Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Not usually a supercoach type but this fits my narrative so . . .

It's no coincidence that Jys 2 best games re: disposals/tackles/and points are also the only 2 games we haven't lost.

Hasn't been a great year for Jy but there are certainly great signs. I'm still hoping for a season 23/24 of dominance from TT, LDU, Jy et al.

1623724232266.png

Hasn't been a great year for Jy but there are certainly great signs.
Really?

I reckon he's having a great year. Averaging career highs in disposals (by a lot), tackles, inside 50s, clearances, effective disposals, all at the highest disposal efficiency of his career. Still just 23 and well on track to be an elite inside-outside mid. I reckon he'd be close to leading the Syd at this point of the year.

Really?

I reckon he's having a great year. Averaging career highs in disposals (by a lot), tackles, inside 50s, clearances, effective disposals, all at the highest disposal efficiency of his career. Still just 23 and well on track to be an elite inside-outside mid. I reckon he'd be close to leading the Syd at this point of the year.
Didn't mean to sound like he's having a bad year, vast difference between bad and great. Going by the eye test I haven't felt he's been that much more damaging despite the disposal increase. Yes he's still young and I'm bullish him LDU and TT are going to ALL be elite.

So, for the record, he's one of my favs and been good. As I pointed out very important in our win/draw even to the point they were arguably his 2 best games.

Could possibly hit the scoreboard more regularly too. Tracking very very well for a young in/out midfielder.

Didn't mean to sound like he's having a bad year, vast difference between bad and great. Going by the eye test I haven't felt he's been that much more damaging despite the disposal increase. Yes he's still young and I'm bullish him LDU and TT are going to ALL be elite.

So, for the record, he's one of my favs and been good. As I pointed out very important in our win/draw even to the point they were arguably his 2 best games.

Could possibly hit the scoreboard more regularly too. Tracking very very well for a young in/out midfielder.
Yeah, fair enough. I do disagree with your first couple of sentences there but see where you're coming from.

However, I absolutely agree with you on needing to hit the scoreboard more. In fact, I had the exact same thought on the weekend when I checked his stats and saw he's only kicked one for the year. It would take his game to another level if he does.

Yeah, fair enough. I do disagree with your first couple of sentences there but see where you're coming from.

However, I absolutely agree with you on needing to hit the scoreboard more. In fact, I had the exact same thought on the weekend when I checked his stats and saw he's only kicked one for the year. It would take his game to another level if he does.
If I'm honest he's a victim of my super high expectations on him. I know he can be as good as any young midfielder in the league. Not that I expect him to reach it every game but . . .

The OOF is exactly the type of error that the really good players (and sides) just don’t make.

Having said that, he’s playing his guts out against bigger and more seasoned mids.
Rewind to R1 2020 v St Kilda. 1:13 on the clock in D50 and Cunnington hits a similar kick and OOF. 0:38 on the clock and Simpkin handball receives in D50 surrounded by 3 players and kicks deftly to rebound and uncontested mark buying time.
Simpkin's kicking isn't a big problem for me.

Rewind to R1 2020 v St Kilda. 1:13 on the clock in D50 and Cunnington hits a similar kick and OOF. 0:38 on the clock and Simpkin handball receives in D50 surrounded by 3 players and kicks deftly to rebound and uncontested mark buying time.
Simpkin's kicking isn't a big problem for me.

I wasn’t stating that it was.

Your senior leaders just can not make those basic mistakes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's obviously a highly skilled player, but he just needs composure in the contest and breaking away.

Clayton Oliver had questions marks over his disposal but this year he has been a lot more effective. Also Simpkin utilised his step and fake more effectively. Needs to be more instinctive with it as opposition can anticipate/predict when he'll do it.

Jy, mate, i love you, but apart from myself, and a few posters here, i can guarantee that 17 other club's opposition scouts know that your go to move of the sidestep/balk/dance move is a 99% chance of happening every single posession, so easy to defend against, become unpredictable, and the hurt factor/posession goes up enormously.

I don’t think GWS got the memo on Jy’s sidestep/baulk/dance move. 🤣

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You can see he gets very hard on himself too. Jumper matters.

The traffic accident was like a lightning bolt to his brain.

He has not looked back since that moment. A total professional.

7. Jye Simpkin: Was touted in the pre-season as arguably the Kangaroos emerging best player and we saw some evidence of that on Saturday afternoon as the Kangaroos put it to the Lions for three quarters. Simpkin was dynamic around stoppages and won nine clearances, forcing Lions coach Chris Fagan to give his team’s engine room a half time bake to get them going. Simpkin finished with 31 disposals including 22 kicks and nine handball. Not all doom and gloom at the Kangaroos at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back