Past Callum Sinclair - retired 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

ZslCYQFE.jpg

Callum Sinclair

Player Profile

Callum Sinclair was traded from the West Coast Eagles to the Sydney Swans ahead of season 2016 and has since played vital roles as a key forward and ruckman. Over his first two seasons at the Swans he played primarily as a forward as Kurt Tippett and Sam Naismith carried the ruck load, but the retirement of Tippett and Naismith’s ACL rupture left him with the chief ruck duties in 2018 and 2019. That was until he dislocated his right shoulder twice in Round 15, an injury that ended his season. Sinclair banked a stellar 2020 pre-season campaign and has a burning desire to play every game at the top level this year. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (West Coast) No. 12; 2014 AFL Draft rookie elevation (West Coast); 2015 AFL Draft traded by West Coast for Lewis Jetta.

Callum Sinclair

DOB: 23 September 1989
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2014
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Port Melb (VFL)/Subiaco (WAFL)/WCE

Last edited:
Sinclair's hit out stats are misleading because they mostly go to the opposition. This was really evident against Carlton in the first quarter. After that I think he realised he needed to compensate with his work around the ground. Full marks to him, no-one in the team tries Harder.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Callum has a hit-out to advantage % of 25.6, placing him 16th in the league amongst listed ruckmen (including backup guys like Dawson Simpson). So he’s not outstanding, merely serviceable, but he’s ahead of Jacobs, Kreuzer, Witts, Lycett, Stanley & Roughead.

(The leader (Lobb) only has a hit-out to advantage % of 37.4, fwiw)

Perhaps a better measure of effectiveness is hit-out win percentage.
Sinclair’s hit-out win % places him 19th among listed rucks. So again, pretty mediocre, but still ahead of Kreuzer & Nankervis, amongst others.

Looking at output, which can be distorted by the number of stoppages a team may produce:
In terms of average number of hit-outs to advantage per game, he’s, again 16th, ahead of Kreuzer and Nankervis and Geelong’s double-act.

But you could throw a blanket over 11th-19th. All average between 7-9 hitouts to advantage per game, so there’s not huge differences in output.
It’s only guys like Gawn (17.3 per game) and Sandi (14.2 per game) that really outperform their peers.

Anyway, Sinclair isn’t a terrible tap ruck. There are a few elite rucks who outperform everyone else. In the next group, Sinclair performs about as well as most other teams first tap ruckmen, as they’re all pretty interchangeable, but he’s towards the bottom end of that group.

Last edited:
It's round 11 & this far in to his come back year Natanui needs to be playing 70% gametime.
Naitanui is a power athlete with no tank. Always needed a ruck buddy (Cox, Sinclair, now Lycett). If he plays 70% plus he eventually breaks down. WCE simply cant play one ruck with Naitanui in the side coz he is only good for 5-6 min stints. The guy is a freak player but with limitations.

Callum has a hit-out to advantage % of 25.6, placing him 16th in the league amongst listed ruckmen (including backup guys like Dawson Simpson). So he’s not outstanding, merely serviceable, but he’s ahead of Jacobs, Kreuzer, Witts, Lycett, Stanley & Roughead.

(The leader (Lobb) only has a hit-out to advantage % of 37.4, fwiw)

Perhaps a better measure of effectiveness is hit-out win percentage.
Sinclair’s hit-out win % places him 19th among listed rucks. So again, pretty mediocre, but still ahead of Kreuzer & Nankervis, amongst others.

Looking at output, which can be distorted by the number of stoppages a team may produce:
In terms of average number of hit-outs to advantage per game, he’s, again 16th, ahead of Kreuzer and Nankervis and Geelong’s double-act.

But you could throw a blanket over 11th-19th. All average between 7-9 hitouts to advantage per game, so there’s not huge differences in output.
It’s only guys like Gawn (17.3 per game) and Sandi (14.2 per game) that really outperform their peers.

Anyway, Sinclair isn’t a terrible tap ruck. There are a few elite rucks who outperform everyone else. In the next group, Sinclair performs about as well as most other teams first tap ruckmen, as they’re all pretty interchangeable, but he’s towards the bottom end of that group.
The key is he's not actually a number 1 tap style ruckman. He's always been the 2nd even at the eagles where he'd occasionally give nat a chop out, otherwise he was used as an asset around the ground wherever the team needed him. He is a complete footballer and at his size there aren't many better. Having a mobile tall option who is also good below his knees and puts in tackling performances like he does is a massive massive asset. Imagine we had a legitimate dominant ruckman (anyone but naismith) with sinkers running around wherever we need him. Would be the best combo in the league.

http://aflca.com.au/awards/the-aflca-champion-player-of-the-year-award/leaderboard

Sinclair polls a perfect 10 in the Coaches' votes. That makes him tied for 15th in the overall tally, ranked 3rd amongst ruckmen, and 1st amongst Swans at the halfway mark of the season.

This is the kind of award where a couple of big games can make you jump up the ladder really quickly so you need to take it with somewhat of a grain of a salt, but nevertheless, nobody in the AFL could have predicted Sinclair would be playing like this as our sole ruckman for us this year. What a fantastic year he's having.

http://aflca.com.au/awards/the-aflca-champion-player-of-the-year-award/leaderboard

Sinclair polls a perfect 10 in the Coaches' votes. That makes him tied for 15th in the overall tally, ranked 3rd amongst ruckmen, and 1st amongst Swans at the halfway mark of the season.

This is the kind of award where a couple of big games can make you jump up the ladder really quickly so you need to take it with somewhat of a grain of a salt, but nevertheless, nobody in the AFL could have predicted Sinclair would be playing like this as our sole ruckman for us this year. What a fantastic year he's having.

Probably doesn’t even have 30 votes total all other years combined!

Credit to him.

That interview after the game with richo and darcy was so awkward it was hard to watch. I think they should stop forcing players to do live television interviews. They are there to play football, that's what they're good at, not media garbage.

That interview after the game with richo and darcy was so awkward it was hard to watch. I think they should stop forcing players to do live television interviews. They are there to play football, that's what they're good at, not media garbage.
Still less awkward than those horribly scripted 46 second interviews for some stupid beer company.

NN and lycett have a lot to think about this week.

Sinclair is only behind gawn and grundy right now
They said that a lot during the game also but I can't agree, there are a few ahead of him, particularly when it comes to pure rucking. I love him and am stunned by his improvement this year and love what he's doing on the field, but as far as ruck work goes, I think he's very much in the middle of the pack.

They said that a lot during the game also but I can't agree, there are a few ahead of him, particularly when it comes to pure rucking. I love him and am stunned by his improvement this year and love what he's doing on the field, but as far as ruck work goes, I think he's very much in the middle of the pack.
The importance of ruckwork is clearly on a downward trend and obviously not high on afl coaches priorities, thats why we see the likes of rohan,towers, fyfe,grigg etc all spending time in the ruck. The value of a good tap is much less than having another contributor around the ground

The importance of ruckwork is clearly on a downward trend and obviously not high on afl coaches priorities, thats why we see the likes of rohan,towers, fyfe,grigg etc all spending time in the ruck. The value of a good tap is much less than having another contributor around the ground
I love Sinkers and as I said I think he's been brilliant for us this year - an unexpected surprise, but even around the ground I think he's behind or at the very least on par (not having a clue statistically) with Nic Nat, Paddy Ryder and Stefan Martin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Sinkers and as I said I think he's been brilliant for us this year - an unexpected surprise, but even around the ground I think he's behind or at the very least on par (not having a clue statistically) with Nic Nat, Paddy Ryder and Stefan Martin.
Far superior than nic nat around the ground. Dont get me wrong, ryder and martin are better players but on current form sinclair is ahead

Cut the pre game and halftime on field interviews/interruptions and let them focus on the game too

Just curious, what were your thoughts on Mumford? Naitanui statistically has the same profile as Mumford but with supreme athleticism. They use physicality and pressure to contribute around the ground, rather than accumulation and forward marking.

This is a fantasy related question, but also I'm genuinely curious:

Do you lot think Horse will give Sinclair a rest at some point later in the year? It seems like he's doing a lot of work on his own.

This is a fantasy related question, but also I'm genuinely curious:

Do you lot think Horse will give Sinclair a rest at some point later in the year? It seems like he's doing a lot of work on his own.

Maybe, but there is a bye week coming up and also a bye before finals. Seems to be a player that likes continuity and thus they might just keep playing him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back