Retired # 2: Tom Bellchambers - Knocks Cam Mooney the **** out - 24/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 44. Tom Bellchambers

How about we give the kid a chance pretty hard to show your stuff with 30 minutes of game time

Why the rush ?
Hopefully he's got a long career in front of him. It is completely pointless throwing him to the wolves when he is undersized and out of his depth at the moment.

Rucks take three years minimum to develop. Just be patient and let him grow at Bendigo.

Fair enough but seriously until Laycock starts constantly tearing games up at Bendigo I dont want him back in the team, at least Bellchambers has got time on his side.

Hille needs help. The poor bloke tries his guts out but he can't do it on his own. The fact is Laycock is three times the footballer Bellchambers is at this stage in their development.

Besides if we want to trade Laycock at the end of the year we may as well start show casing his talents.

Hille needs help. The poor bloke tries his guts out but he can't do it on his own. The fact is Laycock is three times the footballer Bellchambers is at this stage in their development.

Besides if we want to trade Laycock at the end of the year we may as well start show casing his talents.

Or he could play really poorly and lower his value even more so :D:D

Bellchambers got his first AFL game on the weekend...how did he look?

I know he got little TOG, but did he look OK at AFL level or completely lost?

He was probably a bit short of the run. He wasn't horrible, but wasn't great. Still offers more than Lazycock does though!

Except of course for Laycock having not had a game this season (nor in his 49 games) where he has failed to get a hitout like Bellchambers did.

That and Laycock having kicked a goal in all but one of his games this season.

Bellchambers may well become a better player than Laycock, although there is little doubt Laycock has more natural talent. But there is no way Bellchambers offers more than Laycock at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good luck dude!
I saw him training the other month and he is an intimidating unit.

I was amazed at just how lean he looked when compared with guys like Minson and Hudson.

Looked like a CHF out there rucking in terms of body size.

Not bagging him btw, I thought he looked as decent as a second gamer playing in the ruck could.

pretty much every centre bounce he would look at the other ruckman rather than the ball. i hope this isnt how he has been taught to ruck

pretty much every centre bounce he would look at the other ruckman rather than the ball. i hope this isnt how he has been taught to ruck

The only time I saw that occur was when the ball seemed to deviate off line of the centre bounce.

Well done to Bellchambers! He definately showed something which was promising!

definitely promising, but at the same time you would hope he can improve on this aspect of his ruckwork.

hille had the same problem when he was young

i was impressed by his mobility and didn't look out of place with the ball in his hands. seemed composed and was rushed in dishing off handballes. his ruckwork needs a fair bit of improvement and needs to bulk up a fair bit but he didn't look as out of place as i thought he would

For a first year player he is a very exciting prospect and hopefully he can develop more and get a bit more TOG

I listened to him against the Dogs I think it was and he sounded very calmed controlled which is excellent for a first year player.

A pre-season or two in the gym and a bit more work on his ruck work and he will be a solid contributor for the Red & Black!:thumbsu:

Very composed and has a massive leap.
Tasmanian too, how can you go wrong?
Hislop, Lonergan, Bellch and Laycock all Tasmanians :D

Disappointing game last night, only the 5 disposals, took a solid mark up forward only to follow it with an out of bounds on the full. My main gripe with his game was, he seems to have adopted the Hille syndrome; jumping way to early in the ruck. Also needed to put some more defensive pressure on with Hudson taking some strong marks in the attacking end of the ground.

All in all he showed some good signs but IMO still behind Laycock in the pecking order.

Disappointing game last night, only the 5 disposals, took a solid mark up forward only to follow it with an out of bounds on the full. My main gripe with his game was, he seems to have adopted the Hille syndrome; jumping way to early in the ruck. Also needed to put some more defensive pressure on with Hudson taking some strong marks in the attacking end of the ground.

All in all he showed some good signs but IMO still behind Laycock in the pecking order.

if he keeps improving at the same rate, though, we'll have a pretty good big man on our hands in 3-4 years

Well given its his second year and Laycock has been around for 6 seasons now you would expect that.
I agree with what you say , Tommy needs a bit of work with his around the ground stuff but that was always going to be the case. IMO thta was his biggest weakness before he was drafted.
Im not going to call his game disapointing. He is a second year ruckman who really would not have played any senior footy if we did not have injuries. What we are getting out of him now is a bonus for the future.
Tommy's place in the pecking order has been hugely inflated by people's attitude to Laycock the whipping boy.

Not concerned about Tom's game, it's all part of the learning process. Being a ruckmen, he will need a few years at least to develop, learn and understand the role the ruckmen plays. Hille will be a great guy for him to follow, as well as having Simon Madden around.
No need to rush him either, cos remember how long it has taken Hille to become an an elite ruckmen. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back