Preview Changes/Preview – Round 17 v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate im not trying to be polite about it, i havent said a bad word about Goodwin in 3 years but your line of credit runs out eventually and you only get by on a premiership for so long. We had something that worked in 2021, ever since the coaching department has been all over the shop. Last year they were too rigid and wouldn't play another tall up forward after TMac got injured all year until there was 5 mins left in our season and it was too late. Now this year they have been experimenting with every line up except for the obvious one which is to play the best 2 key tall fwds we can field. Enough already. Our style is to kick it long and gain territory, but we are woefully inefficient going into our 50 and maybe just maybe if they played 2 talls than can take a contested mark then kicking it long into the 50 might yield some results. We are playing for a top 4 spot next week, lose and theres a good chance we dont get back into the top 4, what has JVR done wrong this year to be in the seconds 2 weeks in a row? He goes back, kicks 4 goals, our fwd line looks horrendous without him and its obvious BB isn't near his best. Just play 2 talls up fwd already, science month is over already, play your best side. No one is seriously gonna say that JVR isnt best 22, so either play him with Petty & bring Tomlinson in or play him w BB and play Petty down back. We arent winning a premiership with Melksham at CHF. We have half a dozen years in a premiership window and they are being wasted. Every single person in the AFL points out how bad our fwd line looks, we lose our best fwd for the rest of the yr and this is the answer? Bring in a bunch of wingers? There's no sugar coating this BS, we lost to a bottom 4 side last week and this is the point of the season to start really trying to click so its time to stop f k n about. Pure and simple. We were winning games with Petty and JVR up forward so how about we go back to what works. Goodwin and the coaching department are again being super stubborn about playing the best 2 key fwds we have despite all the evidence that its what works. Its utter madness.
I wasn't disagreeing with your ramble, literally just liked that one phrase!

Tomlinson does have a certain air about him. I’ve had a couple of brief interactions with him and I got the feel he was a bit of a fan of himself.

He wouldn’t be alone, lots of egos in a footy club.

Goodwin completely dodged a question about Tomlinson in his weekly presser prior to the GWS game.

Something odd is going on.
If the leaders are judging selection on personality, that is a massive issue.

Edit: Certainly not having a go at you btw. Always appreciate your insights.

Last edited:

It depends what the values at the club are.

If we take it on face value that Lord Nev has good mail, imagine if Tomlinson was doing something like slagging off the coaches in front of multiple other players.

“See how good I played, and these idiots weren’t selecting me all season!”

Maybe he got told he wasn’t being selected for the GWS game and cracked it, had a go at whoever provided the message.

You can absolutely understand if there’s frustration there but there are appropriate and inappropriate ways to deal with it. Especially from a player approaching 30 and getting up to 200 games of experience. It’s not a 20 year old hot head.

I’ve got no idea what’s gone on, just taking wild stabs. But there are some things that from a disrespect perspective would be over the line and enough to make you unselectable.

Edit: Certainly not having a go at you btw. Always appreciate your insights.
No worries, didn’t take it as a go at me. This forum is good that (for the most part) we can share our views and opinions and it doesn’t get into personal attacks. Mostly…

I sometimes have a look at Demonland and you have a cheer squad member coming in and berating anyone who is negative about a player. If we can’t be critical and let off a bit of steam or frustration, what’s the point?

No worries, didn’t take it as a go at me. This forum is good that (for the most part) we can share our views and opinions and it doesn’t get into personal attacks. Mostly…

I sometimes have a look at Drmondland and you have a cheer squad member coming in and berating anyone who is negative about a player. If we can’t be critical and let off a bit of steam or frustration, what’s the point?
Exactly why I love this forum.

That squad member on the other hand is a WayneKerr

If we take it on face value that Lord Nev has good mail, imagine if Tomlinson was doing something like slagging off the coaches in front of multiple other players.

Maybe he got told he wasn’t being selected for the GWS game and cracked it, had a go at whoever provided the message.

You can absolutely understand if there’s frustration there but there are appropriate and inappropriate ways to deal with it. Especially from a player approaching 30 and getting up to 200 games of experience. It’s not a 20 year old hot head.

I’ve got no idea what’s gone on, just taking wild stabs. But there are some things that from a disrespect perspective would be over the line and enough to make you unselectable.

Tomlinson does have a certain air about him. I’ve had a couple of brief interactions with him and I got the feel he was a bit of a fan of himself.

He wouldn’t be alone, lots of egos in a footy club.

Goodwin completely dodged a question about Tomlinson in his weekly presser prior to the GWS game.

Something odd is going on.
Certainly not having a go at you btw. I very much appreciate your insights

That’s a fair take. I would just say my view from numpty land is that leadership seems to be struggling.

Mate im not trying to be polite about it, i havent said a bad word about Goodwin in 3 years but your line of credit runs out eventually and you only get by on a premiership for so long. We had something that worked in 2021, ever since the coaching department has been all over the shop. Last year they were too rigid and wouldn't play another tall up forward after TMac got injured all year until there was 5 mins left in our season and it was too late. Now this year they have been experimenting with every line up except for the obvious one which is to play the best 2 key tall fwds we can field. Enough already. Our style is to kick it long and gain territory, but we are woefully inefficient going into our 50 and maybe just maybe if they played 2 talls than can take a contested mark then kicking it long into the 50 might yield some results. We are playing for a top 4 spot next week, lose and theres a good chance we dont get back into the top 4, what has JVR done wrong this year to be in the seconds 2 weeks in a row? He goes back, kicks 4 goals, our fwd line looks horrendous without him and its obvious BB isn't near his best. Just play 2 talls up fwd already, science month is over already, play your best side. No one is seriously gonna say that JVR isnt best 22, so either play him with Petty & bring Tomlinson in or play him w BB and play Petty down back. We arent winning a premiership with Melksham at CHF. We have half a dozen years in a premiership window and they are being wasted. Every single person in the AFL points out how bad our fwd line looks, we lose our best fwd for the rest of the yr and this is the answer? Bring in a bunch of wingers? There's no sugar coating this BS, we lost to a bottom 4 side last week and this is the point of the season to start really trying to click so its time to stop f k n about. Pure and simple. We were winning games with Petty and JVR up forward so how about we go back to what works. Goodwin and the coaching department are again being super stubborn about playing the best 2 key fwds we have despite all the evidence that its what works. Its utter madness.
Can you please learn to use paragraphs.

"Selection based on personality" is definitely not what is happening as far as I know as SackLunch is implying. It was an attitude thing. I don't have the details around that so not sure how that looked exactly, just that if it's ended up in a spray from Chaplin and being dropped then it must have been pretty poor.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Casey forwardline almost looks better on paper than ours..

Chandler, Schache, J.Smith
Jefferson, JVR, Bill Laurie

Pickett, Melksham, Sparrow
ANB, BBB, Spargo
Pretty sad that between two full AFL listed forwardlines, we literally have 1 player who other teams would be keen to have on their list (JVR). Well two i guess with Koz, but he's horribly out of form. Very slim pickings and horrible list management.

Attitude problems come up coz someone thinks they are being unfairly treated compared to others. Looking from the outside in and having played in sides where coaches pick up players on certain things and dont over exactly the same thing with others, id say Tommo telling Chaplin to go and get ****ed over something was likely the coaching staff's doing and not the player. You dont just snap at someone for no reason, likely you've just reached a breaking point over something you've let slide in the past for team harmony.

Wild that he's been on the list for nearly a decade now. Perhaps never quite fulfilled his promise (some of that due to injury/illness), but he's been a super solid player for a long while and played a key part in the flag.

Just wish we'd use him better.

Wild that he's been on the list for nearly a decade now. Perhaps never quite fulfilled his promise (some of that due to injury/illness), but he's been a super solid player for a long while and played a key part in the flag.

I am a hater but he’s been good since he came back in this year.

Bonkers that we have never tried to use him as anything else than a mid-sized defender.

I think he might've played a couple preseason games as a mid once (?) but surely in 10 years we could've given him a crack further up the field in some capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bonkers that we have never tried to use him as anything else than a mid-sized defender.

I think he might've played a couple preseason games as a mid once (?) but surely in 10 years we could've given him a crack further up the field in some capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Played as a forward in his first season and then never sniffed another role close after

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back