Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4 x B&F, 3 x AA, 2 x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Vines is unplayable next to Clarry.

Dude has tunnel vision, doesn't have any defensive discipline. He doesn't add anything.

On principle agree with Topkent that the 3rd mid needs to be a bit different to Gus who is too offensive minded, but Viney is not that guy.

Still want to see Trac/Clarry/Gus play more together and work it out.

Dude has tunnel vision, doesn't have any defensive discipline. He doesn't add anything.

On principle agree with Topkent that the 3rd mid needs to be a bit different to Gus who is too offensive minded, but Viney is not that guy.

Viney does have defensive discipline, some of his better games have been more defensive than offensive. Gosh Brayshaw is overrated by some on this board.

Viney does have defensive discipline, some of his better games have been more defensive than offensive. Gosh Brayshaw is overrated by some on this board.
Tackling and tagging is different from filling up the hole goalside of stoppages, which Vines has never done.

Viney is not a high IQ player. To be fair neither of our other mids are, except maybe Trac, but at least if you've got Gus Trac Clarry you've got 3 guys that can play off each other and spread from a stoppage fairly well.

What rubbish. Not defensive minded?

Have you actually ever watched him play? Just curious.

I think half of Gus' problems are poor coaching. He was moved around last year, given tagging roles, playing in the backline etc.
We see the same s**t now with with Harmes, Fritsch has (hopefully) found a place, Jones who knows what's going on but he's played all over the ground.

I was ok with experimenting with our team for some of 2019 because we'd copped some injuries and turned to s**t, but at some point we probably should have backed the team in to see if they could find consistency in their roles.

Anyway Clayton Oliver... is he still a ginger? Looked like he'd borrowed some of that peroxide Smith and Salem shared.

I think half of Gus' problems are poor coaching. He was moved around last year, given tagging roles, playing in the backline etc.
We see the same sh*t now with with Harmes, Fritsch has (hopefully) found a place, Jones who knows what's going on but he's played all over the ground.

I was ok with experimenting with our team for some of 2019 because we'd copped some injuries and turned to sh*t, but at some point we probably should have backed the team in to see if they could find consistency in their roles.

Anyway Clayton Oliver... is he still a ginger? Looked like he'd borrowed some of that peroxide Smith and Salem shared.
I wondered that. Could be. Interesting how Carry’s hair has really been an escalating series of poor decisions from a really low starting point. It’s going to be a challenge to continue at this pace

We see the same sh*t now with with Harmes, Fritsch has (hopefully) found a place, Jones who knows what's going on but he's played all over the ground.

I was ok with experimenting with our team for some of 2019 because we'd copped some injuries and turned to sh*t, but at some point we probably should have backed the team in to see if they could find consistency in their roles.

Agree on all fronts. Hair is a bit iffy, but he played well so maybe this is the making of Oliver; casting off the ging and becoming the player we want him to be.

I'm critical of Brayshaw but 100% agree we throw players around way too much.

Thing with Brayshaw is he's played a good number of high level, BOG or at least top 3 on the field, type games that catch the eye for a mid his age.

Definitely a weird player. I think other teams rate him higher than demons fans as we have a surplus of inside mids and have also seen him put in dogshit games where he looks completely disinterested.

One thing is for sure is that he plays best when he's hunting the ball and man. Sunday is a huge game and I honestly think we should start a fight/scrap from the opening bounce. Viney straight to Merrett early on to let him know he's going to have a tough day. Our mids run on adrenalin and high tempo - time to biff someone. Essendon are prone to getting bullied around the ball too.

If we get a top 25 pick for Brayshaw or Weideman (or both combined) at the end of the year it'll be a straight up miracle.

Whilst I'd be surprised if we had them both on the list by the end of 2021 if we shipped them both out for picks and didn't get anyone experienced in during the same period we're just putting ourselves into another mini rebuild. Thats the problem that faces the club with some of our guys right now, we absolutely need at least one of TMac/Weid to start kicking 2 goals a week to go anywhere.

I think there was quite a few posters for this. As it stands, you'd pick between viney and brayshaw to trade.. viney is just 26, feet are cooked and is predominantly inside only, but he's a heart and soul player, and leaves it all in the field. Personally think he could play as a defensive forward too, but seems they prefer Vandenberg/Melksham etc for that role.

Brayshaw is 24, he's had a good season in the brownlow polling, (not one poster would have tipped him that high, or said he was that good that year until post brownlow result) he's had injury concerns throughout too, and looks uninterested 80% of the time. He's been at his best in only a few big games, but rarely inserts himself to will the team over the line. Not to mention his ball retention skills, and disposal..

Take a top 15-18 pick and ******* run

Viney’s feet are fine atm

I like the way you highlight all of brayshaws flaws but expect a top 20 pick for him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Viney’s feet are fine atm

I like the way you highlight all of brayshaws flaws but expect a top 20 pick for him
I highlighted good and bad of both? If you don't think you'd get a top 20 pick for him you're dreaming. Have a look at past 5 years of players who've moved in the vicinity.

Polec, stringer, Devon Smith, Langdon etc. I'm sure there are others I've missed. He's not going to get a top 10 like hill or the like, but somewhere around 20 would be fine. Wanking on over a few spots is pointless, if we turn brayshaw into a decent pick or a guy who can kick a drop punt over 45m I am all for it.

As if you would want a draft pick in the upcoming compromised draft.

If we are going to offload Viney or Gus, can we package them with Weid or Tmac and get an AFL standard KPF?
Said it before and I'll say it again after watching him yday, we should do everything we can to get (off contract) Ben Brown

He'll be restricted and we have nothing to trade.
The Roos should have reasonable cap space too right? They always go for big fish and don't land them, and even Higgins, Cunnington, Polec, etc. wouldn't be on outrageous money (barring silly front/back loading of contracts).

Only way to get a KPF is trade one from interstate or draft one (I guess this is two of the three ways). Not many options out there. Like everyone else we’ll be in the race for Ben King and Jeremy Cameron. I don’t mind Daniel McStay from the Lions.

Brayshaw & Weidemann for Brown, if he requests a trade and doesn't want to stay at North. Unlikely, but you never know.

The bloke is such a turn off to watch play. He's quickly becoming everything I hate about modern football.

Used to be such a fan but he's completely lost me.

As I said in the GameDay thread, bring back the fat red head I used to love. This peroxide stat whore can G&GF.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back