Player Watch #19 Tom Lynch - It’s Official - OP Updated with Lynchmond goodness!

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Lynch has 'a lot to learn', says Tigers champion

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...arn-says-tigers-champion-20190320-p515z2.html

Boom Richmond recruit Tom Lynch’s development was stymied at Gold Coast, who failed to exploit his potential, says champion Tigers defender Alex Rance.
Rance also said Lynch and Jack Riewoldt on the Richmond forward line would be the equal of the Lance Franklin-Jarryd Roughead combination from Hawthorn’s halcyon days.

Tom Lynch's lack of polish shows up at training sometimes, says teammate Alex Rance.Credit:Justin McManus
Rance said what had surprised him about all-Australian Lynch since he arrived at Punt Road was how much he still had to learn.
‘‘Lynchy’s development [at Richmond] has shown to me the lack of development that Gold Coast had,’’ said Rance, speaking at the MCC’s footy season launch.

‘‘He’s a natural freak. Players like him and [David] Swallow and [Jaeger] O’Meara, who are just natural freaks; they were always going to shine through and be really good players.’’
But Rance imagined that there were players at Gold Coast who like him were not instant stars and are now out of the game. ‘‘[They] missed out on an opportunity because of development.
‘‘I think Gold Coast really missed the mark there. They didn’t put enough support, from a soft-cap perspective, around those players.’’

Rance said Lynch’s lack of polish still showed at training sometimes. ‘‘I even see some stuff now with Lynchy [and] I’m like, ‘Why are you doing that?’ ’’ he said.

‘‘It’s just because he’s such a freak athlete and a freak footballer that he gets through. But I think his next three years to five years will be something really special.’’
Rance said he envisaged only good for the way Lynch would work with Riewoldt, the Tigers’ star forward-in-residence. He said it was important to remember that Riewoldt’s best year, 2017, was not his most prolific, but it led to a Richmond premiership.
‘‘His selflessness and awareness reminds me a lot of the Franklin-Roughead combination,’’ he said. ‘‘Buddy was by far the more talented, but Roughy was the better architect.
‘‘Roughy could see where the space was going to be and naturally draw his player away. I think Jack can be that for Lynchy. He can give Lynchy a one-on-one with a smaller match-up.
‘‘Jack’s a very, very smart footballer, has a very good footy brain, and is very very selfless now That’s a very dangerous combo, and I’m really excited.’’

After a limited pre-season, Lynch has been picked to make his Richmond debut in tonight’s season-opener against Carlton before an expected crowd near to 90,000.
Rance said it might take him a while to adapt.
‘‘He’s probably only played out there twice in his career,’’ said Rance, nodding towards the MCG arena.
‘‘It’s going to be 10 times the crowd he’s used to playing in front of. A lot of things will go into his nerves. But I am confident, he’s an all-Australian. He’s a fantastic player.’’
The match also will be Rance’s 200th.

fmd Rance .

I honestly have no problem with rance speaking his mind, my problem is that for someone who is obviously very intelligent he really stumbles over when to and when not to say certain things.

I think Lynch has probably known Rance long enough now to get where he's coming from, however start of his first season, day before his first game in new colours not the best time to say stuff like that.

The poor guy was probably already nervous enough.

Cannot wait to see what damage Tom and Jack can do together!
I remember the richo and nathan brown combo and hiw good was it before browny had that horrible leg injury. The jack and lynch show could be one off the all time highlights at the richmond footy club.
Teams will find it difficult to double team both jack and lynch. You then add to that a martin, caddy or maybe even balta as a third marking target and its difficult to defend to if the ball transitions quickly into the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No wonder JR could not get along with you rance!
They’re both very opinionated and both don’t hold back. Lol

In all seriousness I hope to god Lynch at least had some idea of what was going to go down in that Rance interview.

Punt Road could be very awkward today. Lol

Tom Lynch has 'a lot to learn', says Tigers champion

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...arn-says-tigers-champion-20190320-p515z2.html

Boom Richmond recruit Tom Lynch’s development was stymied at Gold Coast, who failed to exploit his potential, says champion Tigers defender Alex Rance.
Rance also said Lynch and Jack Riewoldt on the Richmond forward line would be the equal of the Lance Franklin-Jarryd Roughead combination from Hawthorn’s halcyon days.

Tom Lynch's lack of polish shows up at training sometimes, says teammate Alex Rance.Credit:Justin McManus
Rance said what had surprised him about all-Australian Lynch since he arrived at Punt Road was how much he still had to learn.
‘‘Lynchy’s development [at Richmond] has shown to me the lack of development that Gold Coast had,’’ said Rance, speaking at the MCC’s footy season launch.

‘‘He’s a natural freak. Players like him and [David] Swallow and [Jaeger] O’Meara, who are just natural freaks; they were always going to shine through and be really good players.’’
But Rance imagined that there were players at Gold Coast who like him were not instant stars and are now out of the game. ‘‘[They] missed out on an opportunity because of development.
‘‘I think Gold Coast really missed the mark there. They didn’t put enough support, from a soft-cap perspective, around those players.’’

Rance said Lynch’s lack of polish still showed at training sometimes. ‘‘I even see some stuff now with Lynchy [and] I’m like, ‘Why are you doing that?’ ’’ he said.

‘‘It’s just because he’s such a freak athlete and a freak footballer that he gets through. But I think his next three years to five years will be something really special.’’
Rance said he envisaged only good for the way Lynch would work with Riewoldt, the Tigers’ star forward-in-residence. He said it was important to remember that Riewoldt’s best year, 2017, was not his most prolific, but it led to a Richmond premiership.
‘‘His selflessness and awareness reminds me a lot of the Franklin-Roughead combination,’’ he said. ‘‘Buddy was by far the more talented, but Roughy was the better architect.
‘‘Roughy could see where the space was going to be and naturally draw his player away. I think Jack can be that for Lynchy. He can give Lynchy a one-on-one with a smaller match-up.
‘‘Jack’s a very, very smart footballer, has a very good footy brain, and is very very selfless now That’s a very dangerous combo, and I’m really excited.’’

After a limited pre-season, Lynch has been picked to make his Richmond debut in tonight’s season-opener against Carlton before an expected crowd near to 90,000.
Rance said it might take him a while to adapt.
‘‘He’s probably only played out there twice in his career,’’ said Rance, nodding towards the MCG arena.
‘‘It’s going to be 10 times the crowd he’s used to playing in front of. A lot of things will go into his nerves. But I am confident, he’s an all-Australian. He’s a fantastic player.’’
The match also will be Rance’s 200th.
I get it he's a freak

After the last year I reckon Tim Lunch can spot a beat up article when he sees one. With Rance’s work with the backline and his coaching biz, his heart seems to be in people development. I’d take a guess and say that’s the angle he was coming from. The headline without context will get clicks tho so they were always going to go with that!

Just read the article for the first time after reading the comments here and was expecting a OMG moment.....................but i finished reading going " what's everyone up in arms about "

Nothing wrong with anything he said, just said what everyone says and thinks about Gold Coast and is excited for the Jack and Tom show.

Last edited:
I think all Rance is really doing is indirectly welcoming Lynch and conveying the belief the players have full confidence in Lynch and his ability to progress going forward to Lynch and the fans.

At the same time this is RFC, things get a little more public so the limelight is part of the environment he will need to get used to...if not already

Just the article for the first time after reading the comments here and was expecting a OMG moment.....................but i finished reading going " what's everyone up in arms about "

Nothing wrong with anything he said, just said what everyone says and thinks about Gold Coast and is excited for the Jack and Tom show.
Beat me to it👍 Couldn’t have said it better myself

A bit of Big Footy Page Envy?

If you take as though he’s speaking to the fans I like it and it sorta fits with the statement he made on the couch last year.
At the end of the day they are all accountable to each other, the jumper, club and members, coiterie and others.
Every bugger deserves a fair go but we are the best club and team in the comp and to be blunt....it’s a days work for a days pay so to speak.
We don’t need a Tom Boyd situation at our club they’ve all got a responsability to improve themselves and each other.

...thats me little soap box moment over.

Just read the article for the first time after reading the comments here and was expecting a OMG moment.....................but i finished reading going " what's everyone up in arms about "

If I recall correctly just about every interview with Tom Lynch after he officially became a tiger had him mentioning how much he was looking forward to learning from Jack and how Tom never really had anyone to teach him so far in his career. Sounds to me like Tom Lynch would be the last person to have any surprise/shock/false indignation about something he himself has already spoken about.

rance is smart, he could be sending a number of GC players a little message......Come to RFC to realise your full potential? Me likey!...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back