand the development side of things, The fact he's a skyscraper, and I think that he will hopefully be a weapon for us, But Someone like Magner would be nice to have getting regular games. Don't get me wrong, I don't WANT to give max the flick, I was just thinking about the whole situation. Watched the Misson video just now and saw that Gawn is actually coming along well. As mentioned earlier by Striker and CFH, I too would have to re-evaluate his position on the playing list if he were to go down with another knee injury after he clears this hammy issue up.
I think the hammy has also been overblown a bit because they LTI'd him; seems like that was tactical more than anything else i.e. you could have a Magner on the list week 1 perhaps if need be.

I think the hammy has also been overblown a bit because they LTI'd him; seems like that was tactical more than anything else i.e. you could have a Magner on the list week 1 perhaps if need be.

This. They mentioned that they don't believe he will be on there any longer than the minimum 8 weeks unless his injury takes longer to heal or if it's worse than they first believed.

I would be very surprised if he wasn't upgraded next year if he keeps tracking the way he has been over the last 18 months. There are other blokes i would delist before delisting Gawn.

Gawn is only going to miss the first few rounds I'd heard. Pretty early to be making decisions on their future when he's still got a contract for antoher season. There is definately room for a good ruckman on our list (let's be honest, Jamar is close to the end) and the rest are only part timers.

In my opinion, if he can get fit enough to play a few games let his form make the decision. Remember 2 or so years ago there was a lot of other clubs chasing him, once/perhaps if he's fit he will be a force to be reckoned with.

care to share?

I don't want to start casting blokes aside before the season has started and happy to be proven wrong but for the record

Troy Davis is first to go IMO

Jetta, Struass, Evans all coming off injuries but will want to play regular footy this year.

Joel Mac will need Lynden Dunn type turn around to stay at the club

Fitz and Spencer will want to improve again

Gawn is only going to miss the first few rounds I'd heard. Pretty early to be making decisions on their future when he's still got a contract for antoher season. There is definately room for a good ruckman on our list (let's be honest, Jamar is close to the end) and the rest are only part timers.

In my opinion, if he can get fit enough to play a few games let his form make the decision. Remember 2 or so years ago there was a lot of other clubs chasing him, once/perhaps if he's fit he will be a force to be reckoned with.
Spencer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back