Player Watch #12 Angus Sheldrick

Remove this Banner Ad

A couple of local lads here in Perth do a podcast, where they interview WA sports personalities.

Here’s the interview with Angus, done way back in October.

Key takeaways:

1. Models his game on Angus Brayshaw & Ollie Wines.

2. Was a big Luke Hodge fan as a kid.

3. Doesn’t do flash haircuts & fluorescent boots. Is a black boots kinda guy.

4. Despite his hard nut style, he’s never suffered a significant concussion.

5. His mum worries about him when he plays footy!

Look out for the Corey Warner & Cal Sinclair interviews too.

A couple of local lads here in Perth do a podcast, where they interview WA sports personalities.

Here’s the interview with Angus, done way back in October.

Key takeaways:

1. Models his game on Angus Brayshaw & Ollie Wines.

2. Was a big Luke Hodge fan as a kid.

3. Doesn’t do flash haircuts & fluorescent boots. Is a black boots kinda guy.

4. Despite his hard nut style, he’s never suffered a significant concussion.

5. His mum worries about him when he plays footy!

Look out for the Corey Warner & Cal Sinclair interviews too.

Must say I liked point 3. Respect black boots kinda blokes. Nowadays they stand out for me.

hehe. Our mates at the Eagles are not so happy.

I started reading their forum from a few pages before they had their pick. It was like watching a slow-moving train crash. I just hope Chesser doesn't read it.

Understatement of the century. It was hilarious.

How dare none of you provide a link for the others.

It starts here: List Mgmt. - Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How dare none of you provide a link for the others.

It starts here: List Mgmt. - Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

West Coast fans' reactions to the Chesser selection really shows how lacking in intelligence they are as a collective fan-base. (This is not news to any Perthians who regularly have to sit through their booing - an opposition player sneezes, and it will be followed by a chorus of "BALLLL!!!!!")

Swans use a pick inside the top 20 on a player who nearly every pundit didn't have in the top 20, and the general consensus is that there must've been a reason we were keen on him, and in our recruiters we trust.

Eagles use a pick inside the top 20 on a player who nearly every pundit had inside the top 20, and even traded to get him, and the general consensus was their recruiters must've lost their goddamn minds.

I may hate them, but West Coast are an undeniably great club who do everything well (except player welfare where recreational drugs are concerned, apparently.) They've given their fans plenty of success during their time in the competition.

It's really ******* weird their fans go all-in on them at the drop of a hat. Trust your club FFS.

West Coast fans' reactions to the Chesser selection really shows how lacking in intelligence they are as a collective fan-base. (This is not news to any Perthians who regularly have to sit through their booing - an opposition player sneezes, and it will be followed by a chorus of "BALLLL!!!!!")

Swans use a pick inside the top 20 on a player who nearly every pundit didn't have in the top 20, and the general consensus is that there must've been a reason we were keen on him, and in our recruiters we trust.

Eagles use a pick inside the top 20 on a player who nearly every pundit had inside the top 20, and even traded to get him, and the general consensus was their recruiters must've lost their goddamn minds.

I may hate them, but West Coast are an undeniably great club who do everything well (except player welfare where recreational drugs are concerned, apparently.) They've given their fans plenty of success during their time in the competition.

It's really ******* weird their fans go all-in on them at the drop of a hat. Trust your club FFS.
I was following that thread live on draft night and I found them very disparaging towards their own club. Unbelievable!!
Hilarious if you support another club.:)

On the night I was a bit surprised we took Angus with our first pick but I thought it out that:
1) He was better than I thought he was. Later evidence suggested that is the case.
2) We may have rated someone else higher but lost them and he was next on the list. Still not sure about that. Who cares now anyway.
3) We may have got wind the the Cats were going to pick him up just after our first pick. The Cats aren't idiots. Bit of a reach but only a bit.
The next two made pretty good sense after picking up Gus. Each offering something slightly different but all competitors.
Rankine was left field for me but I didn't expect us to take a 4th unless it was Anderson.
What I love about my club is that even those who seriously disagreed with the choices made didn't implode like the Eagles fans.

On the night I was a bit surprised we took Angus with our first pick but I thought it out that:
1) He was better than I thought he was. Later evidence suggested that is the case.
2) We may have rated someone else higher but lost them and he was next on the list. Still not sure about that. Who cares now anyway.
3) We may have got wind the the Cats were going to pick him up just after our first pick. The Cats aren't idiots. Bit of a reach but only a bit.
The next two made pretty good sense after picking up Gus. Each offering something slightly different but all competitors.
Rankine was left field for me but I didn't expect us to take a 4th unless it was Anderson.
What I love about my club is that even those who seriously disagreed with the choices made didn't implode like the Eagles fans.
I agree. I think the Swans did not think he would make it to our second pick(34), especially with the Cats having 3 picks and lots of other clubs selecting mids.

1644236210566.png

I agree. I think the Swans did not think he would make it to our second pick(34), especially with the Cats having 3 picks and lots of other clubs selecting mids.

View attachment 1323766
Yes. The next few were inside mids too, or at least had inside cred.
From highlights I rated Angus higher than the other insiders except perhaps Johnson. I was surprised he slid to 21. Different players though.
I have a feeling we'll do OK with Gus.

Yes. The next few were inside mids too, or at least had inside cred.
From highlights I rated Angus higher than the other insiders except perhaps Johnson. I was surprised he slid to 21. Different players though.
I have a feeling we'll do OK with Gus.
I'm very happy with Gus. The more I read about him. The more I like!!
Johnson wanted to stay in WA too.

I am still a bit skeptical of going in on Angus so early, would still be happier if Chesser for example had slipped to us (less so if Brown had been picked like rumours are, we were expecting). But, I'm willing to see how the decision turns out, since the club obviously rates him and wanted to get him in before Geelong were rumoured to pounce. It probably wasn't improved (my mind) when we went another more inside mid next, though the next selections of a winger and Rankin placated me a bit.

It's probably moreso that Eagles fans are desperate to see their club in the window for a bit longer, with midfield replenishment I guess a key part of that in their minds. Maybe they've taken it as a longer term, more resigned state of where the club thinks they're at.

I am still a bit skeptical of going in on Angus so early, would still be happier if Chesser for example had slipped to us (less so if Brown had been picked like rumours are, we were expecting). But, I'm willing to see how the decision turns out, since the club obviously rates him and wanted to get him in before Geelong were rumoured to pounce. It probably wasn't improved (my mind) when we went another more inside mid next, though the next selections of a winger and Rankin placated me a bit.

It's probably moreso that Eagles fans are desperate to see their club in the window for a bit longer, with midfield replenishment I guess a key part of that in their minds. Maybe they've taken it as a longer term, more resigned state of where the club thinks they're at.

Their fans need to give up on their window for now. They're only going one way and they should at least be grateful their club landed a gun prospect to kickstart their next generation. But you can't fix delusion.

After having had a closer look ultimately I think it was an inspired choice. He reached peak in draft year was as hard as nails and outplayed the No 1 pick when opposed. Love it and hope my optimism comes to fruition.

Last edited:
My guess is that the club did a lot of research into him and really liked him as a player/person. So was happy to use an early pick rather than miss out.

It would be interesting to know which of the players already taken were top of our draft board. There were so many rumours before the draft about who were interested in.

Last edited:
My guess is that the club did a lot of research into him and really liked him as a player/person. So was happy to use an early pick rather than miss out.

It would be interesting to know which of the players already taken were top of our draft board. There were so many rumours before the draft about who were interested in.
I hope we never find out.
What DIDN'T happen is of no consequence, only what did. We have young men doing their best to make a long term career at our club and I'm sure everyone except a couple of grumpy old farts wishes them all the very best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back