Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting commentary.
He is actually averaging slightly more disposals than last year with less midfield time. More marks (more inside 50, contested marks down). Only averaging 0.13 less goals (with midfielders taking up a lot more scoring opportunities). Tackles however are well down (noting a small part due to less midfield time). 1 %ers up. Inside 50 down but spending more time inside 50 so makes sense.

Game time % doesn’t indicate much.

I think he could increase his defensive effort and decision making but I think it’s more the fact that he doesn’t have to do as much as we have needed him to previously. The team is playing as a much more cohesive unit and thus we don’t need him or a handful of others to drag us over the line.

Interesting commentary.
He is actually averaging slightly more disposals than last year with less midfield time. More marks (more inside 50, contested marks down). Only averaging 0.13 less goals (with midfielders taking up a lot more scoring opportunities). Tackles however are well down (noting a small part due to less midfield time). 1 %ers up. Inside 50 down but spending more time inside 50 so makes sense.

I think he could increase his defensive effort and decision making but I think it’s more the fact that he doesn’t have to do as much as we have needed him to previously. The team is playing as a much more cohesive unit and thus we don’t need him or a handful of others to drag us over the line.
And a different game plan as well

Interesting commentary.

My comment is more related to watching him rather than his stats.

He looks exhausted.
I wonder if he is recovering from a bad case of the dreaded C. I know it knocked me down for a while earlier this year even after the symptoms had passed.

My comment is more related to watching him rather than his stats.

He looks exhausted.
I wonder if he is recovering from a bad case of the dreaded C. I know it knocked me down for a while earlier this year even after the symptoms had passed.

Good observation, would explain a lot. He has it in bursts, but just to the naked eye is often not quite himself.

For a side ticking along nicely hard to have massive concerns, but come September we will need a fit and healthy Papley to win,

That and I enjoy Bedders bagging hayward constantly but never holding Papley to the same standard

I think he cooked his ankle 2 weeks ago and is playing on it injured.
Really having an impact on his pace and lateral movement.
I think he needs a rest but we need his leadership up forward.

Surely has to be carrying something. Isn't having the impact he could/should be having. I'd expected him to be flying given the form of our side, but he just seems a little off the pace.

Hopefully he can overcome whatever is restricting him, because he'd be a huge weapon in finals.

Surely has to be carrying something. Isn't having the impact he could/should be having. I'd expected him to be flying given the form of our side, but he just seems a little off the pace.

Hopefully he can overcome whatever is restricting him, because he'd be a huge weapon in finals.
He seemed to have hurt his shin area late in the Scumthorn game, he looked fairly uncomfortable for a fair bit of the last term.

I'm not sure we need all players going 100% as long as the team is getting it done. It's like all this talk about Dawkins is silly.

As long as the forward pressure is there it will turn for him.

Good observation, would explain a lot. He has it in bursts, but just to the naked eye is often not quite himself.

For a side ticking along nicely hard to have massive concerns, but come September we will need a fit and healthy Papley to win,

That and I enjoy Bedders bagging hayward constantly but never holding Papley to the same standard
When have i bagged Hayward lately , go back to the book !.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't replying to you , it was the King , we have friendly banter on here and the book . Is that okay !
I never said you were replying to me, this is a PUBLIC forum where you made a statement that I refuted, simple.

If you don't want others replying to your posts and want to keep your chats private, I suggest you do it via conversations and not forums.

Think Paps isn't far off it. His numbers are only slightly down on his regular output and he hasn't had the 2 or 3 big goal scoring games he usually has yet, which boost his scoreboard impact.

He's still chasing and impacting contests all while playing more in a new role. And funnily enough for a player often described as selfish, I reckon there were at least a couple of moments where he tried to force a handball to a teammate on Friday when he actually would have been better off having a ping himself.

He's not at his best, but he'll come good.

When have i bagged Hayward lately , go back to the book !.

V the suns you asked if Wayward was out there or was he sub
Anyway just stirring you.

We need both firing and they will.

My worry is paps looks hesitant and we are playing him injured thats all

I never said you were replying to me, this is a PUBLIC forum where you made a statement that I refuted, simple.

If you don't want others replying to your posts and want to keep your chats private, I suggest you do it via conversations and not forums.
Well thank you for that and i refute yours . Don't take it too serious Jewels , never said anyone can't , just saying it was banter .

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back