Delisted #17: James Stewart - Will be delisted despite having a year on his contract - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Get's his shot due to Leuy going down.

Hopefully he grabs it with two hands and runs with it!
I'd rather see him settle, go back and kick it.
He's got a sweet goal kicking action, bit of a fade, tom Hawkins style.
Would like Daniher kicking fades instead of them dirty hooks.

Liked his whole preseason, didn't set the world on fire but played his role. Hopefully will put the occasional game together where everything goes well for him, but lets not expect too much from an 18 game, key position player.

Liked his whole preseason, didn't set the world on fire but played his role. Hopefully will put the occasional game together where everything goes well for him, but lets not expect too much from an 18 game, key position player.
This, I think some people forget that while he may be the same age as Daniher due to having Patton, Cameron, Lobb (and previously McCarthy) ahead of him he hasn't had consistent game time at the top level to really accelerate his development.

I just would have thought Daniher would be the relief ruck before Stewart...
Nah. Both are crap, so send the one that isn't as good forward into the ruck.

Nah. Both are crap, so send the one that isn't as good forward into the ruck.

Yeah but JD's, marking around the ground and field kicking makes him an asset.. Also he seems to play better when his is constantly involved in the game..

Yeah but JD's, marking around the ground and field kicking makes him an asset.. Also he seems to play better when his is constantly involved in the game..
And he does that as a Centre Half Forward. If we're using fodder in the ruck (which Daniher is) I'd rather it not be our best forward.

And he does that as a Centre Half Forward. If we're using fodder in the ruck (which Daniher is) I'd rather it not be our best forward.

I still cannot believe that this argument is being had. Why would we let Daniher anywhere near the ruck?

It's a rhetorical question in the sense that there is no sensible answer that ends in him playing ruck.

Last edited:
Good to see James Stewart's kicking goals after succeeding in Western films.
1.BellBookandCandle-resized.jpg

Tell you what if Stewart can play two quarters a week at the level at which he played the first against Geelong he will be a very good player this year.

I'm surprised that posters are not more interested in a 6'5 KPF we picked up for a song tearing around the ground, taking marks putting pressure on and kicking goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tell you what if Stewart can play two quarters a week at the level at which he played the first against Geelong he will be a very good player this year.

I'm surprised that posters are not more interested in a 6'5 KPF we picked up for a song tearing around the ground, taking marks putting pressure on and kicking goals.

This!

Anyone who knows anything about football would be excited by this guy. We have been screaming out for 2 decent talls for years! now we have them!! Stewart will be a lot better than people are giving him credit for. Whenever the ball gets kicked to him defenders get nervous and he generally brings the ball to ground. This is perfect for our forward line. He's been in our system 5 mins give him time at AFL level and he will shine.

Have watched JLT 3 again and I really, really liked Stewart's first half and his game generally.

His work rate both as a lead up target and putting on pressure was excellent. He probably had 3 tackles inside 50 and another 1 or 2 - ordinarily there would have been 2 or 3 HTB decisions. Hands were good too.

Thought that we lost an important opportunity to give him a run on the ball when we used Ambrose instead. Needs to be taught to stand off his opponent and to use his athleticism. He's not going to win a lot of wrestles against AFL ruckmen.

The ability at ground level makes him the perfect compliment for Hooker and Daniher (not that Daniher is an issue in this regard). Just need to get him up to scratch for 20% ruck time. Being able to play three genuine talls without being slow is a massive advantage for a side.

Interesting to see James develop this year.

I think Woosha's decision not to play him against Hawks was vindicated after it looked likely he may get a game based on solid JLT form and a perceived lack of talls with Luey going down.

I'm sure he will be looking at the form of the mosquito fleet and also a great performance from McKernan and realising he's going to have to work hard to get into the team.

I know its early and I have no doubt team balance, form and injuries will play a part on on how many games he will play, but I think this is great challenge for him and can only benefit the bombers in the long run.

Would really go a long way to team structure for the next five years if this guy can stand up and demand a spot in the forward line.

Accept that, historically, Dermie has not been a great judge of talent but he gave Jim a huge rap on Crunch Time today.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back