Player Watch #11: Max Gawn (C) – 6 x All-Australian, 2 x Best & Fairest, AFLCA Champion Player and Premiership Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel that we are at the point where performances last night aren't going to happen consistently all the time, but they're still appreciated the ones we get from here on

Had a few beers so maybe I'm being overly sappy here but that game on the weekend reminded how lucky we are to watch this campaigner. Best ruck arguably Ive ever seen, his ability to take control of games and be a match winner is something other rucks don't do.

Had a few beers so maybe I'm being overly sappy here but that game on the weekend reminded how lucky we are to watch this campaigner. Best ruck arguably Ive ever seen, his ability to take control of games and be a match winner is something other rucks don't do.
Was wondering why his 2009 thread got bumped hahaha.

But yep, he was outstanding and honestly, I'd have him level with–and nearly above–Cox at this stage. Would've been nice for him to jag another AA to put him ahead of Cox in total (six each), but he's certainly in the conversation of best rucks ever.

Different player to someone like Cox, but the way he's evolved from a lanky tap ruckman to an all-round colossus has been nothing short of outstanding.

Was wondering why his 2009 thread got bumped hahaha.

But yep, he was outstanding and honestly, I'd have him level with–and nearly above–Cox at this stage. Would've been nice for him to jag another AA to put him ahead of Cox in total (six each), but he's certainly in the conversation of best rucks ever.

Different player to someone like Cox, but the way he's evolved from a lanky tap ruckman to an all-round colossus has been nothing short of outstanding.
Cox was a better 'player' in that he was a genuine extra mid, Gawns the best at being able take control of a game with his marks and presence. He can single handedly stop momentum of another team when he's up and about.

Cox was a better 'player' in that he was a genuine extra mid, Gawns the best at being able take control of a game with his marks and presence. He can single handedly stop momentum of another team when he's up and about.
Listen to some of the knowledgeable media guys like Bartel talk about him elevates him further imo.

The disruptor that teams are coached to try and not kick the ball near him because of his aerial dominance. His aerobic capability for a big man is second to none as well. Plus it gets lost at how agile he actual is for a man his size

Clearly a great leader too

Yep. At his absolute best no other ruck comes close to the impact he has on the game.

It’s gonna be so funny when he gets the AA jacket again this year
Wouldnt have thought it possible earlier this year but the media bozos are talking it up and to be fair, he has been godlike these past few weeks

Clearly still the best ruck in the comp. Not too many rucks have been as influential to results as he is. Dean Cox and Simon Madden come to mind. He's in that elite company for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That knee injury in Round 2 might have been a huge blessing in disguise.

He was so banged up this time last year. Was sad to see not even get from contest to contest.

Seems like he's hitting form right when we need him to. Imagine if he pulls out another 2021 Prelim performance in this year's finals?

He was so banged up this time last year. Was sad to see not even get from contest to contest.

Seems like he's hitting form right when we need him to. Imagine if he pulls out another 2021 Prelim performance in this year's finals?

Imagine he kicks that running goal from 55 again in a final at the G. The members stand would fall down.

Remember the good ole days when you could spray a player without him crying and he'd respond....

Imagine if we had a coach with the stones to say "particularly with a pathetic effort from Gawn in ruck, I mean it was the most disgraceful display ive ever seen from a big fella"..... :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

So apparently Gawn was saying that Goody gave him a spray at half time against the Tigers, wasn't happy with his game at all.

So apparently Gawn was saying that Goody gave him a spray at half time against the Tigers, wasn't happy with his game at all.

Nice to know it still works, Max did have one or two weak contests in the first half so I can see where Goody was coming from.

Still reckon this wouldn't work on 90% of players these days, majority would crack the sads hard, got to be careful and pick your targets.

Nice to know it still works, Max did have one or two weak contests in the first half so I can where Goody was coming from.

Still reckon this wouldn't work on 90% of players these days, majority would crack the sads hard, got to be careful and pick your targets.
Definitely wouldn't work. Id imagine if he sprayed Trac he would probably post a tic Tok crying about it

Imagine he kicks that running goal from 55 again in a final at the G. The members stand would fall down.
"Takes out the driver and sets sail for home!"

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Is it Grundy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back