Delisted #17: James Stewart - Will be delisted despite having a year on his contract - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

You really think clubs were offering two years. How much he cost us 6 years ago?

As a 22 year old with potential he cost pick 77 but we believe clubs were offering 2 year contracts as a injury prone 28 year old fringe best 22 in a bottom 6 team.

We are dodo clones on this board and over rate our own players a lot.

Bigfooty board is worse than the club with thinking things through.

The only justification for two years is club is desperate and any resemblance of leadership is over compensated.

I’m not really sure that james’ historical cost is a factor in this negotiation, particularly when it relates to contract length.

If you can get him to agree to one year you take it, if his manager pushes you on it you’ve got to decide if you want to call his bluff or get it done and move onto the real list problems.

Can’t work out why you would even waste energy worrying about it.

I’m not really sure that james’ historical cost is a factor in this negotiation, particularly when it relates to contract length.

If you can get him to agree to one year you take it, if his manager pushes you on it you’ve got to decide if you want to call his bluff or get it done and move onto the real list problems.

Can’t work out why you would even waste energy worrying about it.

But then why low ball Heppell? He provides leadership we lack and actually got up for games.

But then why low ball Heppell? He provides leadership we lack and actually got up for games.

The club is likely wanting a new captain- hence Heppell receiving only a 1 year offer. Take away Heppell’s ‘leadership’ factor - which some may question anyway - and he’s a slow half back flanker/winger who turns 31 and looks in decline

Stewart is a big bodied forward who has kicked 37 goals in 27 games in 2017/18, could probably do it again if played as a forward, provides depth as a key defender option and is likely coming into his prime..

See the difference?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t think leadership is the key factor in holding Stewart, I think it is the fact that he is a mature KPP player. If he walks you probably need to recruit to cover him, and the options are limited.

Heppell would be missed for his leadership, but easily replaced for everything else.

Besides, you low ball Heppell because you think you will keep him on one, and don’t low ball Stewart because you expect to lose him without two.

I don’t think leadership is the key factor in holding Stewart, I think it is the fact that he is a mature KPP player. If he walks you probably need to recruit to cover him, and the options are limited.

Heppell would be missed for his leadership, but easily replaced for everything else.

Besides, you low ball Heppell because you think you will keep him on one, and don’t low ball Stewart because you expect to lose him without two.

Stewart may also very well be on not a lot of money x 2 years.

Likely we'll need to call on him in 2023 as mature KPP depth. Less likely in 2024, but unlikely it's going to blow up our list position in keeping him on it.

I love how accepting of mediocrity we are. These and Devon smith list decisions don't matter comments

Apart from could use these spots and wasted cash to try for a jack gunstan, Callan ward, Phil Davis.

Plenty of other options that are better players, provide more leadership and coaching.

We literally wasted a couple of hundred thousand dollars on Devon smith and a 2024 list spot on Stewart. Plus decreased flexibility.

I love how accepting of mediocrity we are. These and Devon smith list decisions don't matter comments

Apart from could use these spots and wasted cash to try for a jack gunstan, Callan ward, Phil Davis.

Plenty of other options that are better players, provide more leadership and coaching.

We literally wasted a couple of hundred thousand dollars on Devon smith and a 2024 list spot on Stewart. Plus decreased flexibility.

Another poor take.

Literally everyone criticised the 2 years for Smith, not sure how that's "accepting of mediocrity".

As far as the players you listed, who's to say we didn't try for Gunston or Ward? And if you'd watched Davis at all this year you'd realise that he's about as broken as Smith and we made the right call.

You make some hilariously inaccurate rants.

The problem we have, as always, is that you can't sack everybody because you can't replace all of them with someone who is actually better. We've already lost 5 off the main list and three more are exploring options, plus one rookie delisted and another that we can't keep unless no one else wants him. Any further cuts is going to mean taking draft picks in the 90s, unless you can trade them for something better.

If I were to take a stab I'd say they're looking for him to provide some reliability and experience to the forward line in particular. As far as reliable, experienced tall forwards go we've basically got Peter Wright. That's it. Hurley retired, Francis is on his way out, Jones and Stringer are injury prone and not really KPFs anyway, Baldwin has played four games, and anyone else you can think of is yet to debut.

Even looking at the smalls doesn't give a lot of reliable and experienced vibes. Walla and Smith retired. Snelling and Wanganeen are injury prone. Perkins and Langford aren't really forwards. Then there's Guelfi, Ham (on his way out), Durham, Martin, Menzie, and apparently D'Ambrosio. The only blokes here with more than 50 games are Langford (107) and Guelfi (83), and Langford has been injury prone too.

Typing all of this out makes me wonder what ******* planet the board and Adrian Dodoro have been living on. But regardless of that, if the choice is between mediocre and shithouse then mediocre is going to win 9 times out of 10. Though perhaps shithouse would get us a swathe of priority picks... you never know.

And there's no reason why we can't keep Stewart and also get Gunston, Ward, Davis (if they're remotely interested). There's plenty of cash and list spots already available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Literally everyone criticised the 2 years for Smith, not sure how that's "accepting of mediocrity".

As far as the players you listed, who's to say we didn't try for Gunston or Ward? And if you'd watched Davis at all this year you'd realise that he's about as broken as Smith and we made the right call.

You make some hilariously inaccurate rants.
Please bring up the smith chat when he signed for two. Was the same conversation here as most saying two is fine.

I watched Stewart and he is cooked. I think I'll probably take the convos to the main board from now and we can see how much we over rate players and are generous with list mgmt.

I'd love you to show me which takes have proven incorrect lately. Guess I'll just wait 6-12 months when we still suck and Stewart is cooked.

Zerk im happy to admit I'll probably be proven wrong on but still not fully sold.

Two years.

It is amazing to me how often this club fails to see things that are obvious to supporters.

Surely the right play here was to wait and see how the season unfolds for Dev (and his knees) before extending.

Was he that good? The one time I really noticed him individually, my thought was 'gee he's become a dumb footballer'.

Edit: Genuinely asking.

I mean, why?

Strange. Couldn't we have waited to see if he actually plays out the year?

Nevertheless, he's important for developing our younger players. With Zaharakis near his end, Smith is a player we'd look to.

Why now? Why not retain some flexibility?

He's not the player he was. This is the start of the 3rd season.

I wish all AFL player salaries were public knowledge so we could REALLY go off half cocked about list decisions

The sense that Dev might have been cheap is softening my rage

Don't feel strongly about it either way. Ideally you'd wait a bit longer to see if he's still capable of performing to a decent standard consistently, but if it's on a reduced salary and for some reason a necessary domino for other signings you can justify it.

IF he can't get back to near his best consistently (which I think is likely), then I could see him finding a niche as a semi-regular medical sub. His skillset and experience should lend itself to being able to make an impact and not playing full games every week could help his knee.

There is on-field stuff that we can all see is working or not working.

We can see that Smiths knees aren’t working.

Has he been best 22 though since his return?

Moot point, he’s been re-signed.

Please bring up the smith chat when he signed for two. Was the same conversation here as most saying two is fine.

I watched Stewart and he is cooked. I think I'll probably take the convos to the main board from now and we can see how much we over rate players and are generous with list mgmt.

I'd love you to show me which takes have proven incorrect lately. Guess I'll just wait 6-12 months when we still suck and Stewart is cooked.

Zerk im happy to admit I'll probably be proven wrong on but still not fully sold.
Plenty of people were criticising it, as above.

Stewart has his injury issues and as I said earlier in the thread, I would have preferred a 1 year with an achievable trigger. And your rant about being "generous" with our list management, I've already dispelled that,

As far as the ones I've proven incorrect, justcheck out the Tex Wanganeen thread again, it was quite humerous.

Of course you aren't. Because that would mean admitting you were wrong.

Plenty of people were criticising it, as above.

Stewart has his injury issues and as I said earlier in the thread, I would have preferred a 1 year with an achievable trigger. And your rant about being "generous" with our list management, I've already dispelled that,

As far as the ones I've proven incorrect, justcheck out the Tex Wanganeen thread again, it was quite humerous.

Of course you aren't. Because that would mean admitting you were wrong.
My post was from April 2021! 😆

We have literally one mature key fwd in the whole team and people are complaining about keeping a big strong capable (if not world-beating) 29YO key fwd on the list for a couple of years? He’d be costing peanuts in a salary cap with plenty of space, and there’s a good 5-6 players you’d ship off before even looking at Stewart. As for injury history - how long has Sydney kept Sam Reid on their list despite playing about 20 minutes per year for his whole career? Hasn’t hurt them and sure didn’t hurt them in the final against Melbourne the other night.

If you’re fixing a raft on the water you don’t rip off all the panels at once and then start replacing them. Just look at North Melb for evidence of what happens when you do that. List turnover is incremental and we should be working to stay (lol) competitive while that takes place.

Keeping Stewart is a no-brainer and giving him two years doesn’t hurt anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Steady progress with plantar fascia foot injury, several weeks away
Former first-round pick Nik Cox (back) and the versatile James Stewart (foot) are both progressing steadily through their respective rehab programs but remain several weeks away from being ready to return to full training.

plantar fascia injury, 4-6 weeks away according to the injury update graphic
Seems strange the more you think about it.

Not best 22, we already had Reid and Cox developing and were interested in drafting Hayes, yet still gave him 2 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back