Player Watch #2 Hayden McLean - re-signed end 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

bKHqmfVe.jpg

Hayden McLean

Player Profile

Pre-season supplementary list rules allowed the Sydney Swans to sign Hayden McLean in March 2019, and while injury ruled out the key-position player for seven of the first 10 NEAFL games of the season, he’d respond in commanding fashion. The former Sandringham Dragons skipper made his AFL debut as Sydney met Fremantle in Round 18, 2019, which saw him battle imposing ruck trio Aaron Sandilands, Sean Darcy and Rory Lobb, as well as a parochial Optus Stadium crowd. Coach John Longmire praised McLean’s debut performance and he finished the season with four AFL games beside his name. The 197-centimetre, 93-kilogram giant is chasing consistent AFL selection in 2020. Draft history: 2019 pre-season supplementary rookie selection

Hayden McLean

DOB:20 January 1999
DRAFT:2018
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/St Bede's Coll (Vic)/ Sand U18/Sand (VFL)

Last edited:
Surely this is Bud's last year and I wouldn't be surprised if it's Reid and Hickey's last as well. Moving forward, we need at least 2 of McDonald, McLean, Amartey and Ladhams to become reliable best 22.

I am hopeful that in 12 months time that there will be a smooth transition to Ladhams as number one ruck and McDonald entrenched as CHF, capable of 2-3 goals a game. If one of Amartey or McLean is a clear lock for the forward line then that will be a bonus.

Surely this is Bud's last year and I wouldn't be surprised if it's Reid and Hickey's last as well. Moving forward, we need at least 2 of McDonald, McLean, Amartey and Ladhams to become reliable best 22.

I am hopeful that in 12 months time that there will be a smooth transition to Ladhams as number one ruck and McDonald entrenched as CHF, capable of 2-3 goals a game. If one of Amartey or McLean is a clear lock for the forward line then that will be a bonus.
Unless we land another KPF on a big deal. We can do it!!

Really liked C88s analysis. I would just like to emphasise a few points

* like the more talented McDonald, McLean has a heap of footy smarts. You can see it with his positioning and deft taps.

* he is as brave as anyone - in his first ruck contest in his debut, he copped a driving knee into the ribs. He dusted himself off without any evident fuss and kept on keeping on. He won me from that point.

* when he started he had zero tank and was gassed by half time. He has worked like billyo since to become a respectable endurance runner. I am not a huge stats fan but in 2021 there were a couple of games where he covered the most kilometres for our team

* his work ethic to get better.

* When he wins a set shot from a mark or very rare free, I relax. He rarely misses.

Agree with all that but he’s lumbering, not great below the knees and has the turning circle of an aircraft carrier. Still, I’d have said the same about Nankervis, so what do I know!

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fair to say I'm not his biggest fan, but I have to take my hat off to him today as I think that was probably his best game for the club? Can't think of any better. Gave it a solid go in the ruck and around the ground as well as taking a few solid marks. Great goal as well!

Much discussion about what is acceptable aggression and what is not. This moment - McLean bowling over a Collingwood player, showing absolutely no regard for him afterwards, and then casually continuing on with his goal celebration - is just the ******* best.

CD60B42B-BA91-44E1-969A-40FEE72DAF74.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Becoming a more than handy 2nd ruck, his strength in the contest is a real advantage. Loved seeing Goldstein panic in the last 30 seconds and give away the free for a block.

McLean’s ruck work the past couple of weeks has been very good.

I actually think he turned the tide for us in the last quarter - the clearance massacre stopped once he started rucking. No idea why Horse didn’t use him there much earlier.

I still view him as having a limited ceiling - but credit for a fine game today.

McLean’s ruck work the past couple of weeks has been very good.

I actually think he turned the tide for us in the last quarter - the clearance massacre stopped once he started rucking. No idea why Horse didn’t use him there much earlier.

I still view him as having a limited ceiling - but credit for a fine game today.

He can play a role in the right forward set up & play that role pretty consistently imo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back