Player Watch #17 - Harley Bennell - Fingers can now be uncrossed

Remove this Banner Ad

As everyone else has said, playing and not being reinjured this year is a tick. Next year with fitness and a preseason we can judge what he is, we all know he could be the difference in any game if he gets back half of what he had. That is worth a lost spot especially ahead of guys like Wagners, Dunkley, ect
Absolutely.

Anyone got any ideas on what list sizes might be next season? We've certainly got some dead wood to get rid of, but hoping not to cut it too fine where we have to lose a decent young player or two.

He didn’t really do a preseason. Will definitely be re-signed.
Correct. While the rest of the squad was grinding out the toughest pre-season ever under Burgess, Bennell was doing rehab - with the odd setback. He played against Carlton on the back of a three week block of training. Who knows when he last actually completed a pre-season. You don't get them back & you can't catch up during the season.

His fitness base at this point would still be way off the rest of the squad so for me, to have done what he's done so far exceeds expectations. Can't wait to see him play when he's fully fit

Keep him on peanuts with all the usual behavior clauses. Too good not to give another go with a full preseason, but needs to know he is on his last chance.

I must say what he did is concerning. All he had to do was wait a few days when the season was over. Says to me he lacks self control and may slip back into more unsavory habits.

if we have already offered the contract then i say we will honour it, absolutely a stupid thing to do so close to the end of the season but i still think his upside is massive.

Pert has a massive stick up his arse for this sort of sh*t. I expect the contract will be torn up corporate correct reasons.

He didnt sack Didak or Shaw when they ****ed up, didnt Harley get pulled over and blow under? Was he actually out on a bender? Or did he have a fight with the mrs and take off? Is he struggling to deal with his dads health issues?

Not sure what the issue with him is but as far ad i can figure out he had a few beers in the bubble, he then left and ran out of fuel, was breath tested and blew under then tried to go to Harbrows place.

Covid breach is dumb but if we tear up his contract over that then thats just stupid, if he genuinely pissed off and had a bender then fair enough.

I think we will find out on Thursday when we cut the fat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is where we could be a little more Collingwood... You pretty much have to commit mass murder to get cut from the Pies.
Provided you're talented anyway

He hasn't done much wrong, pretty sh*t if we abandon him now

Agree, but given the reduction in list sizes, he may be out of luck.

I hope he's not, but you never know how corporate leadership view this kind of thing.

Can we put fan pressure on the club to keep him ala Richmond fans with cousins.
I think a lot of it will depend on his attitude to the club over the next week. I heard a report that he's been non-communicative with the club - no doubt embarrassed, stressed out about thinking he might have killed his footballing future. But he really needs to be talking this through with the club and making every post a winner.

Will look at what Club has said , support him means what? . To me it means we give him another year. I would , he has done nothing that ruins the AFL s**t in QLD .

Damian Barrett said on his podcast that his understanding is that was Harley's last chance

Maybe we don't have the full story, but if he has been doing everything he was asked to and promised to do from the minute we drafted him right until this indiscretion, then that would be a very harsh call as various players have done similar breaches throughout the season.

If we don't contract him next year then there just has to be more to the story.

Jay Clark running with hes gone
Hope he is wrong, if not i look forward to Harley joining the cats for nothing and looking like a steal at the end of 2021.

If we don't give him a contract just for breaching the covid rules then this club can get ****ed, it would want to be that he really ****ed up.

Hope he is wrong, if not i look forward to Harley joining the cats for nothing and looking like a steal at the end of 2021.

If we don't give him a contract just for breaching the covid rules then this club can get f’ed, it would want to be that he really f’ed up.

Nah as much as I've been a big fan of the Bennell pickup I'm happy to back the club here. They've been very fair to him but he would have known he is on a tight leash, why you would leave the hub especially whilst drinking has me completely stumped. I don't care if he went to get a car seat for his daughter or something, you get the club to organize it for you. Compounded with the fact he apparently has been very hard for the club to come into contact with I can absolutely see why we'd cut him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back