+2 for the 2012 umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 19, 2011
Moorabin
AFL Club
St Kilda
Its only been 2 games but there's a noticeable improvement in the umpiring.
One thing I noticed was how they stopped paying over the shoulder free's when the ball carrier takes possesion and ducks into a tackle or head butts an opponent. That resulted in a real improvement in game flow.
It makes sense too, if they reward players for ducking, they continue to do it. It meant the umpires were almost promoting the duck.

I hope this correction in umpiring continues through out the season... Maybe they have realised this and made a correction to the way they interperet the rule. It makes sense, more stoppages gives more time for players to get to the contest. It definitely improved the flow of the game last night and as a result kept the players spread, less congestion and more scoring which is what we all want to see. Lets hope they keep it up.

Besides them blatantly trying to get Collingwood back in the game last night, they were ok I suppose.

Despite there being 3 games already this season, OP is spot on. Of course we are always going to see wrong decisions and of course we're always going to get supporters who think their team got a raw deal, but it's great to see the way the game has been umpired so far this season.

I will grant you the improvement in not paying the head duck but players are still dropping it without penalty and you can still get a free by pushing it back under some sucker on the ground who has no control over the ball. I just can't believe they still reward the guy on top for that.

I disagree with the head duck improving. Happened at least 3 times last night.
The one I most remember was Sinclair just crashing straight into Sewell, and got the free.

Incorrect disposal still isn't paid properly though.

Other than that, they have been pretty good I suppose. Maybe the teams have just played games where there haven't been many free kicks to give, though.
I'll wait for a few more games to pass any sort of judgement.

There have been some howlers missed already, and I know the backman have a hard enough job as it is, but gee the umps have missed a lot of head high contact on tall forwards already in just 3 games.

I am really happy with the goal line video review system too. I've seen it in action twice now and it works great. No real delays and the right decisions made.

Also it takes less time that the umpires getting all the boundary umpires involved.

There have been some howlers missed already, and I know the backman have a hard enough job as it is, but gee the umps have missed a lot of head high contact on tall forwards already in just 3 games.

And on defenders. Jolly elbows Boumann in the head last night, then clearly drops the mark. Gets a free shot at goal from 20 out almost directly in front anyway.

Knew it wouldn't take long for Hawthorn fans to start whinging.

Back to the OP, I agree with one exception - the holding the ball interpretations.

How many times last night did players just drop or incorrectly dispose of the ball and get away with it?

Then of course a player gets stuck under a pack with no chance of getting rid of it and he gets pinged. Seemed even worse than last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they just stop paying the really incidental stuff and pay the obvious free kicks, consistently, I reckon you'll find happy supporters.

I LOVED the fact that there were hardly any stoppages in the third quarter last night.

I will grant you the improvement in not paying the head duck but players are still dropping it without penalty and you can still get a free by pushing it back under some sucker on the ground who has no control over the ball. I just can't believe they still reward the guy on top for that.

the head duck is being replaced by not paying arm chops and push in the back, still poor

Credit where it's due, they haven't been anywhere near as intrusive as they usually are at the start of a season (though the pathetic early free to Vickery had me swearing at them!).

The only real howler I can remember from the first two games was Franklin getting that ridiculous chopping the arms free kick last night.

I reckon they've missed a few incorrect disposals, but no flaming obvious ones.

Seem to have been letting the game go, which is good.

The holding the ball interpretation still continues to get worse. The AFL hates having ball ups because it stops the 'flow' they are so desperate to create, so be prepared to get pinged pretty much any time you end up as the last person with the ball in a tackle.

Also, Tyrone Vickery's free last night is probably the worst free kick paid in the history of the game.

I thought Thursday nights game the umps were whistle happy and reactionary to players doing some staging. Overall last night the tenancy was to let the players play and pay the ones that mattered and they umpired quite well.

Week 1 I thought they had a better second half after been a bit to keen to pounce in the first half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back