Delisted #17: James Stewart - Will be delisted despite having a year on his contract - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

He'd be good cannon fodder for a little while.

Plus with the midfield not dying in the arse every week he could afford to play to his strengths which is just being proactive and trying to read the ball in the air.

Reckon the time has passed though

I've seen it suggested a few times, but does anyone know if you can delist a contracted player without their consent?

I know we negotiated it with Devon, but his was a degenerative knee issue - Stewart has had a series of different unrelated issues that he might believe he has seen the back of.
Yes you can, you just have to pay them out.

It's clause 17 of the CBA (18 is also interesting).

I've seen it suggested a few times, but does anyone know if you can delist a contracted player without their consent?

I know we negotiated it with Devon, but his was a degenerative knee issue - Stewart has had a series of different unrelated issues that he might believe he has seen the back of.

You definitely have to still pay them, and that money definitely still comes under the cap.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if they also take up a list spot as well? My guess is no, because if they did, then...well, you haven't "delisted" them have you.

But I'm not certain.

You definitely have to still pay them, and that money definitely still comes under the cap.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if they also take up a list spot as well? My guess is no, because if they did, then...well, you haven't "delisted" them have you.

But I'm not certain.
You delist them first and then terminate their contract because they've been delisted. Then pay termination payments. Termination payments come under the TPP.

That clip you posted of Stewart is like posting the Langford running past the ball to the bench, I bet it'll never happen again.

Yeah instead he'll handball it to the opposition in their own goal square.

He has the worst two low effort plays I've ever seen from someone in the back 50.

Yes you can, you just have to pay them out.

It's clause 17 of the CBA (18 is also interesting).

20 of the most mind-blowing clauses of the CBA

you’ll never believe clause 5!

Listed as TBC on the injury report
plantar fascia foot injury, now listed as 2 weeks away

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Completing some of main training, near the end of rehab program
He's alive!
In a welcome sight for Bombers fans though, midfielder Will Setterfield and key defender James Stewart were both present at Essendon’s main session on Tuesday, completing competitive running drills as they complete the tail end of their rehab programs.

I don't think many will agree with me but I think he could be a wildcard to come into the seniors in a few weeks if he plays good VFL footy. I rate him higher than Weideman and if Stringer is not going to be fully fit, then I think Stewart would be a good option. His VFL form late last year as a forward and then his game against Norf in the AFL was impressive. If he can recapture that then I can see him being considered for senior selection.

More than anything - I’d like him to get some game time and do well for his own sake

Showed some great promise for a moment there and has had a horrible run of injury.

More than anything - I’d like him to get some game time and do well for his own sake

Showed some great promise for a moment there and has had a horrible run of injury.

I say keep him around too. From memory he played well enough when on the park.
He also has the size and weight to play on the monster forwards, such a player we don't have currently.

Maybe can eek out him playing a few matches over the next 2 years.

I say keep him around too. From memory he played well enough when on the park.
He also has the size and weight to play on the monster forwards, such a player we don't have currently.

Maybe can eek out him playing a few matches over the next 2 years.
That is the issue. He is never on the park.

That is the issue. He is never on the park.
I meant we can use Stewart as our Plan B player, to roll out when our Plan A player is injured or drop in form.
At the moment, Stewart is all we have in that position. We have no backup at all.

We have tried and failed with having stick figure defenders, or rucks, playing on the monster forwards.

This would continue with the trend of Essendon slowly building a reserve of players. We now have a reserve of rucks, ball winners and tall forwards.

I meant we can use Stewart as our Plan B player, to roll out when our Plan A player is injured or drop in form.
At the moment, Stewart is all we have in that position. We have no backup at all.

We have tried and failed with having stick figure defenders, or rucks, playing on the monster forwards.

This would continue with the trend of Essendon slowly building a reserve of players. We now have a reserve of rucks, ball winners and tall forwards.
You can not get a kick from the grandstand when you are injured. What is the point of plan B if he can not play more than 5 games a season . He has hardly played VFL either . I agree as far as big body KP players but you can not hang your hat on a bloke who misses more than 10 weeks a year over most seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back