Player Watch #2 Hayden McLean - re-signed end 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

bKHqmfVe.jpg

Hayden McLean

Player Profile

Pre-season supplementary list rules allowed the Sydney Swans to sign Hayden McLean in March 2019, and while injury ruled out the key-position player for seven of the first 10 NEAFL games of the season, he’d respond in commanding fashion. The former Sandringham Dragons skipper made his AFL debut as Sydney met Fremantle in Round 18, 2019, which saw him battle imposing ruck trio Aaron Sandilands, Sean Darcy and Rory Lobb, as well as a parochial Optus Stadium crowd. Coach John Longmire praised McLean’s debut performance and he finished the season with four AFL games beside his name. The 197-centimetre, 93-kilogram giant is chasing consistent AFL selection in 2020. Draft history: 2019 pre-season supplementary rookie selection

Hayden McLean

DOB:20 January 1999
DRAFT:2018
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/St Bede's Coll (Vic)/ Sand U18/Sand (VFL)

Last edited:
Was a fan from his first game as an undersized and unfit ruck. Won quite a few clearances and showed intelligence and toughness.

My sentiments exactly. I've been on the bandwagon since game 1. He has that toughness about his game we really lacked when he debuted.

He's not the most agile, but you work to his strengths and he'll get the job done. And that's exactly what we've seen this season.

The upside is that his positioning and body work will only get better. His kicking has been a real strength, one of the most reliable kicks for goal.

Star in the making!!

He is also slowly building his tank but still needs work so keep him close to goals. Play him as an old school full forward and oppositions will need to keep a big man back with him.

I think you're underselling him. He's built a tank. You can tick that off. I think I read in his last game he clocked more Kms than anyone on the ground. It was evident watching him in the time trials this pre-season too, where he was keeping up with and even outperforming some mid types.

I think you're underselling him. He's built a tank. You can tick that off. I think I read in his last game he clocked more Kms than anyone on the ground. It was evident watching him in the time trials this pre-season too, where he was keeping up with and even outperforming some mid types.
100%. His next task is to improve his craft and his agility. He's steadily improving to a good level.

Welcome Callipygian to Swans board :)

Hard work and determination personified.

Hi Swans fan, apologies for the intrusion, I come in peace.

I was very impressed by McLean's games against Geelong and Collingwood earlier in the year, as you all were on here too.

Looks a world beater at times, and out of his depth in others - as most developing key position players do.

Just curious to see where he is at at the moment, dropped after Round 11 - was the unused medi sub this past round. Uncontracted, still a rookie listed player (at the moment at least) and former Sandy Dragons captain.

I'm sure the Swans would love to keep him given your aging KPF stocks (Buddy, S Reid) - and I'm sure you'll all tell me to nick off - but what would his trade value be if he were to request a trade?

Very keen on him as a Casboult replacement improvement at 2nd ruck/key fwd.

I was very impressed by McLean's games against Geelong and Collingwood earlier in the year, as you all were on here too.

Looks a world beater at times, and out of his depth in others - as most developing key position players do.

Just curious to see where he is at at the moment, dropped after Round 11 - was the unused medi sub this past round. Uncontracted, still a rookie listed player (at the moment at least) and former Sandy Dragons captain.

I'm sure the Swans would love to keep him given your aging KPF stocks (Buddy, S Reid) - and I'm sure you'll all tell me to nick off - but what would his trade value be if he were to request a trade?

If he keeps coming along I think he will stay. Might be slightly behind Amarty as a 2nd ruck and behind McDonald as a FF.

I think a 2nd rounder. Others might be happy with a 3rd though

I for one hope he stays. He showed up well in a few games and covers the ground well. Reliable kick too. Sorry, had to get that in. Once Bud and Reid go he will be 24 and ready to rock. Looks more a FF type with McDonald a roaming CHF and Amartey a mobile third tall and ruck cut out.
Doubt very much we'd be pushing him out the door.

If a club roles up with a truck of money and promises of AFL footy he'll leave but if it's a lateral move to another club I can't see him leaving.

I'd be surprised if we don't offer him another contract at this stage, he's still every chance of being a permanent fixture in our 22

If he keeps coming along I think he will stay. Might be slightly behind Amarty as a 2nd ruck and behind McDonald as a FF.

I think a 2nd rounder. Others might be happy with a 3rd though

I’d be pretty happy with a third to be honest, second would be a dream.

McLean has some footy nous, very strong , a pretty good contested mark and set shot. He certainly gives his all.

But personally I think his limited athleticism will count against him. If you put the ball on his head he will often mark it and if the ground ball is within his reach he might well be clever enough to tap it out to advantage but outside of that he is too slow and not agile enough to have a consistent impact on the game.

I’d be open to keeping him on the list if there aren’t other opportunities for him (as I think he is honest enough backup) but I think he will struggle to carve out a significant AFL career.

Happy to be proven wrong!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I share the general sentiments that McLean is expendable, but I still hope we keep him, if only because by next year, he will be one of only three Swans on the list who are young key forward prospects. I think he is the lesser of those three - McDonald ahead of him in pure skill and ability; Amartey offers more athletically and positionally - so will likely never be more than depth, not called upon unless required. But I think our 2020 season showed what can happen if your depth isn't strong enough and you have to start moving key players into different positions when s**t hits the fan.

If McDonald or Amartey were to go down with injury in the future, the last thing we wanna do is have to move a Blakey back into the forward line; or play a Dawson deep forward, or move McCartin forward because we're that desperate for forwards who can play at the level again. I reckon what's worked so well for us this year is we've been able to keep our structure in the forward line in-tact regardless of whose been available. When Logan went out, McLean came in; when McLean went out, Amartey came in.

I’d be pretty happy with a third to be honest, second would be a dream.

McLean has some footy nous, very strong , a pretty good contested mark and set shot. He certainly gives his all.

But personally I think his limited athleticism will count against him. If you put the ball on his head he will often mark it and if the ground ball is within his reach he might well be clever enough to tap it out to advantage but outside of that he is too slow and not agile enough to have a consistent impact on the game.

I’d be open to keeping him on the list if there aren’t other opportunities for him (as I think he is honest enough backup) but I think he will struggle to carve out a significant AFL career.

Happy to be proven wrong!

I agree with all of that. I would add that one of McLean's great strengths is his impressive tank. He covers a lot of miles in a game and thereby keeps his defender accountable. He also has leadership credentials - he was vice-captain for Vic Metro in his draft year, as I recall. Unfortunately not very agile and not much of a ruck. I think we wouldn't be eager to trade him because of our lack of KPP depth. But if he is offered more opportunity else where then I imagine we would do our best to facilitate a deal. Perhaps a pick in the 40s?

PezzDogg95, Blues third rounder might do the job. Would you include Matt Kennedy in a trade? Didn't you delist and redraft him last season, and he had no suitors? We could use some inside mid depth - but preferably not someone with a burst of speed (we've got a few slower inside players already: JPK, Parker, Hewett, Mills) - and he's a NSW(ish) boy. Has he got any pace?

Thi
22yo KPF with a bag of 4 under his belt and a proven tank.

Also has some go about him.

We should try to hang on to him and if not, second round at worst.

Talls don't grow on trees. Especially tough ones.
This post could have been about Jesse White. At that point he’d played 70 or so games and kicked around 70 goals. He had 2 bags of 4. We got pick 44 for him.

I’d be very surprised if we get a second round pick for a tall who can’t get a senior game.

If someone else wants him and are prepared to give him game time then we will let him go cheapish.

Reality is how does he get a game next year? Buddy will be around , Logan will play most games you’d think, Amartey has been re-signed and will take Reid’s minutes if he moves on.

Paddy might even be on the list and would have to be considered a better forward option than McLean (who they clearly have no interest in rucking) if we don’t need him down back.

I just don’t really see a spot opening for him and I feel like he isn’t far off his ceiling so is unlikely to push others out.

I don’t see why he would want to wait until he is 24 (he is 23 in January) to find out whether a spot will open up for him then…

I agree with all of that. I would add that one of McLean's great strengths is his impressive tank. He covers a lot of miles in a game and thereby keeps his defender accountable. He also has leadership credentials - he was vice-captain for Vic Metro in his draft year, as I recall. Unfortunately not very agile and not much of a ruck. I think we wouldn't be eager to trade him because of our lack of KPP depth. But if he is offered more opportunity else where then I imagine we would do our best to facilitate a deal. Perhaps a pick in the 40s?

PezzDogg95, Blues third rounder might do the job. Would you include Matt Kennedy in a trade? Didn't you delist and redraft him last season, and he had no suitors? We could use some inside mid depth - but preferably not someone with a burst of speed (we've got a few slower inside players already: JPK, Parker, Hewett, Mills) - and he's a NSW(ish) boy. Has he got any pace?
McLean's lack of agility is a bit of a turn off, especially since we arent great defensively, but have been a bit better recently without big lugs in the team.

Still think he would be a value pick up for us, if it were to eventuate.

We currently don't have a 3rd Rd pick this year, we traded ours to you guys last year and you moved it to GC. Do future picks interest you? Any academy players next year? Otherwise an early 3rd could be acquired elsewhere during trade week.

Kennedy has no trade value because he is a Unrestricted Free Agent, as he was delisted last season, which means he is now a lifetime FA when out of contract. That being said, he is having a career resurgence at the moment. Should have a 2 year deal and senior promotion in front of him. And no he is not quick at all, although he is covering the ground much better this year (used to run like he was stuck in mud).

McLean's lack of agility is a bit of a turn off, especially since we arent great defensively, but have been a bit better recently without big lugs in the team.

Still think he would be a value pick up for us, if it were to eventuate.

We currently don't have a 3rd Rd pick this year, we traded ours to you guys last year and you moved it to GC. Do future picks interest you? Any academy players next year? Otherwise an early 3rd could be acquired elsewhere during trade week.

Kennedy has no trade value because he is a Unrestricted Free Agent, as he was delisted last season, which means he is now a lifetime FA when out of contract. That being said, he is having a career resurgence at the moment. Should have a 2 year deal and senior promotion in front of him. And no he is not quick at all, although he is covering the ground much better this year (used to run like he was stuck in mud).

None that would warrant a third round fire sale at this point in time. We nees KPP and ruck depth which is what Mclean provides

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater! Showed some signs this year, although a few times his non competitiveness was a concern.

Thi

This post could have been about Jesse White. At that point he’d played 70 or so games and kicked around 70 goals. He had 2 bags of 4. We got pick 44 for him.

I’d be very surprised if we get a second round pick for a tall who can’t get a senior game.
This is a good point. And I think White had twice the talent of McLean. But there’s something about McLean’s physicality that suggests to me we should try to retain him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back