Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4 x B&F, 3 x AA, 2 x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate i'm sure he is spot on that Oliver is a target for Carlton no one will doubt that, but has he said that Oliver will 100% be at Carlton next year?

I mean North have targeted multiple stars over the years without landing one, it's not a given.

As has been stated above Goodwin and Mahoney have their jobs on the line, in order for you guys to get Oliver you will be paying a huge price.

No, he said that he's spoken to us and is open to a move. Tensions between him and the club apparently.

No, he said that he's spoken to us and is open to a move. Tensions between him and the club apparently.

I would have thought there would have been more trade news other than Sam McClure if he said he is open to a move to Carlton.

This all seems to have stemmed of Kane Cornes making a comment that Carlton should target Oliver back in August.

Lets say Oliver requests a trade, I would be interested to know what you guys think a fair trade would be?

I would have thought there would have been more trade news other than Sam McClure if he said he is open to a move to Carlton.

This all seems to have stemmed of Kane Cornes making a comment that Carlton should target Oliver back in August.

Lets say Oliver requests a trade, I would be interested to know what you guys think a fair trade would be?

Mate, don't get sucked in, it's complete triipe

Our 100 percent ITK poster has said there is truth to us and Oliver.

Only barrier at present is satisfying you blokes.
An Garry Lyon said he rang someone directly at the club and was told that that person would run naked around the tan such was the bull shitness of the rumour.

Oh yeah, I've heard we've spoken to Cripps managament, unhappy at Carlton missing finals again
I've never been wrong that we've potentially spoken to a manager before

I know, i'm just interested to see what Carlton supporters think a fair trade would be.
2 first round picks plus any one player you like excluding Cripps, Docherty, Walsh, Weitering, CCurnow, McKay, DeKoning, Kemp, Martin. Out of interest who would you like? But if I was Melbourne's LM that probably doesn't get it done. Oliver is a gun, I don't expect for a moment that this deal gets done, no matter how much Carlton and even perhaps Oliver might like it to happen.

2 first round picks plus any one player you like excluding Cripps, Docherty, Walsh, Weitering, CCurnow, McKay, DeKoning, Kemp, Martin. Out of interest who would you like? But if I was Melbourne's LM that probably doesn't get it done. Oliver is a gun, I don't expect for a moment that this deal gets done, no matter how much Carlton and even perhaps Oliver might like it to happen.
I'd say two top 10 picks. And there is nobody else on your list of much value.

So two first round picks + a spud player.

Oh yeah, I've heard we've spoken to Cripps managament, unhappy at Carlton missing finals again
I've never been wrong that we've potentially spoken to a manager before
We've got the cap space to fit him, and an attraction to inside mids here at the dees.

Rumour confirmed. Dees into Cripps.

May even target him to turn him into a CHF while we are adding pumpkin spice to this bullshit latte

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're on the money and even if the dees took that, it would be pretty average list management from Carlton to make that trade.

While Carlton have some impressive players (the ones you've mentioned in particular) there are a lot of top picks and younger players that either haven't come on as you'd have hoped, or a few older players that are probably nearing the shadows of their careers. The likes of petrovski-seaton, stocker, dow, O'Brien, setterfield etc, but then some of the guys in their very late 20s/early 30s- Curnow, Docherty, Murphy, casboult etc. I'm surprised that there wasn't more of an attempt at Caldwell for Carlton, as I think he would have been a good fit. If I was on the blues LM I'd be targetting the draft and keep another good midfielder or 2 (not a versatile HBF that you blokes seem to target in spades), and use the FA to target someone either this year or next. But throwing 2 top 10(ish) picks probably not the best move imo

You're on the money and even if the dees took that, it would be pretty average list management from Carlton to make that trade.

While Carlton have some impressive players (the ones you've mentioned in particular) there are a lot of top picks and younger players that either haven't come on as you'd have hoped, or a few older players that are probably nearing the shadows of their careers. The likes of petrovski-seaton, stocker, dow, O'Brien, setterfield etc, but then some of the guys in their very late 20s/early 30s- Curnow, Docherty, Murphy, casboult etc. I'm surprised that there wasn't more of an attempt at Caldwell for Carlton, as I think he would have been a good fit. If I was on the blues LM I'd be targetting the draft and keep another good midfielder or 2 (not a versatile HBF that you blokes seem to target in spades), and use the FA to target someone either this year or next. But throwing 2 top 10(ish) picks probably not the best move imo
Thanks for your considered response. Sounds like we are pretty much in agreement.
Alternatively, we apparently have some awkward photos of Kochie. Would a top 10 pick plus Ollie Wines be near the mark if Clarry wanted out?

Thanks for your considered response. Sounds like we are pretty much in agreement.
Alternatively, we apparently have some awkward photos of Kochie. Would a top 10 pick plus Ollie Wines be near the mark if Clarry wanted out?
Would you prefer Ollie Wines and a top 10 pick or Clayton Oliver?

contracts are meaningless these days, it's the player empowerment era.

I don't think our list is much better or worse than Carlton. If the Saad and Williams get done, I'd favour the Blues next year.
Blues have gone past us now.

If we don't make finals next year i can see a GWS style exit. Don't blame them really. This is the problem with keeping Goodwin. No one here thinks he's a good coach. So we now run the risk of losing generational players by being a middle of the road side. Oliver is gone if we don't improve greatly next season. And that's on the club.

Would you prefer Ollie Wines and a top 10 pick or Clayton Oliver?
Oliver every day, of course.

If we don't make finals next year i can see a GWS style exit. Don't blame them really. This is the problem with keeping Goodwin. No one here thinks he's a good coach. So we now run the risk of losing generational players by being a middle of the road side. Oliver is gone if we don't improve greatly next season. And that's on the club.

Strange, must have missed all those seasons they finished above us.

Cripps, Docherty, Walsh, Weitering, CCurnow, McKay, Kemp.

Yeah I disagree with this.

Williams and Saad is huge for their depth, and a fit Curnow replacing the useless McGovern in the F50 IMO means they go past us next season. Just my opinion.
Well they haven't got either of them yet and the season isn't even over. Not sure how anything's changed yet.

Yeah I disagree with this.
Me too. GWS have leaked players for years but since it's only been 1 or 2 best-22 leaving where they have depth they've covered well. They're probably ruing that now as it set a standard that they were happy to let good players go pretty easily (although I can't remember if Shiel, Treloar or Adams were contracted at the time).

Cameron and Williams is big. Corr too, given they aren't super flush with KPDs (Davis is getting old and hurt too often). Plus Hately, Caldwell, etc. Means that of their best 25 they could lose 5 or 6 players in one hit (plus Mummy/Jacobs retiring).
Wouldn't say it can't happen, but different contexts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back