Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4 x B&F, 3 x AA, 2 x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok Danster
Yeah no worries mate, went back to the start of this thread, but only for a couple of years, and all your postings were generally negative, now I don't have Proper Gander's photographic memory but i have always got the impression that you diminish Oliver's contribution because he doesn't kick enough goals, and I don't necessarily agree that that is a bad thing, as one midfielder, does he have instructions from the coach? Who knows. Only you would now that because of your omniscience.

Anyway, my initial response because you referenced me as danster168 was ***k off you ***king now it all, but then I thought I would get banned. And although I don't post much, I love the banter and the interaction on this Board, it is fantastic, there are some sensational posters on here, it helps keep me sane, and as such this is my pathetic response to you.

Cheers

TDD

Yeah no worries mate, went back to the start of this thread, but only for a couple of years, and all your postings were generally negative, now I don't have Proper Gander's photographic memory but i have always got the impression that you diminish Oliver's contribution because he doesn't kick enough goals, and I don't necessarily agree that that is a bad thing, as one midfielder, does he have instructions from the coach? Who knows. Only you would now that because of your omniscience.

Anyway, my initial response because you referenced me as danster168 was ***k off you ***king now it all, but then I thought I would get banned. And although I don't post much, I love the banter and the interaction on this Board, it is fantastic, there are some sensational posters on here, it helps keep me sane, and as such this is my pathetic response to you.

Cheers

TDD

Simmer down TDD

Possibly, but Oliver's biggest asset is his consistency. I remember our mids in the 98-06 period were all so inconsistent.
Yze, Bruce, Green, TJ etc.
Only McDonald was consistent and with all respect he was alot less talented.

I don't think Oliver's best in the league at anything, but he is top percentage of one touch pick ups, handballs, clearances etc.

Do you disagree with that? Tracs still had 40 shots on goal. Clarrys had about 10.
The hardest skill in the AFL is finding the footy. Oliver does that better than anyone. 34.5 touches a game. And he leads the league in contested possessions, clearances, and not to mention the afl coaches award. So the coaches value him as the best also.

I hear what you're saying about not hitting the scoreboard but to me it's not a big deal. He can't do everything. Out of Petracca's 21 misses this year, how many of them resulted in goals to the opposition from kick-ins? A missed shot at goal is a turnover, and incredibly momentum sapping. I'd much prefer Oliver's 2.6 than Petracca's 9.21. Of the 21 the opposition has probably kicked 8 or 9 goals from the kick-in. It's a killer.

I could see a world where petracca matches Oliver but he'd have to match him for consistency and he'd have to sop turning the ball over by missing easy shots at goal.

Out of Petracca's 21 misses this year, how many of them resulted in goals to the opposition from kick-ins? A missed shot at goal is a turnover, and incredibly momentum sapping. I'd much prefer Oliver's 2.6 than Petracca's 9.21. Of the 21 the opposition has probably kicked 8 or 9 goals from the kick-in. It's a killer.
This is complete nonsense.

The leave average for opposition kick ins as a source for goals is sub 10%.

This means, unless Petracca's goals deviate enormously from that average, his misses have resulted in one, at best 2 goals to the opposition.

Goal line turnovers are actually almost the best kind of turn overs - as they're the farthest away from the opposition goal. (And they allow us to set up down the line).

There's a reason why we are so keen on forward half turnovers and forward pressure resulting in turnovers - they produce way more goals.

In addition - Clarry's 2.6 is a worse accuracy percentage than Tracc's 9.21 - by your reasoning, on average he creates more goals for the opposition by percentage than Tracc. I guess the follow on there is that no one is our side should actually take a scoring shot in case they miss which might result in a coast-to-coast goal for the opposition...

Totally not a killer...

I saw a stat earlier this year that if you're a goal down with a couple of minutes to go, to win you're better off kicking a behind than a goal because it's more likely you will kick a goal from the returning kick in than score from a centre clearance and more likely the opposition will score from centre clearance than score from their own kick in.

I saw a stat earlier this year that if you're a goal down with a couple of minutes to go, to win you're better off kicking a behind than a goal because it's more likely you will kick a goal from the returning kick in than score from a centre clearance and more likely the opposition will score from centre clearance than score from their own kick in.
I just wanted to point out that I was the first one to recognise the importance of a 7 point play. It’s genuinely concerning that posters such as yourself are only coming round to this now. Just goes to show that I was correct as always and light years ahead of others in my foresight as usual.

I imagine that has something to do with match situation. Easier to win centre clearance at the end of a game when tackles are harder to stick, and easier to turn it over from kick in when the pressure is up and oppo is marking up 1v1.

I imagine that has something to do with match situation. Easier to win centre clearance at the end of a game when tackles are harder to stick, and easier to turn it over from kick in when the pressure is up and oppo is marking up 1v1.
Not sure the stats went that deep. IIRC it was one of those champion data pure footy segments and they were just looking at scores from kick ins vs scores from centre clearances both ways.

I just wanted to point out that I was the first one to recognise the importance of a 7 point play. It’s genuinely concerning that posters such as yourself are only coming round to this now. Just goes to show that I was correct as always and light years ahead of others in my foresight as usual.
I hope Brad Scott isn't reading this.

Rule change incoming...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love that he has re-signed.

Not to go all Danster, just playing devils advocate, giving a 7 year contract to a bash and crash type player seems iffy. Counter balancing this is that he never misses a game to this point in his career.

Would hope we have front loaded the s**t out of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back