Player Watch #17 - Harley Bennell - Fingers can now be uncrossed

Remove this Banner Ad

You'd be full of sh*t if you thought he's added even 5% more defensive side to his game haha. Coaching staff are morons for keeping him out of the side if that was the actual reason

I reckon it's his defensive running, definitely haven't noticed him tackling but he's covering the ground both ways much better.

Don't think that he's ever going to be a defensive star, but who cares.

If Burgoyne is "silk" Harley is "smooth"

Big Smooth or the Dr. of Smooth will be two of my personal pet nicknames from here on in.
I love it. I'm going to call him the Doctor for short. Very Roy and HG

I reckon it's his defensive running, definitely haven't noticed him tackling but he's covering the ground both ways much better.

Don't think that he's ever going to be a defensive star, but who cares.
He's very clearly running better both ways and impacting around the contesting. You can see it even on TV, he isn't just magically playing better than he did against Carlton and the coaches seem to have been right. I doubt they were expecting him to become a tackling machine or even that they thought he was lazy, but it's easy when you're returning from injury to 'cheat' in one direction to avoid fatiguing and he's come back with an improved ability to stay involved.

He's very clearly running better both ways and impacting around the contesting. You can see it even on TV, he isn't just magically playing better than he did against Carlton and the coaches seem to have been right. I doubt they were expecting him to become a tackling machine or even that they thought he was lazy, but it's easy when you're returning from injury to 'cheat' in one direction to avoid fatiguing and he's come back with an improved ability to stay involved.
Agreed.
Modern footy's zonal defence relies on players running back to fill space, just as much as it needs tackles, intercepts etc. It was clear early on that we had some players unwilling to run to fill that space so opposition teams were able to break down our zone and get easy entries I50. Look at the way Geelong worked the ball against us. They were patient, waiting for one of our players to get lazy. Once that happened they could find a loose man and the whole thing went to s**t for us.
The last two weeks we've been more willing to run to make those defensive positions, which has meant long, slow balls down the line which is why Gawn has been taking so many intercept marks. We're not allowing the shorter chips that then result in a kick over Gawn's head to a leading forward.

Agreed.
Modern footy's zonal defence relies on players running back to fill space, just as much as it needs tackles, intercepts etc. It was clear early on that we had some players unwilling to run to fill that space so opposition teams were able to break down our zone and get easy entries I50. Look at the way Geelong worked the ball against us. They were patient, waiting for one of our players to get lazy. Once that happened they could find a loose man and the whole thing went to sh*t for us.
The last two weeks we've been more willing to run to make those defensive positions, which has meant long, slow balls down the line which is why Gawn has been taking so many intercept marks. We're not allowing the shorter chips that then result in a kick over Gawn's head to a leading forward.
yeah, if you're not holding your position on the field defensively you are very literally making your team play with 17 men for 50% of the game, no matter how good you are offensively (and he isn't yet dominating games enough to make up for that)

Has he done enough? I'm still in the affirmative for signing him up for at least another year. I think just by getting a few games he's far exceeded my expectations. He's done some nice things, but he looks off the pace in regards to the speed of the game. Will that come with time or are his calves simply not going to get him to that level required? I honestly don't know where his contract is at in regards to length etc(can we keep him on a rookie list), but just wondering if we think we've seen enough that guarantees a list spot next year? Remembering list sizes could be forced down and someone like a Toby Bedford might have to make way to hold onto him(potentially).

Has he done enough? I'm still in the affirmative for signing him up for at least another year. I think just by getting a few games he's far exceeded my expectations. He's done some nice things, but he looks off the pace in regards to the speed of the game. Will that come with time or are his calves simply not going to get him to that level required? I honestly don't know where his contract is at in regards to length etc(can we keep him on a rookie list), but just wondering if we think we've seen enough that guarantees a list spot next year? Remembering list sizes could be forced down and someone like a Toby Bedford might have to make way to hold onto him(potentially).
More like Kyle Dunkley or both of the Wagner's. Jetta and Jones might retire.

I think he has shown some potential, the question will be whether we believe DB can take him to the next level with another re season under his belt. I would like to see him get another rookie contract and have another go next year, he has the skill its just a matter of building his body back up and getting his confidence back in his body.

I reckon he has.

He's shown the class that we need - we'll give him another year or maybe two if he can string together some games towards the end of this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think considering his injury history, getting him to play a handful of games this year is an amazing achievement and more than we could have hoped for, it would be staggering to cut our losses now because you'd have to ask wtf did we think he would do

I think considering his injury history, getting him to play a handful of games this year is an amazing achievement and more than we could have hoped for, it would be staggering to cut our losses now because you'd have to ask wtf did we think he would do
100%

This year was all about showing he could get his body right and stay out of trouble. Playing a few games is/was a bonus

Next year with a full pre-season he will be expected to show that he is best 22

I agree. Amazing considering Freo couldn't get him on the park in 4 years. I'm just not sure his body is going to allow him to keep up to the pace of AFL. He looked well off it last game he played. But, his class isn't going away and maybe another offseason gets his tank in shape. Not convinced he's best 22 atm though.

I think his story has added a lot to the playing group.

You can see that they love him - when he kicked that goal against the GC, they flooded him.

He clearly loves the game and is in a place where he's doing everything he can to make the most of his career. Didn't think he would play a game for us, so it was an incredible effort to get him ready for the Carlton game and for him to play as much as he has.

Hopefully he can display his talent a bit more in the remaining games, stay injury free and hit the next pre-season with some confidence in his body.

Yeah done enough. Still has talent, another pre-season I can see him improving. Right now we barely have an injury, next year at worst Bennell would be very good depth

Yeah another year for me. The compressed schedule isn't kind to a bloke with his injury history but he has shown enough so far that he can add to the team. With another couple of games/preseason he should improve again next year, at least in terms of staying in games.
He only really needs 10-15 odd touches in our front half to be effective (a la Melk, Hannan).

We might be extremely lucky but you'd be pretty frustrated as a Freo fan if he can't get on the park for 4 years then goes to another club and has been deemed available for every game since round 2.
They look set to lose Joel Hamling at the end of the year who has cracked it at the medical staff and is after a second opinion on his injury ... so yeah, I don't think their fans would be too wrapped with the work they're doing

Its a pity there is no VFL as it would have been ideal for him to build a fitness base and try and find some form in his own time. Considering the setbacks I think he has been a pass and deserves another go.

As everyone else has said, playing and not being reinjured this year is a tick. Next year with fitness and a preseason we can judge what he is, we all know he could be the difference in any game if he gets back half of what he had. That is worth a lost spot especially ahead of guys like Wagners, Dunkley, ect

Remove this Banner Ad

Back