Player Watch #11: Max Gawn (C) – 6 x All-Australian, 2 x Best & Fairest, AFLCA Champion Player and Premiership Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it’s not good enough for a bloke in his 9th year. You can train as had as you want but if you’re missing more shots than you’re taking, you gotta change

I am not sure he misses more shots than he takes, that would be incredible. No one else in the league could miss a shot without actually having one first.

Yeah it’s not good enough for a bloke in his 9th year. You can train as had as you want but if you’re missing more shots than you’re taking, you gotta change
he is a ruckman for gods sake not a forward.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Equal 2nd in coaches votes after round 8.

LEADERBOARD
48 Nat Fyfe (Frem)
40 Max Gawn (Melb)
40 Jack Macrae (WB)
38 Tom Mitchell (Haw)
37 Trent Cotchin (Rich)
37 Patrick Cripps (Carl)
32 Jack Darling (WC)
32 Rory Laird (Adel)
31 Dustin Martin (Rich)
31 Steele Sidebottom (Coll)

Reckon he has hit the pendles level of so good all the time that how well he is going doesn't rate a mention.

Reckon he has hit the pendles level of so good all the time that how well he is going doesn't rate a mention.
Yep. I couldn't call any of his recent performances 'exceptional', but only because they're all so good.

Be really interesting to try and gauge Brownlow votes from our wins thus far... Are we finally falling into the category of having so many players who could/should have polled that any individual glory in coming years is unlikely?

In 2018, it's not beyond belief that Oliver, Gawn, Hogan, TMac, Braysh, Jonesy, Hibberd, OMac, Harmes, Tyson have all polled at some stage. And I'm sure I'm missing others.

Equal 2nd in coaches votes after round 8.

LEADERBOARD
48 Nat Fyfe (Frem)
40 Max Gawn (Melb)
40 Jack Macrae (WB)
38 Tom Mitchell (Haw)
37 Trent Cotchin (Rich)
37 Patrick Cripps (Carl)
32 Jack Darling (WC)
32 Rory Laird (Adel)
31 Dustin Martin (Rich)
31 Steele Sidebottom (Coll)
Having a cracking year.

Does not get beat

We need the MCG/cheer squad to erupt with this everytime max takes a hanger, or is on a victory lap, or coming to the interchange bench .

Be really interesting to try and gauge Brownlow votes from our wins thus far... Are we finally falling into the category of having so many players who could/should have polled that any individual glory in coming years is unlikely?

In 2018, it's not beyond belief that Oliver, Gawn, Hogan, TMac, Braysh, Jonesy, Hibberd, OMac, Harmes, Tyson have all polled at some stage. And I'm sure I'm missing others.
There’s no way OMac has polled. Doubt Hibberd has either. And unless the umps loved Tyson’s game v North, there’s no way he hits the board

Lol, so we went straight from nobody getting a vote because we're s**t into nobody getting a vote because we're good?

We're still nowhere near a flag, you'd think we're in prime position for an Oliver or even Gawn Brownlow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol, so we went straight from nobody getting a vote because we're s**t into nobody getting a vote because we're good?

We're still nowhere near a flag, you'd think we're in prime position for an Oliver or even Gawn Brownlow.

Who said anything about being near a flag? It's just that while we're starting to win more games, and therefore poll more votes, the spread among our players is quite high.

So far, in the AFLCA votes, our players are as follows:

Max Gawn 40
Clayton Oliver 22
Jesse Hogan 21
Nathan Jones 10
Tom McDonald 9
Christian Petracca 8
Angus Brayshaw 8
Christian Salem 8
James Harmes 6
Jeff Garlett 5
Jake Melksham 4
Michael Hibberd 3
Neville Jetta 2
Dean Kent 2
Oscar McDonald 2
Jordan Lewis 1

With Jack Viney to come in, TMac only just back, Petracca quiet the last month but capable of break out games, Brayshaw the opposite of that, it is tough to see an MFC player winning a Brownlow in the next 3 years. Especially as it's almost exclusively a midfielder's award, and very tough traditionally for ruckmen and KPF like Max and Jesse.

There’s no way OMac has polled. Doubt Hibberd has either. And unless the umps loved Tyson’s game v North, there’s no way he hits the board

Hibberd vs. St Kilda polls IMO, but looking at the AFLCA votes maybe I simply did rate Tyson's game vs. North too highly. And the romanticism of OMac polling a vote is fair too.

But I did leave Salem & Petracca off the list, and they're doing alright in that comp...

We need the MCG/cheer squad to erupt with this everytime max takes a hanger, or is on a victory lap, or coming to the interchange bench .

I want to see him turn to the crowd after missing another point blank shot and scream “are you not entertained?”

Somehow he's managed to top his incredible 2016 thus far. Teams might stop bothering to play a ruck and put in a tagger instead. Flogging everyone including some decent rucks in Jacobs, Kreuzer, Goldstein and SME.

In 2016 he lost a few ruck battles and other ruckman matched him on occasions. So far this year he's beaten his opponent every contest and by a fair margin too.

Last edited:
Somehow he's managed to top his incredible 2016 thus far. Teams might stop bothering to play a ruck and put in a tagger instead. Flogging everyone including some decent rucks in Jacobs, Kreuzer, Goldstein and SME.
Yup, and it's been a pretty decent year for rucks as well. Been so many decent battles, so to rock up and dominate every weekend is a testament to his ability. His work rate around the ball is far more elite by his standards this year too, so glad to see how noticeable it is his fitness in preseason has worked for him. Looks very nimble for his size.

I think the comp has three top form rucks at the moment, Gawn. Nic Nat, who has some questions hanging over him, but his competitiveness helps him, and Grundy who's started the year very well. Martin was kinda there early, but just dropped off a little

QB will be a very enticing contest between gawn and grundy

Absolute gun. Best ruck in the league. Though if these WCE supporters I'm talking with on main board are to be believed NN is still number 1 o_O

Absolute gun. Best ruck in the league. Though if these WCE supporters I'm talking with on main board are to be believed NN is still number 1 o_O

They have vastly different strengths. For instance, Nic Nat has nowhere near the marking capability as Gawn, Gawn has nowhere near the pace and agility in the contest.

They have vastly different strengths. For instance, Nic Nat has nowhere near the marking capability as Gawn, Gawn has nowhere near the pace and agility in the contest.
Oh I've definitely acknowledged that side of things. And the fact Grundy too had different strengths. Weirdly though they think NN is a better tap ruck than Gawn too.

Both are clearly the best 'tap' rucks in the comp. Grundy is a bit between Gawn and NN with his strengths, for me Martin is still the best 'midfield' style ruck in the comp but doesn't get talked about because he plays for the Lions.

Oh I've definitely acknowledged that side of things. And the fact Grundy too had different strengths. Weirdly though they think NN is a better tap ruck than Gawn too.

Yeah, nah.

Selling Gawn a bit short there. Guy has been pretty damn nimble this season, although he's not going to match Naitanui for explosiveness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back