Preview Changes/Preview – Round 17 v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah right, had to go back 6 years ago to see how dominant a small forward line is at Marvel, also the same game when Riewoldt came off injured and still managed to kick more goals than anyone on the field

Mate, I didn't see "a small forward line will be dominant at Marvel", * I hate nuffies that try to change what you say to pull a straw man out.

What I said was smaller lineups do better at Marvel. Goodwin learned that after we had a big period of not being able to win there, he started picking smaller lineups and we went on a roll at Marvel.

It's a quick deck. You want leg speed. JJ and Spargo are not great calls IMO, but not picking 4 talls in the forward line is a good move.

Go back and look at our lineups from 2017 and 2018 when we started winning there. Mobile teams.

Mate, I didn't see "a small forward line will be dominant at Marvel", * I hate nuffies that try to change what you say to pull a straw man out.

What I said was smaller lineups do better at Marvel. Goodwin learned that after we had a big period of not being able to win there, he started picking smaller lineups and we went on a roll at Marvel.

It's a quick deck. You want leg speed. JJ and Spargo are not great calls IMO, but not picking 4 talls in the forward line is a good move.

Go back and look at our lineups from 2017 and 2018 when we started winning there. Mobile teams.
I would just think if smaller forward lines do better at Marvel then we wouldn’t have to go back to 2017 and 2018, but let’s see Saturday

Nuffie out.

Jordan in is pretty bleak but realistically our cupboard is pretty bare midfield depth wise currently - which makes the coaching groups reluctance to play Pickett through there even stranger.

Assume Melksham stays in because they want a natural forward in there which Smith definitely isn’t. Melksham is probably like for like with Fritsch when it comes to defensive pressure (or lack of) so having him down there might not be a total disaster.

I would just think if smaller forward lines do better at Marvel then we wouldn’t have to go back to 2017 and 2018, but let’s see Saturday

Nuffie out.

Lol you're doing it again slugger.

The point was, we were crap at Marvel, we lost something like 24 games in a row, then in 2017 Goody started to pick more mobile teams when we played there, then all of a sudden we started winning there - so much so that it was more of a fortress than the G. We're going back to those times because that's when it started. The results speak for themselves.

I don't love our lineup this week - JJ and Spargo are slow, Brown is on 1 knee if that, but I understand the logic of not going as tall this week.

The point was, we were crap at Marvel, we lost something like 24 games in a row, then in 2017 Goody started to pick more mobile teams when we played there, then all of a sudden we started winning there - so much so that it was more of a fortress than the G. We're going back to those times because that's when it started. The results speak for themselves.

I don't love our lineup this week - JJ and Spargo are slow, Brown is on 1 knee if that, but I understand the logic of not going as tall this week.
I'm interested - as it appears you have mail from the camp. Why is JVR not picked? And what really is going on with Oliver? And when is Hibbo going to be back?

I'm interested - as it appears you have mail from the camp. Why is JVR not picked? And what really is going on with Oliver? And when is Hibbo going to be back?

Haha nah no idea mate. Assume JVR not picked so they can get a good look at Brown (or Brown's knees to be more precise), have a feeling he's playing for his career in a way. Pig is back in 2-3 weeks isn't he? Seems like Clarry has been maybe telling the fitness staff he's better than he actually is, that's just Clarry I guess. No conspiracies there, he definitely had an infected foot. In saying that, it wasn't a blister. ;)

I can’t see how I’m doing it again, that’s what you said.

In 2018 we played 2 tall forwards in 2 of the 3 games we played there, the 3rd game we played 3 and in everyone of those games each of the talls kicked 2 or more goals with Hogan kicking 5 and McDonald kicking 4 against the dogs.

personally i dont think smaller is better at Marvel but thats my opinion.

doesnt help that the only tall we are going in with is old and slow.

So.....hmmmm what to make of the changes.

In: Spargo, Jordon, Woewoedin
Out: Smith, Harmes, Chandler, Fritsch
Three forwards out, one in. Makes sense. Our forward line is doing well so may as well sure up the other lines.

I can’t see how I’m doing it again, that’s what you said.

In 2018 we played 2 tall forwards in 2 of the 3 games we played there, the 3rd game we played 3 and in everyone of those games each of the talls kicked 2 or more goals with Hogan kicking 5 and McDonald kicking 4 against the dogs.

personally i dont think smaller is better at Marvel but thats my opinion.

doesnt help that the only tall we are going in with is old and slow.

I'm getting a bruise on my forehead...

I'm not talking about just the forward line, and I'm not talking about how many goals the tall forwards kick. They benefit by the quicker lineup around the ground. We also have 2 rucks if you remember?

Again (FFS), I'm not saying - Tall forwards are useless at Marvel - I'm saying Marvel is a quick track and since 2017 we have generally picked an overall less tall/more mobile lineup and it's worked for us.

How about we leave it hey? I get the impression you're deliberately being obtuse now.

I'm getting a bruise on my forehead...

I'm not talking about just the forward line, and I'm not talking about how many goals the tall forwards kick. They benefit by the quicker lineup around the ground. We also have 2 rucks if you remember?

Again (FFS), I'm not saying - Tall forwards are useless at Marvel - I'm saying Marvel is a quick track and since 2017 we have generally picked an overall less tall/more mobile lineup and it's worked for us.

How about we leave it hey? I get the impression you're deliberately being obtuse now.
To be fair you replied to my statement regarding playing a small forward line so I assumed you were talking about specifically forwards, agree smaller around the ground for pace at Marvel is the right call my concern is around not having enough marking targets in the forward 50.

Anyway all a misunderstanding, at the end of the day hope we win but certainly have my concerns.

Also chuck some ice on that bruise 😜

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair you replied to my statement regarding playing a small forward line so I assumed you were talking about specifically forwards, agree smaller around the ground for pace at Marvel is the right call my concern is around not having enough marking targets in the forward 50.

Anyway all a misunderstanding, at the end of the day hope we win but certainly have my concerns.

Also chuck some ice on that bruise 😜

I'm still on BigFooty so just chucked a helmet on ;)

I don't love some of the players we've picked this week, but I just get why we've gone 'less tall'. Tester for Brown, reckon they're giving him a week or two to test his fitness.

Could you elaborate on this?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Have posted it before - basically, in the week after the Pies game he was rolling with a really poor attitude at training, May had words with him and then Chaplin did too, and Chaplin was none too happy apparently. That's why he was dropped that week and why I reckon he'll be traded no matter we get for him end of season.

Have posted it before - basically, in the week after the Pies game he was rolling with a really poor attitude at training, May had words with him and then Chaplin did too, and Chaplin was none too happy apparently. That's why he was dropped that week and why I reckon he'll be traded no matter we get for him end of season.

That's unbelievable. What a way to ruin your chances of cementing a spot in the team.

I'm still on BigFooty so just chucked a helmet on ;)

I don't love some of the players we've picked this week, but I just get why we've gone 'less tall'. Tester for Brown, reckon they're giving him a week or two to test his fitness.
At the very least brown needs to make a contest and get the ball to ground to give the smalls an opportunity to kick goals.

Guys, ive kept my mouth shut in regards to bad mouthing the coaching staff as he's a premiership coach but **** me wtf is GOODWIN DOING? So we lose Fritta, lose Smith and JVR still doesnt come into the team despite the fact they havent played him with another tall since like round 3 or something and he's the only one who can kick straight in the team. No Tomlinson despite him playing a ripper game against Collingwood so you'd assume Petty stays back this week. No Chandler, replaced by Spargo which is fine coz Chandler has been out of sorts but who is kicking our goals? Seriously this is fancy play syndrome if ever i've seen it, sometimes the best option is the most obvious, how about just trying JVR and BB together in the same team? Seriously, there's something to be said for having 2 talls so 1 can block, BB is not fast off the mark these days and needs a tall to block for him and JVR is fantastic at blocking. Its gotten ridiculous, this is a must win game, play the best team, instead we have what, james jordan, Taj, Hunter and Langdon so were playing 4 wingers and 1 tall fwd who's cooked. Game is lost before it's played. (Yes this is a bit of a melt but im feeling absolutely shocked at why Goodwin won't play 3 talls down back and 2 talls up fwd) Anyone able to actually shed some light on what's going on? Surely you bring in Tomlinson and play Petty forward or just do the obv move and play JVR up forward FFS???? I just cant watch another 75 inside 50s for 5 goals... :(
On a side note, what an endearingly insulting turn of phrase.

Put this on DLand, maybe someone here can explain what is really going in, cause I’m baffled.
What concerns me is that the FD seems to be chasing their tail with no carefully considered and executed plan for the forwards. For example Goody was firm that Petty would be playing forward, Tommo comes good in the backline so all seems good for the plan so they drop Tommo and push Petty back. Then they talk about two/ three talls but play one. Then they select tall in torrential rain and short under the roof.

Smacks of panic planning.

On a side note, what an endearingly insulting turn of phrase.
Mate im not trying to be polite about it, i havent said a bad word about Goodwin in 3 years but your line of credit runs out eventually and you only get by on a premiership for so long. We had something that worked in 2021, ever since the coaching department has been all over the shop. Last year they were too rigid and wouldn't play another tall up forward after TMac got injured all year until there was 5 mins left in our season and it was too late. Now this year they have been experimenting with every line up except for the obvious one which is to play the best 2 key tall fwds we can field. Enough already. Our style is to kick it long and gain territory, but we are woefully inefficient going into our 50 and maybe just maybe if they played 2 talls than can take a contested mark then kicking it long into the 50 might yield some results. We are playing for a top 4 spot next week, lose and theres a good chance we dont get back into the top 4, what has JVR done wrong this year to be in the seconds 2 weeks in a row? He goes back, kicks 4 goals, our fwd line looks horrendous without him and its obvious BB isn't near his best. Just play 2 talls up fwd already, science month is over already, play your best side. No one is seriously gonna say that JVR isnt best 22, so either play him with Petty & bring Tomlinson in or play him w BB and play Petty down back. We arent winning a premiership with Melksham at CHF. We have half a dozen years in a premiership window and they are being wasted. Every single person in the AFL points out how bad our fwd line looks, we lose our best fwd for the rest of the yr and this is the answer? Bring in a bunch of wingers? There's no sugar coating this BS, we lost to a bottom 4 side last week and this is the point of the season to start really trying to click so its time to stop f k n about. Pure and simple. We were winning games with Petty and JVR up forward so how about we go back to what works. Goodwin and the coaching department are again being super stubborn about playing the best 2 key fwds we have despite all the evidence that its what works. Its utter madness.

No JVR is really very unusual to me.
If you listen to Goodwin’s press conference it’s really clear that whatever JvR was asked to go back and work on had not yet been worked on to Goodwin’ satisfaction.

He really dodged around the questions from the media about possibility of a recall.

Given the emergencies are J.Smith, JvR, Harmes and Chandler it will surely be one of Harmes or Chandler as sub.

Mate im not trying to be polite about it, i havent said a bad word about Goodwin in 3 years but your line of credit runs out eventually and you only get by on a premiership for so long. We had something that worked in 2021, ever since the coaching department has been all over the shop. Last year they were too rigid and wouldn't play another tall up forward after TMac got injured all year until there was 5 mins left in our season and it was too late. Now this year they have been experimenting with every line up except for the obvious one which is to play the best 2 key tall fwds we can field. Enough already. Our style is to kick it long and gain territory, but we are woefully inefficient going into our 50 and maybe just maybe if they played 2 talls than can take a contested mark then kicking it long into the 50 might yield some results.
How's that going for Carlton?

Max gawns probably the best contested mark in the game and he averages 2 contested marks a game. So we're gonna throw 2 key forwards into our line up in the hope they take 2-3 contested marks combined in the fw50 and think that solves anything?

That's like 1980s thinking

That's unbelievable. What a way to ruin your chances of cementing a spot in the team.

It IS unbelievable. Sounds like the MFC is chock-full of complete*sticks. I’m not talking about Tomlinson either.

It IS unbelievable. Sounds like the MFC is chock-full of complete*sticks. I’m not talking about Tomlinson either.
Tomlinson does have a certain air about him. I’ve had a couple of brief interactions with him and I got the feel he was a bit of a fan of himself.

He wouldn’t be alone, lots of egos in a footy club.

Goodwin completely dodged a question about Tomlinson in his weekly presser prior to the GWS game.

Something odd is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back