Past Gary Rohan (Missing: report any sightings to the Geelong physio) - traded 2018, to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

And yet the NEAFL keeps developing AFL and Swans system ready players for us again and again and again
No, our drafting and our Academy system keeps producing AFL talent again and again and again. They just play games there!

Where is he rated across the league for pressure acts?
I'll check the research room. I can tell you where he ranks for defensive half pressure acts:

519th.

Behind noted defensive pressure machines like Aaron Sandilands, Lindsay Thomas, Billy Longer, Jon Patton, Tom Boyd, Majak Daw, and Jed Lamb.

I'll check the research room. I can tell you where he ranks for defensive half pressure acts:

519th.

Behind noted defensive pressure machines like Aaron Sandilands, Lindsay Thomas, Billy Longer, Jon Patton, Tom Boyd, Majak Daw, and Jed Lamb.
It's almost like forwards play in the forward half.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's almost like forwards play in the forward half.
See the forwards and lumbering hacks I listed? They play in the forward half too. Plus the 211cm 2nd oldest player in the league.

396 people played AFL last weekend. Gary Rohan ranks 519th.

Where does he rank for efforts off the ball that can't be seen on TV and aren't recorded as a stat?
If you'd like to create a ranking for "perceived pressure based on the assumption that because you see someone run fast to close down an opponent a couple of times a game, they must be doing it all the time" then feel free.

To save some time, "Efforts off the ball" is exactly what pressure acts already record.
A pressure act is when a player has applied either closing, corralling, chasing or physical pressure.
Points are awarded for corralling (1.2), chasing (1.5), closing (2.75) and physical pressure (3.75).

I'm a fan of Gary, but I think we've seen his ceiling and unfortunately it's not all that high. He has always struggled to get into games (even pre-draft according to that write-up someone posted earlier in the thread) and even when he does something to impact the contest, it's such a rare occurrence that it really isn't that valuable to the team. He's not a terrible footballer by any stretch, but he just seems to lack game smarts and is often in the wrong position or makes the wrong decision. Obviously he's blessed with some really important skills like speed, vertical leap and incredible sure hands, but he doesn't actually know what to do with them.

The most frustrating thing about him that I've noticed is that after a long, searching lead and mark, he often turns over the ball because he doesn't get off the mark quickly and then tries to pinpoint a pass off one step. He needs to get right back and get a bit of momentum in his kick so that it's not so easy for the opposition to pick off. My assumption is that he's so spent from a massive sprint at absolute full pace that he's just a bit buggered in that moment. Which comes back to my point about him not knowing how to harness his skillset.

He won't be playing against Geelong (hamstring injury apparently), but I struggle to see where he will fit in once Reid is back in the side. And despite his own issues reaching his potential is a massive upgrade from Gaz.
Geeze I wonder what sort of stuff might be going on that could be affecting his form?

Go on, stick the boot in so he can worry about his job security too.
This is a ridiculous call. No-one is denying that things outside of football have undoubtedly impacted his form and if you go through this thread, you'll see mountains of support for him and his family during this difficult time. He's got a contract for another few years regardless though, so don't try and guilt people into not expressing an opinion.

I l

519th.

I love stats :) they're completely objective they remove all prejudices and opinions. No favouritism. That's why I love the player ratings :) they put it all together for us, and make it easy to see who (statistically) is benefitting the team. Just because someone runs fast, or does something spectacular occasionally, or has a good reputation doesn't improve their rating. It's just about their impact. Almost like listing the "Moneyball" players we all love so much.

So based on that, where does Gary sit in the competition overall? Number 211 overall, not great, but not bad by any stretch.
He sits ahead of Rampe, Jack Mills, Smith, Grundy, Reid, Cunningham (and of course everyone who's not played enough seasons to be a reasonable comparison). He's just behind Hewitt and Mcveigh. Now I know that his numbers are down a bit this season, but let's not get carried away thinking that just because he doesn't do the things we would all like to see, and probably never will, that when he's playing as he usually does (NOT the way we all wish he would) he isn't valuable to the team and doesn't positively influence the results.

I l

I love stats :) they're completely objective they remove all prejudices and opinions. No favouritism. That's why I love the player ratings :) they put it all together for us, and make it easy to see who (statistically) is benefitting the team. Just because someone runs fast, or does something spectacular occasionally, or has a good reputation doesn't improve their rating. It's just about their impact. Almost like listing the "Moneyball" players we all love so much.

So based on that, where does Gary sit in the competition overall? Number 211 overall, not great, but not bad by any stretch.
He sits ahead of Rampe, Jack Mills, Smith, Grundy, Reid, Cunningham (and of course everyone who's not played enough seasons to be a reasonable comparison). He's just behind Hewitt and Mcveigh. Now I know that his numbers are down a bit this season, but let's not get carried away thinking that just because he doesn't do the things we would all like to see, and probably never will, that when he's playing as he usually does (NOT the way we all wish he would) he isn't valuable to the team and doesn't positively influence the results.
Thank you! I knew it wasn't my imagination....

Can you clarify a few things for me? Is this stat based on all players in the 2018 league? How many games do they need to have played? And what are they based on? Cause it seems to me that poor Smith must be feeling hardly done by!

Thank you! I knew it wasn't my imagination....

Can you clarify a few things for me? Is this stat based on all players in the 2018 league? How many games do they need to have played? And what are they based on? Cause it seems to me that poor Smith must be feeling hardly done by!

Ah kirkswan but are you just imagining the post too in which case you ARE imagining things.....in a confirmation bias sort of way. How do any of us know that Nebley actually exists :p

I'm a fan of Gary, but I think we've seen his ceiling and unfortunately it's not all that high. He has always struggled to get into games (even pre-draft according to that write-up someone posted earlier in the thread) and even when he does something to impact the contest, it's such a rare occurrence that it really isn't that valuable to the team. He's not a terrible footballer by any stretch, but he just seems to lack game smarts and is often in the wrong position or makes the wrong decision. Obviously he's blessed with some really important skills like speed, vertical leap and incredible sure hands, but he doesn't actually know what to do with them.

The most frustrating thing about him that I've noticed is that after a long, searching lead and mark, he often turns over the ball because he doesn't get off the mark quickly and then tries to pinpoint a pass off one step. He needs to get right back and get a bit of momentum in his kick so that it's not so easy for the opposition to pick off. My assumption is that he's so spent from a massive sprint at absolute full pace that he's just a bit buggered in that moment. Which comes back to my point about him not knowing how to harness his skillset.

He won't be playing against Geelong (hamstring injury apparently), but I struggle to see where he will fit in once Reid is back in the side. And despite his own issues reaching his potential is a massive upgrade from Gaz.

This is a ridiculous call. No-one is denying that things outside of football have undoubtedly impacted his form and if you go through this thread, you'll see mountains of support for him and his family during this difficult time. He's got a contract for another few years regardless though, so don't try and guilt people into not expressing an opinion.
Mate there are people saying he should be put down.

Half the opinions are stupid and mean spirited. Many seem to not understand why the coach selects him.

Yeah he isn't the superstar we all wanted him to be, damn right he is a frustrating player, I wish he could a more central role and make more consistent impact. I have my theory that they should play him on ball in the twos.

But he is a swans player who has courageously played for the shirt and I doubt someone else will make our team more likely to win.

See the forwards and lumbering hacks I listed? They play in the forward half too. Plus the 211cm 2nd oldest player in the league.

396 people played AFL last weekend. Gary Rohan ranks 519th.
It's almost like defensive half pressure isn't a particularly useful or meaningful statistic in this regard.

Im happy to hear that rohan isn't as good at forward half pressure as you'd hope, given that's his role in the team. But its like saying florent takes as few contested marks as Caleb Daniel. Sure it's probably true, but it also says very little about those players and what they do to help thier teams win. It's a bad faith argument.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Half the opinions are stupid and mean spirited. Many seem to not understand why the coach selects him.

Yeah he isn't the superstar we all wanted him to be, damn right he is a frustrating player, I wish he could a more central role and make more consistent impact. I have my theory that they should play him on ball in the twos.

But he is a swans player who has courageously played for the shirt and I doubt someone else will make our team more likely to win.

The bolded is where I disagree. Someone with a sharper football mind who knows how to find the ball more than 8 times a game in a forward half that has exceptionally talented players to work with (Franklin, Ronke, Hayward, Papley, Reid when he returns) could absolutely help us win. And his pressure has been bad for the last 3 weeks, he's been dropping down week after week in terms of how many pressure acts he's been applying to the point where he was in the bottom handful against WCE and Richmond. It's just not enough.

Rohan simply doesn't do enough and he hasn't for years. He has certainly been admirable in what he's overcome but that cannot keep him in the side when he produces so little week after week.

I'll be very frustrated if they allow him back into seniors next week straight away. He needs multiple excellent games at reserves level before he goes anywhere near AFL again.

519th.

What a load of crap! There are two halves to a football ground and a ruckman always starts in the defensive half, therefore when the ball comes to ground, in his vicinity, any pressure act is recorded. If it’s in his half, it’s obviously defensive! So out of that list you’ve listed 5 ruckman (granted Boyd & Patton are forwards, Daw forward/defence) and 2 guys (Lamb & Daw) that are predominantly playing in defence. Clearly Thomas’ defensive pressure act was on the guy these players are being compared to, when he smashed his leg in half back in 1866!

Like comparing apples and oranges!

Rohan is a confidence player. He simply doesn't have self belief. There have been times in his career where he has scored 4 or more goals a game and taken several impressive contested marks. It turns on the act of getting involved and tasting success with that involvement. If he does the performance steps up. I've seen it in him. One impressive outcome enables him. Because he finds it easiest to chase and that isn't risky for failure he has concentrated on that because of his failed self belief. His skill set is sublime. I most definitely would play him on the ball in reserves and simultaneously work with a sports pysche. I think you would see a different Gary- one who could challenge top 5.

Doing is the answer. Don't let him hide- force his involvement

Since a few people appear to have been confused, I posted defensive half pressure because that is the stat the AFL publishes and makes available. I'd post forward half too if it was made available to me. I am confident Gary would be in the top 200 in the AFL in that category.

2 positions suit him imo

FF alone

Or in defence were he has to follow someone and not think to much , just defend and go for a run on occasions

Plenty of players can only follow and are rubbish up front

Much like in 2014 I think when he played in defence against the hawks at the mcg mid year and obviously the final against north

2 positions suit him imo

FF alone

Or in defence were he has to follow someone and not think to much , just defend and go for a run on occasions

Plenty of players can only follow and are rubbish up front

Much like in 2014 I think when he played in defence against the hawks at the mcg mid year and obviously the final against north
Absolutely agree! Anyway, we won’t have to worry about it this week at least.

I l

Reid would have slipped due to their injuries over the the past 3 seasons, right?

Basically Rohan is the lowest-rated established senior player aside from the pure defenders in Smith and Grundy (who aren’t treated fairly by the player ratings system imo), Jack (at the end of his career) and Cunningham. Of the up and coming younger players, some will surpass Rohan, others will he delisted.

His position rank (small/medium forward) is the 31st in the league. Highest it’s been it’s 22nd, in mid-2016. Not terrible - would suggest he’d get a game st most clubs, but doesn’t exactly set the world on fire.

All teams have them. He is what he is.

Last edited:
Since a few people appear to have been confused, I posted defensive half pressure because that is the stat the AFL publishes and makes available. I'd post forward half too if it was made available to me. I am confident Gary would be in the top 200 in the AFL in that category.
I know you couldn't find/dont have access to, the front half stats, but doesn't mean what is available is useful.

Re your last point, we wouldn’t know. Because we’ve persisted with over 100 games of mostly mediocrity from Rohan. And it sounds like a harsh word but doing the bare minimum to impact the game each week is mediocre IMO. Mediocre, average, ordinary, call it what you want. He’s spent the last four and a half years in the bottom four of our best 22. It’s not mean spirited at all, we all love him as a Swan but if you’re bottom four of the best 22, that puts you in the same conversation as the Towers and Aliirs and Sinclair’s and Cunningham’s of the world, other players we’ve rightfully dissected to within an inch of their life, have had to bid their time in the NEAFL, and earned their way back into the team.

So why the need to make Gaz look worse than he is (though he has been quiet), in the first place?

Re your last point, we wouldn’t know. Because we’ve persisted with over 100 games of mostly mediocrity from Rohan. And it sounds like a harsh word but doing the bare minimum to impact the game each week is mediocre IMO. Mediocre, average, ordinary, call it what you want. He’s spent the last four and a half years in the bottom four of our best 22. It’s not mean spirited at all, we all love him as a Swan but if you’re bottom four of the best 22, that puts you in the same conversation as the Towers and Aliirs and Sinclair’s and Cunningham’s of the world, other players we’ve rightfully dissected to within an inch of their life, have had to bid their time in the NEAFL, and earned their way back into the team.

Exactly well said. He goes back and earns his spot. Unfortunately watch him waltz back in with zero form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back